My Linkin Park manifesto.

Spyder

I don't know what made me want to write a small novel of Linkin Park opinions. I guess I just had some sort of f***ed up epiphany.

Hello.

This post I hope will tell people how I feel about LP, and maybe change some messed up opinions around here. Let me tell you, not everything I say in this member-by-member synopsis is going to be "OMFG LEIK LINNKKKKIN PRK IS THE SHIZZLE! THEY R LIEK SO COOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!" but I certainly do not hate them either.

Now, my album reviews commence:

Hybrid Theory EP:

01. Carousel: One of LP best's songs. I love the chorus. (10/10)
02. Technique: Since this is Hahn's track on the disc, "Technique" is a great name, putting a generic spelling for the turntable brand "Technic" (pronounced "Technique") on the title. (6/10)
03. Step Up: One of the Mike-only tracks LP is ever done. In the chorus, Mike proves he can sing/scream and not just rap. Meanwhile the verses and spat out as well as Eminem's. (9.5/10)
04. And One: Now we have a Chester only track. Pretty good, but not one of my favorites. What really lifts the song up is the freestyle Mike does at the end. (7/10)
05. High Voltage: My favorite LP track, hands down. This work of genius should be on LP's next album. (15/10)
06. Part of Me: I was disappointed by this song. Normally, I change the CD after HV. (5/10)

Overall: 52.5/60. Thats a B.

Hybrid Theory:

01. Papercut: This is what LP is all about. Hard-rocking vocals and swift guitar. If some clueless person ever asks you "what does Linkin Park sound like?" play them this. (9/10)
02. One Step Closer: Possibly LP's hardest song. I love the video, but would've been twice as good if it was at least 3:30 long. (8/10)
03. With You: I like the sool sounds that Hahn makes in the beginning, but nothing else stands out except when Chester screams "it's true/the way I feel/what's promised by your face/the sound of your voice/painted on my memories". (6/10)
04. Points of Authority: Was my persona anthem for six months of my eight-year-old life. The raps Mike do in the beginning and the bridge are great. (10/10)
05. Crawling: I used to love this song, but my friend Josh is so addicted to it, that I hear it anytime he's at my house, so for that, I'm taking off two points from it's original 8/10. (6/10)
06. Runaway: Blech. Mike should've been in this one. For spending two weeks writing this, this one really sucked. It's amazing what great writing can come from frustration, because OSC was written because Chester and Mike were throwing daily hissy fits for half a month because they couldn't think of anything for this song. Take my humble advice, and listen to OSC instead. (5/10)
7. By Myself: Holy bed-wetters, this song rocks. It probably IS LP's hardest song, OSC coming in second. I love the chorus. But I get sad whenever I listen to it, because I know that if LP is still around in 10 years, that we will never hear another song like this, becuase Chaz will ruin his voice wailing his brains out like this. (9.5)
8. In the End: Once again, terribly overplayed, but it still rocks. Listen to this one closely, and try and find Mr. Hahn's keyboards in there. They sound really good. The same four-note loop runs throughout the song, so there isn't once specific place to listen for it in. (8/10)
9. Place for My Head: Mike raps great here. Good all the way through, although the chorus doesn't really stand out. (7/10)
10. Forgotten: Almost all Mike. Not much to say, I never really likes this one. Kind of stale. (5.5/10)
11. Cure for the Itch: I never really liked the Hahn tracks, but better than "Session". (6/10)
12. Pushing Me Away: Chester has great harmonics in the verses. In the chorus, he seems to be trying a little "Eddie Vedder". (8/10)

Overall: 88/120. My least favorite of all LP discs.

Meteora:

01. Foreword: A nice intro, but should've been put on the beginning of don't stay, They were probably putting this on its own track for cred. (6/10)
02. Don't Stay: Love it. Great scratching by Chairman Hahn, and Chester and Mike are great. Makes you wanna jump. (10/10)
03. Somewhere I Belong: Overplayed and overrated. Doesn't even come close to my favorite LP track. (7.5/10)
04. Lying from You: I don't know why nobody else likes this. It'd a great song and once again, great sound effects from Joe. My second favorite LP song. (11/10)
05. Hit the Floor: The "By Myself" of Meteora. Fast, meaningful verses, and messed up screaming in the chorus. Almost all Mike (8/10)
06. Easier to Run: A great song. The words fit so well to the music, it's almost unbelievable that the veses came from a free-writing verse courtesy of Chazy-Chaz. Mike's little chant is great, and I love how he almost whispers the words. (10/10)
07. Faint: The club hit of the band. Bouncy, and short. The best single, in my opinion. (9.5/10)
08. Figure.09: Obviously, the boys had a hard time coming up with a name for this song. Already using the title "Part of Me", I gues they just pulled a random name out of their ass. (8/10)
09. Breaking the Habit: Good song, but I don't respect Mike's little use in the song, since he was the one who cunducted the orchestra and wrote it with no help. (8/10)
10. From the Inside: A small single, and pretty slow. Once again, I wish Mike had had a part in the chorus. (9/10)
11. Nobody's Listening: Follows the same format as "Hit the Floor", with lengthy hip-hop verses from Mike, and a chorus with alternating lines in between Chester and Mike, but nowhere near as good. (7/10)
12. Session: WTF Hahn? You are the best DJ in the world (tied with Kilmore of Incubus, of course) and all you come up with is this? Tsk tsk tsk. (5/10)
13. Numb: My second favorite of the singles, this song closes this short lived album with a bang. Mike does beautiful piano work here. (9/10)

Overall: 100/130 Good, but has some weak spots.

Now, my reviews of the members come into place:

Chester "Chazy-Chaz" Bennington -

Possibly the best screamer in ROCK ever (not metal). Very talented lyricist, and had a cool hairdo.

Chester's preformance on HT EP: His voice was still maturing, therefore is not his best work, but showed emotion on "And One" that I do not think he will ever show again.
Chester's preformance on HT: His best vocal performance. Songs like "Papercut" and "In the End" and chock full of his crooning.
Chester's preformance on Meteora: Good. Breaking the Habit was reat. His screaming was on-key, and just with the right amount of anger. Definitely his most mature display, but not the best.
What I expect Chester to do on the next album: I would like to hear more singing.

Mike "the Glue" Shinoda -

Also a great writer. He can play your heart strings like a harp.

Mike's performance on HT EP: His angriest, and his rawest. I love "Step Up" and "High Voltage".
Mike's performance on HT: Very mature, and loud. A definite improvement on the EP.
Mike's performance on Meteora: Heasrtfelt, but doesn't have the sense of anger and frustration like the EP had. I wish he could go back to being like that.
What I expect Mike to do on the next album: I would like faster rapping, and some more funky beats.

Brad "BBB" Delson -

A simple guitarist, but a good one at that.

Brad's performance on HT EP: His most complicated. Let's just leave it at that.
Brad's performance on HT: His most simplistic. I like the guitar, but experimenting more would be great.
Brad's preformance on Meteora: More complicated, but I would still like to see something better.
What I expect Brad to do on the next album: I want more complicated, intricate guitar. I'm not saying for him to go almost impossible difficult ala Slayer, but maybe get into a more deep range.

"Phoenix" Farrell -

A soon-to-be great bass player, just needs a little help.

Phoenix' performance on HT EP: Just like Brad, it was his best. I wish the whole band could go back like they used to be.
HT: apparently Phoenix wasn't with the band for this album, so I won't review him on it.
Phoenix' performance on Meteora: Good, but I can sense that "pillow=thudder that wants to to be more challenged" thing going.
What I expect Phoenix to do on the next album: Get a six-string bass, and use a pick. Those are the two marks of great bassists.

Joseph "Chairman Hahn" Hahn -

Amazing DJ, although he has much more potential that what is being used, just like the rest of the band.

Joe's performance on HT EP: He doesn't have many parts, but him and Mike bring down the house on "Step Up".
Joe's performance on HT: Great. Almost at his peak, but experimenting with new sound effects, and high and low notes on the turntables would make them as important to LP as the guitars.
Joe's performace on Meteora: Has some great solos here. At his prime. Best on "Hit the Floor", and the many solos on "Don't Stay" were phenomenal.
What I expect Joe to do on the next album: I want him to be on the songs as much as any other member. DJs have always been taken for granted, and thank god LP and Incubus came around and bitchslapped all these bands who have one for show. Linkin Park needs to live up to what they say, and Hahn, should be eager to own a song. Chester, Mike, Brad, Rob, and Phoenix are. Who's keeping him in the background?

Rob Bourdon -

Fast, lively drummer who could be as prolific as Joey Jordison (I hope to God you know who he is).

Rob's performance on HT EP: The worst. Not good at all. couldn't keep a beat for anything.
Rob's performance on HT: Better, but still not reaching his full potential.
Rob's performance on Meteora: Also getting better, but he is virtually nonexistent, and the drums don't make all that big of an impact on the song. I want the band to tune down, and let the drums be heard!
What I expect Rob to do on the next album: Get a twenty-piece kit with double bass drums, and I want to hear a beat twice as fast as "Faint". Yes, you heard me right. Work it.

This concludes my bitchin' long summary of my views on Linkin Park.

wow? Hybrid Theory your least favorite? That CD is my personal favorite.

And Rob not a very good drum player? have you seen him live? I think he's awesome

But everyone has opinions and our just are different :D

I think that was a very talented review.

I've read your whole review, Spyder. It's pretty interesting. I actually like Part Of Me from the Hybrid Theory EP. Mike with faster rapping? That'll be crazy, lol. I like Mike when he raps his angriest. I would also like to hear Chester with more regular singing like in Breaking The Habit and his verses in From The Inside.

Spyder said:
Hello.

This post I hope will tell people how I feel about LP, and maybe change some messed up opinions around here. Let me tell you, not everything I say in this member-by-member synopsis is going to be "OMFG LEIK LINNKKKKIN PRK IS THE SHIZZLE! THEY R LIEK SO COOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!" but I certainly do not hate them either.

Now, my album reviews commence:

Hybrid Theory EP:

01. Carousel: One of LP best's songs. I love the chorus. (10/10)
02. Technique: Since this is Hahn's track on the disc, "Technique" is a great name, putting a generic spelling for the turntable brand "Technic" (pronounced "Technique") on the title. (6/10)
03. Step Up: One of the Mike-only tracks LP is ever done. In the chorus, Mike proves he can sing/scream and not just rap. Meanwhile the verses and spat out as well as Eminem's. (9.5/10)
04. And One: Now we have a Chester only track. Pretty good, but not one of my favorites. What really lifts the song up is the freestyle Mike does at the end. (7/10)
05. High Voltage: My favorite LP track, hands down. This work of genius should be on LP's next album. (15/10)
06. Part of Me: I was disappointed by this song. Normally, I change the CD after HV. (5/10)

Overall: 52.5/60. Thats a B.

Hybrid Theory:

01. Papercut: This is what LP is all about. Hard-rocking vocals and swift guitar. If some clueless person ever asks you "what does Linkin Park sound like?" play them this. (9/10)
02. One Step Closer: Possibly LP's hardest song. I love the video, but would've been twice as good if it was at least 3:30 long. (8/10)
03. With You: I like the sool sounds that Hahn makes in the beginning, but nothing else stands out except when Chester screams "it's true/the way I feel/what's promised by your face/the sound of your voice/painted on my memories". (6/10)
04. Points of Authority: Was my persona anthem for six months of my eight-year-old life. The raps Mike do in the beginning and the bridge are great. (10/10)
05. Crawling: I used to love this song, but my friend Josh is so addicted to it, that I hear it anytime he's at my house, so for that, I'm taking off two points from it's original 8/10. (6/10)
06. Runaway: Blech. Mike should've been in this one. For spending two weeks writing this, this one really sucked. It's amazing what great writing can come from frustration, because OSC was written because Chester and Mike were throwing daily hissy fits for half a month because they couldn't think of anything for this song. Take my humble advice, and listen to OSC instead. (5/10)
7. By Myself: Holy bed-wetters, this song rocks. It probably IS LP's hardest song, OSC coming in second. I love the chorus. But I get sad whenever I listen to it, because I know that if LP is still around in 10 years, that we will never hear another song like this, becuase Chaz will ruin his voice wailing his brains out like this. (9.5)
8. In the End: Once again, terribly overplayed, but it still rocks. Listen to this one closely, and try and find Mr. Hahn's keyboards in there. They sound really good. The same four-note loop runs throughout the song, so there isn't once specific place to listen for it in. (8/10)
9. Place for My Head: Mike raps great here. Good all the way through, although the chorus doesn't really stand out. (7/10)
10. Forgotten: Almost all Mike. Not much to say, I never really likes this one. Kind of stale. (5.5/10)
11. Cure for the Itch: I never really liked the Hahn tracks, but better than "Session". (6/10)
12. Pushing Me Away: Chester has great harmonics in the verses. In the chorus, he seems to be trying a little "Eddie Vedder". (8/10)

Overall: 88/120. My least favorite of all LP discs.

Meteora:

01. Foreword: A nice intro, but should've been put on the beginning of don't stay, They were probably putting this on its own track for cred. (6/10)
02. Don't Stay: Love it. Great scratching by Chairman Hahn, and Chester and Mike are great. Makes you wanna jump. (10/10)
03. Somewhere I Belong: Overplayed and overrated. Doesn't even come close to my favorite LP track. (7.5/10)
04. Lying from You: I don't know why nobody else likes this. It'd a great song and once again, great sound effects from Joe. My second favorite LP song. (11/10)
05. Hit the Floor: The "By Myself" of Meteora. Fast, meaningful verses, and messed up screaming in the chorus. Almost all Mike (8/10)
06. Easier to Run: A great song. The words fit so well to the music, it's almost unbelievable that the veses came from a free-writing verse courtesy of Chazy-Chaz. Mike's little chant is great, and I love how he almost whispers the words. (10/10)
07. Faint: The club hit of the band. Bouncy, and short. The best single, in my opinion. (9.5/10)
08. Figure.09: Obviously, the boys had a hard time coming up with a name for this song. Already using the title "Part of Me", I gues they just pulled a random name out of their ass. (8/10)
09. Breaking the Habit: Good song, but I don't respect Mike's little use in the song, since he was the one who cunducted the orchestra and wrote it with no help. (8/10)
10. From the Inside: A small single, and pretty slow. Once again, I wish Mike had had a part in the chorus. (9/10)
11. Nobody's Listening: Follows the same format as "Hit the Floor", with lengthy hip-hop verses from Mike, and a chorus with alternating lines in between Chester and Mike, but nowhere near as good. (7/10)
12. Session: WTF Hahn? You are the best DJ in the world (tied with Kilmore of Incubus, of course) and all you come up with is this? Tsk tsk tsk. (5/10)
13. Numb: My second favorite of the singles, this song closes this short lived album with a bang. Mike does beautiful piano work here. (9/10)

Overall: 100/130 Good, but has some weak spots.

I won't let you insult linkin park as you are doing little buddy, your short life doesnt let you compare LP to the rest of bands, LP is like a phenomenon, I been addicted to music since 1997, and indeed, they hit the market, when their first album came out, and you are givin some songs a too low qualification, I think you should think it twice.

REALISTIC SCORES:
HYBRID THEORY EP
1. Carousel: First LP heavy song (8/10)
2. Technique: First Mr.Hahn try, come on ! it's 0:50 mins (5/10)
3. Step Up: Mike performing rap (7/10)
4. And One: First song when Chester came into the band, very emotional also (8.5/10)
5. High Voltage: Another pure rap song, chester takes part (7.5/10)
6. Part Of Me: Weakest, demo version is better (6.5/10)

Average Score: 7.1 (yes, it is a more precise score)

HYBRID THEORY
1. Papercut: Just like they are (9/10)
2. One Step Closer: If I hadn't heard this, i wouldnt have bought the album (10/10)
3. With you: It's like a classical song, they will never stop performing this (8/10)
4. Points of Authority: I dont like it as much as the first times, but i value it (8.5/10)
5. Crawlin': A masterpiece, there's no song like this (10/10)
6. Runaway: Another LP classical song, good rhytms (8.5/10)
7. By Myself: I still can feel the rage in mike and chester vocals (8.2/10)
8. In The End: ...(10/10)
9. A place for my head: LP's birth, this is the source of good music (9/10)
10. Forgotten: Forgotten (7/10)
11. Cure For The Itch: (8/10)
12. Pushin me away: Another symbol for LP (8/10)

Average Score: 8.7 (if you havent buy the album yet, go find it right now !)
Again, this is a better score for HT

METEORA
1. Foreword: Does it deserve some sort of qualification? I will not count it
2. Don't Stay: Doesn't convience me at all (8/10)
3. Somewhere I belong: It has good and bad points (8/10)
4. Lying From you: Could have been much better (7.5/10)
5. Hit The Floor: short life song, heard it once, neva again (6/10)
6. Easier to Run: Lyrics are well conceived (7/10)
7. Faint: Another masterpiece (10/10)
8. Figure.09: Yes, Part of me new version, this time, much more improved (8.5/10)
9. Breakin' The Habit: It's like a new type of song, very emotional, good rhtyms, lyrics are great...but not that strong as others, new fusion (9/10)
10. From The Inside: Excelent..one weak point: very repetitive (8.7/10)
11. Nobody's Listening: I think LP guys now that they could do it much better (6/10)
12.Session: In my opinion, best Mr.Hahn work till now (9/10)
13. Numb: Another song following this "new fusion", now with piano (10/10)

Average score: 8.1

Ok, these are the correct (or more correct) scores for the albums. Ot the boy who wrote the reviews, hey buddy, how could you rate HT with a lower score than Meteora? Meteora is ok, but in all cases, HT wins by far. You have no idea about what LP has won thanks to HT, meteora explores new LP sides, and it discover this kind of new fusion i hope i see in further albums, but HT is still much better.

Thanks very much all

spyder, i don't understand you sayin that rob is a bad drummer. try listening to LIT for example. on many songs there, rob adds a beat here and there (where there isn't one on the album version) and makes his drumming more complex. credit to him for that. also, the drumming of many many lp songs like somwhere i belong, faint, crawling, runaway is pure brilliance. i put him on the same list as lars ulrich, joey jordison, the drummer of korn, drummer of incubus and so on.
and HT is the reason for most of lp's success. how can you possibly rate meteora higher? i mean, yeah they matured but that's what i like about HT and HT EP, they're so raw, they're not changing their music or adjusting it as much as they do on meteora. i'm not saying tho that meteora is a bad album, it's good but not as good as HT.
i disagree with you on almost every rating you gave a song. but, i don't feel like wasting time on what sum ppl think about this song and so on and so forth

Back