Oil filter question, what side out?

ridingred

I believe the honda oem filters say "this side out". I want to make sure i've been running my correctly. The hi flo's do not say which side should be out, but the rubber side is out right? the rubber side is on the filter cover post and then the hole on the other side of the filter goes over the spring correct?

thanks in advance

My manual says something like .57 qt for the tranny side. I put 3/4 of a qt in and oil still didn't want to come out of the check hole. This is probably my 8th time changing the oil. Before i could never get any oil to come out of that hole so i was always putting in around 5/8 of a qt. and calling it good. I always make sure to start the machine and let it run and then wait a few minutes and then take the check bolt out. So now i've got about 3/4 of a qt. and it's still not running out the check hole. If i tip the quad up, oil will come out. maybe i'm just being a freak about it, but i just don't want to keep adding if it's way over what it calls for.

Listen to this fool.............pull the big plug out and fill it till its ready to come out of the big plug. I dont keep track of how much it takes either, just add till its ready to come out

easy bud. ok, so you guys don't use the check bolt? I have never had any luck using mine as mentioned so i've just been putting the specified amount in, that's why i just wondered what thoughts were, far as checking it other than by how much goes in. thanks.

I personally poor in the bike till it runs out the hole. Let it settle and it will drain off the excess. Usually not much. Honestly never measured how.much goes in.

I Always use the hole. I say use the hole repeatedly

hahah, "use the hole repeatedly", you got it!

ok, so i guess i'll just keep on adding oil until it finally wants to drip out of that hole. Now, if I end up puttin an entire quart in and the manual calls for .57, then what do i do? just keep adding it until it comes out the hole? haha.

.57 seems a little low compared to what I usually put in mine. I would say I put in .7-.8 of a quart. ill pay attention on the next fill up

Back