**** on a shingle

phreakwars

I LOVE **** on a shingle.

View attachment 2958

It was one of those cheap foods I ate as a kid back in the 80's.

Mom & Grandma, had 2 versions.

1 with Budding shaved Corned beef, one with hamburger.

Both methods involved frying the meat up a bit, add flour, then milk, pray you have no lumps.

Serve on toast. In our house, it was usually just bread, we weren't all into toast.

Fast forward to today, **** on a shingle is one of the foods I can actually get my kids to eat too.

However, I don't serve it on toast, I serve it on Pillsbury Grands frozen biscuits.

http://www.pillsbury...Frozen-Biscuits\

I also don't follow the old school method my mom or grandma used. I simplify things so that ANYBODY can do it.

So, on with the recipe.

**** ON A SHINGLE:

Start by cooking hamburger in a large enough gravy pot, it beats pouring it all into another pan besides the frying pan, or if your frying pan is big enough to hold the 5 cups of milk plus hamburger use it.

Brown the beef until the water on bottom has evaporated and then pour in all 5 cups of milk, and dump in the 2 pkg's of country gravy mix. Don't worry about lumps, turn your heat down to about medium, and get out a wisk. Slowly mix while scraping the bottom of the pot with the whisk, you should have ZERO lumps.

After the gravy starts to bubble up, turn it off, mix it a bit more, let it set about 3-5 minutes before serving.

Serve on toast or Biscuits.

If using corned beef, you'll want to chop your corned beef into little 1/2 inch x 1/2 or smaller bits. Put about a tablespoon of oil (I use butter flavored Crisco), in the bottom of the gravy pot, and cook the meat till it darkens a tad, then throw in the milk and gravy mix.

What's great about this meal, is it's super easy to do, only 3 main ingredients, and you can make it EASILY for under $10.

Attachments

• 944090c4d169ea7d04c6f83252ccc483.jpg
    944090c4d169ea7d04c6f83252ccc483.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 9
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Chipped_beef

U.S. Military cuisine

Chipped beef on toast (or creamed chipped beef on toast) is a foodstuff comprising a creamy roux sauce (Béchamel) and rehydrated slivers of dried beef, served on toasted bread. Hormel recommends flavoring the dish with Worcestershire sauce and dried parsley. In military slang it is commonly referred to by the dysphemism "**** On a Shingle" (SOS)—or more politely, "Stew On a Shingle" or "Same Old Stuff". Chipped beef is also often served on English muffins, biscuits, home fries, and in casseroles.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like cat puke. However if you say it's good I'll take your word for it.
Imagine biscuits & gravy, but with a different meat then sausage.

A nice white gravy on toast is excellent too.

For you, I would recommend the chipped beef method on biscuits (or toast... TRY toast, you may be surprised) if you have never tried this before. Goes GREAT with baked beans or pork and beans!

I like the hamburger method on plain bread with fresh onion on top.
Yum!!

I too had this growing up, either with real chipped beef or the Carl Budding kind. It's pretty damn good.

We always had it over toast.

I'll see your sh t on a shingle, and raise you one toad in a hole.
9753.jpg

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9753/toad+in+the+hole

Recipe adjusted for the single guys (or gals) on a tight "OBAMA CREATED" budget.

1/2 lb hamburger OR 4oz. (2 pkg) Thinly sliced corn beef.
1 pkg of Southern mills Country GRAVY mix
2 1/2 cups of milk
1 Loaf of Bread

So let's see....

The corned beef would be the most expensive at about .69 cents a pkg x2= 1.38
The hamburger will run you 1.89 a lb if you use the cheap stuff 80% or lower give or take for quality of the beef, your talking maybe $1.00 for half a pound
Gravy will run you $1.09 (price at my local stores and wal-mart)
Milk we can give a price of about $1.50 for 2 1/2 cups.
Bread.. eh, a buck .50
+
+
=

Could feed 3 easily.

x 7 days a week
=

I'll see your sh t on a shingle, and raise you one toad in a hole.
9753.jpg

http://www.taste.com...oad+in+the+hole
That doesn't sound bad at all. I might even have to try that this week.

Strange, I have been craving sausages and kraut as of late with some mashed potatoes.

Nobody at my house will even TRY kraut. I'm thinking this toad in the hole recipe might be improved upon by adding kraut to the batter... YUMM!!.

I hearby call dibs on that method and rename it "FROGS IN A SWAP" and claim this recipe in the name of America and Democracy

That doesn't sound bad at all. I might even have to try that this week.

Strange, I have been craving sausages and kraut as of late with some mashed potatoes.

Nobody at my house will even TRY kraut. I'm thinking this toad in the hole recipe might be improved upon by adding kraut to the batter... YUMM!!.

I hearby call dibs on that method and rename it "FROGS IN A SWAP" and claim this recipe in the name of America and Democracy

Phunny, I'm catering for three German exchange students. They added canned kraut, and then smother the finished product in mayo and hot chilli paste.

Back