picked up a 97 cr500 engine....put it in the R?

XxMurdocxX

I was wondering if anyone has done this. I have seen it done with 400ex frames. What kind of fabricating would need to be done? Any info on this matter would be greatly apreciated.

Not a good idea... They vibrate like crazy... If you want, I have a 400ex rolling chassis that is ready for a CR500 to drop right in... $650 and she is yours

If you are willing to put the effort and money in.

I rode a "budget" 250r/500 hybrid. Vibrated your hands and feet numb and broke the motor mounts like 3 times in half a year. Ended up being more trouble than it was worth.

Fast as hell though.

ive seen a counter balancer kit for the CR500 motor. some guy did it to a 250R on youtube and it fixed the vibration problem. i would prefer the 450R chassis over the 400ex chassis

this swap is alot of trouble for less then 50 hp!! if you do it,make sure and get a good raceport/pro light piston/ 44mm carb/custom built pipe !!

Yeah it isn't hard to get it counterbalanced a guy i know has done it in a 400ex frame and that thing runs like a raped ape he said if he could do it all over again he would use an r frame though because it is better than the ex frame and the rad mounts are better

Less than 50 hp? The stock 500 puts out at least 55. Throw on a big bore stroker kit they make for it and you're in for white knuckle ride. Yeah its going to be a project for sure but when its done it will be a BEAST!!!! Im going to use a 44mm lectron power jet. Right now im just getting ideas as im doing a tri z big bore dune build that is eating up most of my free time. Probably start this winter

49 hp is the most ive ever seen from a stock cr500'' and that was the 85/86! the hottest 500's ever made'' guess i better dig around some more on youtube to find higher numbers''lol

ya, just like i thought they would say,,approximately''' like i said,i never seen one crack 50'' its like they say my raptor puts down 48 but in realword,its more like 39/40 tops'' ill poke around and see if someone has some more current dyno pulls with one'' ive had 7 cr500's and they were all fast bikes''someday ill pick one up again ,there a rush to ride'''

Stuff it in a 3 wheeler frame, work the engine over, custom built pipe, carb, reeds, etc and hang the hell on.. got a buddy with a kx500 stuffed in a 3 wheeler damn thing is scary to ride, but fun

i want to do a 450R/ CR500 build. ive always wanted a CR500 powered quad. and only 49HP? its more than that and they are very mild from the factory but have tons of potential. the CR500 will wax a CRF450 in a drag race. also the 500 is low maintenance, reliable, and torquey because of the large displacement... its the perfect open class motor! also the potential power the 500 2 stroke can make would make the 450 4 stroke a joke in comparison.

do the counter balance kit, fab up the motor and exhaust mounts, and convert the kicker to kick forward. after that you have the electrical and radiator hoses ect. i would imagine the stock 450R radiator would work fine with custom hoses

i would like to do one to look like it came from the factory

Back