Pretentious language

Mohammed_Rots_In_Hell said:
Balderdash means nonsense.. I prefer the term "Horse ****", it means the same and has a Texas flair. But I do like the term "Balderdash" because professor Farnsworth on Futurama uses it.
You keep writing that word, I'm going to start saying it :p

Damnit.
I think..yep
It's stuck.
gets Q-tip

GET OUTTA MY HEAD!!!!

Silver_dragon87 said:
Just out of curiosity--show of hands. If you heard someone use the following words in a conversation, would you call them pretentious?

skewed
dwindle
reiterate
insinuate
qualms
balderdash (said loudly)
pitfalls
quirks
striven

Let me know.

raises hand

hmmmm SD, I have used "quirk" and would probably would have used"pitfalls","re-interate" and "dwindle"..so I guess in your book, that makes me pretentious.

but I was only trying to be facetious... :eek:

The only ppl I hear using those words you listed are polititians and some of them are former lawyers.

I meant in real life...I have met my electorate m.p several times, and used a lawyer.

Go to the vocab thread for that kind of talk.

Besides, the written word is much different to the spoken.

I can harp on endlessly in prosaic bullshit terminology, as evidenced in the above thread.

In real life, I have to watch my tongue. I'm more prone to use **** and arsehole and ****, than fornicate rectum and vagina.

Silver_dragon87 said:
Just out of curiosity--show of hands. If you heard someone use the following words in a conversation, would you call them pretentious?

skewed
dwindle
reiterate
insinuate
qualms
balderdash (said loudly)
pitfalls
quirks
striven

Let me know.

I use dwindle, reiterate (that's a favorite of mine), insinuate, qualms, and quirks. Not every day, but quite often. Nothing pretentious about it. I'm not going to dumb my vocabulary down just because you don't like the way it sounds.

angie said:
I use dwindle, reiterate (that's a favorite of mine), insinuate, qualms, and quirks. Not every day, but quite often. Nothing pretentious about it. I'm not going to dumb my vocabulary down just because you don't like the way it sounds.

Good for you Angie.

I like to bamboozle straights with textual teasers. Particularly gov employees.

It helps if you smile like an idiot while you are taking them out verbally. :D

RoyalOrleans said:
I use balderdash all the time. It's so much more descriptive than using the term bullshit.

I use Mother ****er Tittie Sucker Two Balled Bitch's Horseshit, but it is rather non-descriptive compared to balderdash. :eek:

RoyalOrleans said:
I use balderdash all the time. It's so much more descriptive than using the term bullshit.

I tired of Balderdash and went to

HORSE-FEATHERS!

on accounta school teachers can't swear at kids.

(can't smack 'em either)

I don't see them as pretentious but I do have to admit that if someone has really pissed me off, I purposely mispronounce their name and use 'big' words so they will feel stupid and insignificant...lol
You should try it, its loads of fun.
Yes I know I'm a bitch !!!
At least I'm honest about it.

lol skate, did she mean to???
that was funny.
I only do it to people who are real ****in ****s.
I have always had this problem with people mispronouncing my name, I have a strange one, I think of it as my way of fighting back.
If someone pronounces it right it shocks me.

Back