s10 problems....HELP

mx450r919

For all you mechanics out there that k now about trucks. Ive got a 98 Chevy s10 4.3L vortec with a 5 speed. Its having issues lately, sometimes it starts sometimes it doesnt. When it doesnt start, it doesnt even crank, all lights in gauge cluster comes on, just acts like it has bad ground, i have a brand new battery too! I've checked all my grounds!! Its almost like the neutral safety sensor is causing this, but when i hook a pair of jumper cables, it fires right up. Im getting 14 volts when its running, and 12v when its not wanting to start. If ya'll could throw some ideas out there, let me know!!!

my brother in law had a similar problem sometimes it wouldnt start and when it wouldnt he would have to wait like 30 mins to get it to start does your truck have a security system on it?

:doublepuke:this happen to a buddys truck and it turns out it had a bad ignition switch!! hope you find your gremlin!!

Does the key have the pellet resistor in it? As black jack mentioned with the ign switch, there are two contacts inside the switch that make contact through the small pellet that could possibly be worn out.

Sorry im late to repsonsing back! But i believe its the ignition switch! i have to keep turning it on and off in order for it to start, motor is blown as we speak...she just **** on me...lol. Im gonna buy a used motor with 50K on it for $300..

How imaginable is it to drop a Cummins 4BT into my 2wd extended cab? I was thinkning about doing that instead of dropping the old v6 back in it. Plus, i can easily get 35mpg out of it once its done? Anybody know muchh about 5 speeds that would bolt up and handle at max 400horses?

You'll be spending more time with frame modifications to handle the weight and the extra torque than finding ways to get a trans to fit. You'll also have to beef up the suspension substantially. An old friend of mine did this with an old '85 chevy 3/4 ton and just to see the fabrication on the frame and such is a work of art but, a ton of work, even for his fabrication shop. If it was me, I'd look for a junk yard 5.3 for about 500 bucks.

might just do the 4.8L conversion...might be alot better. cause im sure i can find a 4.8, and the 4.8"s use the nv3500 5 speed tranny

Back