sandt38

sandt38

wheelchair class racer
n00b to this forum, but old school forum member. I promise not to be that annoying ass n00b. I will search, and not reply like a moron.

I am a 25 year master automotive tech specializing in domestic and Asian drivability. In my past I have done everything from truck work for Ryder, high performance work in So Cal, to drivability and electrical work. My current position is as shop foreman in a dealership setting, and my job is simply diagnose the cars and pass the work on. I also do the internal engine work (major rebuild, crank kits, rerings, etc) and rear end work.

My babygirl...

I have decided to get back into the hobby. Been away for about 20 years now, but we got my son a bike for Christmas and now I have to get one. I am really doing my research more than anything else, but I will be buying sometime this year. I really feel like I have decided on the TRX450R, but I am making certain this is what I want.

So I will lurk in the sections I don't know about, but share in the WOT forum.

Welcome to the HQ... I'm sure there would be more than one of that would trade you our bikes for your car. Everyone loves a Grand National

Welcome man! Sounds like you have many years experience turning wrenches, so I doubt you could have too many noob questions lol! Definitely a nice GN, what does that thing run? You have made a good decision to go with the TRX450R, they are a great machine and are a good base for whatever kind of build you have planned. Keep us posted on what you get and if you need any parts the classifieds on this forum is a great place to look.

Thanks!

Too many years turning wrenches if you want to know the truth. Admittedly I have no experience inside an ATVs motor, but I just threw a new one on my son's bike. I am going to tear the old one down to get familiar with it. But honestly my goals are fairly mild for now. I am just lurking so I can see how certain work affects the overall performance of the bike, from motor mods, to tuning, to suspension. I like to learn from people who have experience, and forums like this are the best way to do it.

The GN runs 11.86@124MPH. Aside from a front mount intercooler, 3" downpipe, larger turbo and injectors I have tried to keep it mostly stock in appearance. I run 8.5:1 pistons with forged internals and a crankcase girdle. The cam is a custom cut to increase exhaust speeds and reduce lag, and I run 350 Chevy lifters so they don't bleed down as fast as the 231 lifters at high speeds, with 1.65 stamped rockers (I wanted to keep the low profile valve covers to keep it stock in appearance for street racing). The tranny is an Art Carr unit, with a manual valve body and a 3500 stall 9 inch converter. I rounded out the drivetrain with 3.73s in the rear. I tried 4.11s but wound up running out of gear in the 1/4 with it. 265/55/15s help the ass end grab ground.

Back