Should he be fired for hating christians?

DizzyME

While I was looking for something else, I ran into a news article from June about a Sociology professor whose comment in a paper he wrote got him into a bit of trouble. The New York teacher stated something to the effect of Christians being fundamentalist morons.

Don't professors have a right to their own opinion? It freaks me out that people get so annoyed about comments like this. So he doesn't like Christians. Big ****ing deal.

I found a site that ran a Hannity/Combs commentary on this issue and they seemed to think the man should be fired. I think it's insane. (And since this is old news I don't think he was fired, I went to his website, and from what I could tell he is still teaching there)

Should he be fired? I think it's a dumb question, and the answer in MY opinion is HELL NO he should NOT be fired, but it seems some people may disagree...

ATTENTION: THIS IS NOT THE SAME CASE I WROTE ABOUT IN THE "WHAT PISSES YOU OFF" SECTION. TOTALLY DIFFERENT SITUATION.

Wow. This sounds strikingly similar to this thread...
http://Off Topic Forum.com/showthread.php?t=60863

Again there are not enough details about the article or case to comment fully. You must also see it from the other side. Non-Christians will see nothing wrong with this comment, however if a professor was to say all atheists are anarchists, or all those who have abortions are sluts, or all Muslims are child molesters, you can see how people might be offended by such an ignorant generalization. Worse than that is the prospect of someone so ignorant as to make such a generalization actually teaching others

ToriAllen said:
Wow. This sounds strikingly similar to this thread...
http://Off Topic Forum.com/showthread.php?t=60863

Again there are not enough details about the article or case to comment fully. You must also see it from the other side. Non-Christians will see nothing wrong with this comment, however if a professor was to say all atheists are anarchists, or all those who have abortions are sluts, or all Muslims are child molesters, you can see how people might be offended by such an ignorant generalization. Worse than that is the prospect of someone so ignorant as to make such a generalization actually teaching others

DizzyME said:
It may sound familiar, only because I found an article about this while looking for info about the other one. I don't care if it is a generalization. He has a right to his opinion, and it isn't as if he is teaching his students to go out and hate Christians. It was in a paper he wrote. All people should have a right to opinion no matter who they are. If he said he hated devil worshipers I doubt there would be a big deal made over it.

Do you think Ward Churchill had a "right to his opinion" when he called the workers in the WTO "little Eichman's"?

Have I a right to my opinion if, say, I work as an instructor at a University and in my blog, I say that Jews are vermin and that Hitler was misunderstood?

I'd like to hear what you think.

Elmoish said:
Do you think Ward Churchill had a "right to his opinion" when he called the workers in the WTO "little Eichman's"?

Have I a right to my opinion if, say, I work as an instructor at a University and in my blog, I say that Jews are vermin and that Hitler was misunderstood?

I'd like to hear what you think.

It's on a blog, not in the class notes. As long as you aren't saying that opinion is the only valid opinion out there, sure, why not.

DizzyME said:
It's on a blog, not in the class notes. As long as you aren't saying that opinion is the only valid opinion out there, sure, why not.

Who gives a ****!?, you Mongoloid Genetic Nightmare!
Go climb back up the ass that gave birth to you ,if not a test tube.
You don't know what you're talking about. No one cares! :D

sixes said:
Who gives a ****!?, you Mongoloid Genetic Nightmare!
Go climb back up the ass that gave birth to you ,if not a test tube.
You don't know what you're talking about. No one cares! :D

Gee, that sure was a valid comment. So worth the time.

as a Christian, I really don't have a problem with the professor being anti-Christian, as long as he doesn't let it affect his teaching or grading practices, because, like you said DizzyMe, he is entitled to his opinion.

In college, I had a Western Civ professor who was clearly Muslim, and very much anti-Christian. But while that came across in his teaching style, he didn't let it affect his grading. There were a couple times where it appeared that the one openly Muslim student got preferential treatment, but I got my A, so I didn't care.

The same educated idiots that feel his hatred of Christian is OK would scream bloody murder if his hatred were directed at Muslims, Blacks or any other "protected" group... What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

DizzyME said:
It may sound familiar, only because I found an article about this while looking for info about the other one. I don't care if it is a generalization. He has a right to his opinion, and it isn't as if he is teaching his students to go out and hate Christians. It was in a paper he wrote. All people should have a right to opinion no matter who they are. If he said he hated devil worshipers I doubt there would be a big deal made over it.
Oh, I must have misunderstood something. I thought the complaint was about the fact that he made a comment to the effect of Christians being fundamentalist morons. Now just not liking a particular group of people is not a problem, but when you assume to group them into a stereotype and share this stereotype with others, it becomes a problem. I am curious as to what the subject of a scholarly paper could possibly be to allow for the inclusion of such a personal opinion in the first place. I thought professional papers were supposed to be somewhat objective. Does this again call into question the fitness of this man to teach?
DizzyME said:
I thought it was understood that if you have an opinion it is because you think it is the correct one.
Mohammed_Rots_In_Hell said:
The same educated idiots that feel his hatred of Christian is OK would scream bloody murder if his hatred were directed at Muslims, Blacks or any other "protected" group... What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
Agreed. If a professor wrote a paper stating that blacks were inferior and evolved from apes a few thousand years later than whites people would be up in arms.
Christians are fair game.

Mohammed_Rots_In_Hell said:

Now THAT actually is a good point. You're right. Although I still think a person should have a right to their opinion as long as they are not acting out on it in violence against that group.

DizzyME said:
Now THAT actually is a good point. You're right. Although I still think a person should have a right to their opinion as long as they are not acting out on it in violence against that group.
Actually we see eye to eye on this issue Dizzy, because I absolutely agree that he/she is entitled to his/her oppinion even if the oppinion is or is not popular, however I am sick and tired of the ****ing hypocrisy of it all!

He is definately entitled to his opinion, and hell, I agree with him.

And since it's in his blog, where it's not said in the open where it can cause problems, he should have the right to say what he wants.

But when he's doing his duties as a professor, or in public, he should maybe try to keep it to himself since it's blatently discriminatory and will cause unnesscary problems.

Komrade Vostok Hazard said:
And since it's in his blog, where it's not said in the open where it can cause problems, he should have the right to say what he wants.

But when he's doing his duties as a professor, or in public, he should maybe try to keep it to himself since it's blatently discriminatory and will cause unnesscary problems.
It is in his blog? I thought Diz said it was in a paper he wrote? Generally if professors write papers it is for professional purposes. Now I am really confused...

DizzyME said:
While I was looking for something else, I ran into a news article from June about a Sociology professor whose comment in a paper he wrote got him into a bit of trouble. The New York teacher stated something to the effect of Christians being fundamentalist morons.
DizzyME said:
It was in a paper he wrote.
This is why it is important to know the details. It is difficult to judge a situation from secondhand knowledge. Maybe he said all Christians should die. I don

Why the hell don't you people post the links to this **** when you read it instead of just mumbling and confusing the hell outta people? Would make life much easier.

Back