Social Expectations

I find myself in the bizarre place of agreeing with Manic...people who don't like it should not look, if they are in a position to not be able to look away, grow up and deal with it...its life.

Given the benefits to the child, society should be falling over themselves to accomadate a nursing Mother...its not an issue in other countries...just here in the country where people are to wrought up to have a clue.

It makes me feel bad for the baby. Yes, the mom is feeding her child, but she isn't willing(apparently) to take the time to sit down somewhere, and allow the child to eat in peace. Multitasking is great, but there is an appropriate time and place for it.
If your child is hungry, and it is time to feed the baby, take that as a sign that you need to stop what you are doing and feed the kid. I know that I wouldn't want to eat while bouncing up and down on mommys arm, struggling to keep a hold of the boob while mommy is busy shopping.
Sit down and take care of your kid. Then feel free to go take care of your errands. If the child truly comes first, that shouldn't be a problem.

Cassiopeia said:
It makes me feel bad for the baby. Yes, the mom is feeding her child, but she isn't willing(apparently) to take the time to sit down somewhere, and allow the child to eat in peace. Multitasking is great, but there is an appropriate time and place for it.
If your child is hungry, and it is time to feed the baby, take that as a sign that you need to stop what you are doing and feed the kid. I know that I wouldn't want to eat while bouncing up and down on mommys arm, struggling to keep a hold of the boob while mommy is busy shopping.
Sit down and take care of your kid. Then feel free to go take care of your errands. If the child truly comes first, that shouldn't be a problem.

Have you ever breastfeed? If you know what you are doing, there is no distruption. The kid isn't bopping up and down. The kid is latched on and eating and doing his thing. Sure, in a perfect world, sitting down for twenty minutes every two hours when the kid wants to eat would be ideal, but realistically, that isn't going to happen. Life has to move on. If that offends you, too bad. You started this because it offended you, now it's because you feel bad for the baby. If the baby is content and not crying, why feel bad for him? So what you really are saying, you don't want to see it. Too bad for you. Get over yourself.

Actually, no...it doesn't offend me. I feel it is inappropriate, but not offensive.
Yes, I breastfed my son, and I had the sense to do it in privacy. I didn't consider feeding my child an interruption of my life. I considered it a necessary part of my day, and I worked my schedule around it...the same way I currently work meals around my day.
Do I grab a burger and eat it while shopping? No, I sit down and eat, then get up and go about my day. I felt that I owed my child the same courtesy. Mealtimes are mealtimes. They should be treated as such...

eisanbt said:
There are taboos which make since in our society; covering your nose when you sneeze for example helps prevent the spread of germs. I makes since than to say something when a colleague fails to do so. Though it seems Nazz fails to see the difference between say not wearing slippers to the office and forcing a 14 year old school girl to do his will. It may be a lot of conditioning nonsense, I know, I

Cassiopeia said:
Actually, no...it doesn't offend me. I feel it is inappropriate, but not offensive.
Yes, I breastfed my son, and I had the sense to do it in privacy. I didn't consider feeding my child an interruption of my life. I considered it a necessary part of my day, and I worked my schedule around it...the same way I currently work meals around my day.
Do I grab a burger and eat it while shopping? No, I sit down and eat, then get up and go about my day. I felt that I owed my child the same courtesy. Mealtimes are mealtimes. They should be treated as such...

Well, since you had the "sense" to do in privacy, every one else should too?

Nope, that doesn't wash. Neither does putting a blanket over the baby's head while he's eating. When you put a blanket over your head to eat, then I'll consider it. Till then, nope.

People really should get over themselves. If this is what it takes to offend people, we really have gone down as a "senseless society". I managed to feed mine where ever I went, no disruption to him, or to me and if anyone else was, I didn't notice because I just don't care.

Cassiopeia said:

Well sure you don't want to be walking around with the grocery cart while breast feeding. But don't have you have to like feed the kid every two hours? Sometimes you can't find an appropriate place. What about on a plane. You gotta take your kid to the tiny little shitter to feed him?

snafu said:
Well sure you don't want to be walking around with the grocery cart while breast feeding. But don't have you have to like feed the kid every two hours? Sometimes you can't find an appropriate place. What about on a plane. You gotta take your kid to the tiny little shitter to feed him?

Thats true. LIfe isn't always ideal...but I was personally never in a situation that made it impossible for me to step away and feed my child, or simply cover my shoulder(and breast)with the blanket to afford both of us a little privacy. Covering the baby's head with a blanket also stopped my easily distractible child from trying to look every which way while nursing..(which is REALLY unpleasant feeling, by the way, when they are latched on)

I don't know about anyone else but when I was in public and Diane started to cry, whatever I was doing, my full attention was on my child and what I could do to make her feel better, whether that be changing her diaper or feeding her.

If that made other people feel uncomfortable then thats on them, children should come first and I don't believe a Mother should hide from societies view when seeing to her childs needs.

At the risk of repeating myself...If men had to breast feed their own children, it would be accepted that it be done anywhere the need arised...

Lethalfind said:
I don't know about anyone else but when I was in public and Diane started to cry, whatever I was doing, my full attention was on my child and what I could do to make her feel better, whether that be changing her diaper or feeding her.

If that made other people feel uncomfortable then thats on them, children should come first and I don't believe a Mother should hide from societies view when seeing to her childs needs.

At the risk of repeating myself...If men had to breast feed their own children, it would be accepted that it be done anywhere the need arised...

I agree with you...but like you said, your FULL attention was on your daughter. The woman who was nursing her child at my work was not focusing on her daughter. She was shopping. Meaning taking clothes off the racks, carrying them around(we do not have shopping carts, so this had to have been awkward for her, physically)...trying on shoes, getting shoeboxes off the shelves...all the while with her child nursing at her breast.These are not things that tell me the focus was on meeting her childs needs.

Cassiopeia said:
I agree with you...but like you said, your FULL attention was on your daughter. The woman who was nursing her child at my work was not focusing on her daughter. She was shopping. Meaning taking clothes off the racks, carrying them around(we do not have shopping carts, so this had to have been awkward for her, physically)...trying on shoes, getting shoeboxes off the shelves...all the while with her child nursing at her breast.These are not things that tell me the focus was on meeting her childs needs.

Well, next time I hope she asks you if what she is doing is ok and socially acceptable and meeting her kids needs. I mean, you seem to have it all figured out. I hope she gets your permission to move around and live while she is doing something necessary.

I only hope to live up to your high level of perfections.

I have to say she sounds rather talented...I don't think I would have been able to accomplish that but I would have liked to.

Maybe if I had more then one child I would have developed her skills.

hugo said:
Since when did it make sense to use since in place of sense?

Surly the wild and untamed hugo has not degraded to the level of grammatical insults... For shame.

eisanbt said:
Surly the wild and untamed hugo has not degraded to the level of grammatical insults... For shame.

Just couldn't resist the opportunity to use since and sense a total of four times in one sentence. I know, my life is kinda boring.

Back