Teachers and Students. Battle it out here.

builder

Tizz and myself are teachers in different areas. She is early childhood, and I'm in adult ed.

My beef is that education is supposedly advancing with time.

I beg to differ. I do not believe that our current 'soft-glove' education curriculum is preparing students for the rough-and-tumble real world.

I say that teaching a student respect will not happen when we pander to the politically correct isms floating around today. I'm not talking corporal punishment, I'm saying that kids should get roared at, if and when they deserve it.

What say you?

I think there was a time when too many teachers used fear to replace respect and that is no good for the real world or for getting a kid interested in knowledge. Discipline yes, corporal punishment no. Makes teh teachers lazy.

from a first hand perspective (on the student side) the teachers wont (and cant) do jack **** to discipline us, they suspend me for skipping school (what the hell kind of logic is that) and they have absolutely no control over the class, our substitute in welding was like that, i (and every other senior welder in the class) had to bust down hard on the freshman to keep them from setting off an acetylene tank or two (big problem) and we have had other classes leak acetylene and ignite it :eek: WE NEED TOUGHER TEACHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my old band teacher was a Nam vet, real hard ass, but he was the best and most loved teacher in any school down here, he knew when to get mad and how, and damn could he argue

In school suspension and revoking privelages works. It would help if parents would get off their asses and re enforce punishments at home. If a teacher can grab the imagination of a kid there is a LOT less need for discipline

tizz said:
In school suspension and revoking privelages works.

THE **** IT DOES

you just don't get it, a suspension is just a school ordered vacation, the 'punishment' given is totally useless, you get detention, its just a place to catch up on work you missed during your suspension

tizz said:
I think there was a time when too many teachers used fear to replace respect and that is no good for the real world or for getting a kid interested in knowledge. Discipline yes, corporal punishment no. Makes teh teachers lazy.

Agreed on your first point. Respect does not come from victimising anyone. Hatred and despite follow closely behind that kind of "teacher", and I've know my fair share of them.

Discipline, even in the kids' home lives, is often a thing of ancient history. Parents use electronic baby-sitting devices more and more these days. Many parent consider school to be an extension of day care, and don't give a flying **** if their kids are failing or not. Often, the parents are strapped for time and energy, due to the weighty task of paying off an exhorbitant mortgage, and providing the kids with the expensive chattels of modern life.

My son will sit on his arse playing PC games all day, if I let him. Get him down to the beach, and he'll work his arse off digging the biggest holes and creating the best sculptures.

I recall one Christmas early in my son's life. I spent hundreds on electronic gizmos and whizz-bang games. Do you know what we played with all day? A $2 beach ball from a discount store.

Then your school is doing it wrong. It would also hewlp if parents would take ten seconds to tech their kids a little respect for their elders. I am sorry but when I was a kid all teh adults I knew were Mr. or Mrs, I wouldn't dream of challenging a person of authority until I was in HS (and thanks to my family) would not consider doing it unless I was sure I had something to back it up. Teachers are only responsible for so much (hell we don't get paid enough for that) and yet it has been heaped upon the shoulders of educators to now be responsible for the instilling of morals ethics respect and responsibility. What do the parents do anymore anyway?

tizz said:
Then your school is doing it wrong. It would also hewlp if parents would take ten seconds to tech their kids a little respect for their elders. I am sorry but when I was a kid all teh adults I knew were Mr. or Mrs, I wouldn't dream of challenging a person of authority until I was in HS (and thanks to my family) would not consider doing it unless I was sure I had something to back it up. Teachers are only responsible for so much (hell we don't get paid enough for that) and yet it has been heaped upon the shoulders of educators to now be responsible for the instilling of morals ethics respect and responsibility. What do the parents do anymore anyway?

parents do jack **** as well, i have a running feud with my mom because I'm in affect, superior to her (in my own mind, shes probably mentally superior, i dunno) but she wont punish me for ****, and when she does its always destroying everything i own, so i don't respect her.

my Russian step-dad on the other hand is one hard ass ****, but i respect him and look up to him because he disciplines me and does it fairly, and when hes not being a dad hes like a sibling to me (i have some crazy ass story's this guy has told me)

Well you are what 16? Of course you thinkyou are superior to your mother but YOU ARE NOT! She MADE you and regardless of what you think she has sacrificed to make your life and good and she can. I hate to say this again, but when you are older and more removed from the situation and perhaps a parent or teacher yourself your perspective WILL change. The fact that she carried you for nine months, spit you from her loins and kept you alive this long should be enough for you to respect her. Think of what you would NOT have without her. When you are 18 you can go do your thing but until then she is the master of her domain and you should respect that. It is not the parent's place to respect a kid, that is only in teh mind of a kid. Their job is to make sure you don't die or that no one else dies because of you. It is the childs job to earn teh respect, when you are an adult and on your own then you can worry about them earning your respect as a peer until then it;s just a requirement.

tizz said:
Well you are what 16? Of course you thinkyou are superior to your mother but YOU ARE NOT! She MADE you and regardless of what you think she has sacrificed to make your life and good and she can. I hate to say this again, but when you are older and more removed from the situation and perhaps a parent or teacher yourself your perspective WILL change. The fact that she carried you for nine months, spit you from her loins and kept you alive this long should be enough for you to respect her. Think of what you would NOT have without her. When you are 18 you can go do your thing but until then she is the master of her domain and you should respect that. It is not the parent's place to respect a kid, that is only in teh mind of a kid. Their job is to make sure you don't die or that no one else dies because of you. It is the childs job to earn teh respect, when you are an adult and on your own then you can worry about them earning your respect as a peer until then it;s just a requirement.

ill admit she probably deserves my respect, but she wont get it, i cant respect even my own mother if she cant keep my ass in line

tizz said:
Ya you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 16 LOL ;)

yes, i am, and it will surly **** me over BIG TIME down the road, but I'm volunteering for the AMYA (Alaska military youth academy) next year anyway, so ill hopefully get put straight, for everyones sake lol

Msixty said:
yes, i am, and it will surly **** me over BIG TIME down the road, but I'm volunteering for the AMYA (Alaska military youth academy) next year anyway, so ill hopefully get put straight, for everyones sake lol

Ha ha...I was going to rip you a new you know what for being a silly, spoiled kid, then you go and say the above. You are going to be quite an adult!

OK 60 I was too tired last night to go here but...

ARE YOU CRACKED???? You are 16... at what age do you think accountability comes into play. Why should it be anyone else's job to keep you in line? Are you still in diapers? Take some responisibility for yourself and quit depending on others to tell you what's what. This is a big problem today with kids, they are too willing to pass the buck and blame their behaviour on others. By 16 you should have mastered the art of bodily control. You only have 2 years left to get it figured out kid. (yes KID at least until you are willing to keep your OWN ass in line) My goodness. Go hug your mother right now and apologize for being a BRAT!!!!!!! It's up to you to behave on your own, not the school and not mommy and daddy!!!!!!!!!!! Boy are you gonna get your ass KICKED if you ever do join the marines YIKES you'll be wetting your pants and crying for mommy five seconds after meeting your instructors!

tizz said:
OK 60 I was too tired last night to go here but...

ARE YOU CRACKED???? You are 16... at what age do you think accountability comes into play. Why should it be anyone else's job to keep you in line? Are you still in diapers? Take some responisibility for yourself and quit depending on others to tell you what's what. This is a big problem today with kids, they are too willing to pass the buck and blame their behaviour on others. By 16 you should have mastered the art of bodily control. You only have 2 years left to get it figured out kid. (yes KID at least until you are willing to keep your OWN ass in line) My goodness. Go hug your mother right now and apologize for being a BRAT!!!!!!! It's up to you to behave on your own, not the school and not mommy and daddy!!!!!!!!!!! Boy are you gonna get your ass KICKED if you ever do join the marines YIKES you'll be wetting your pants and crying for mommy five seconds after meeting your instructors!

****in A. Why didn't I say that first. Tizzy (note the capital T) respect now. ;)

Hey I am a parent (and I actually grew up with a GREAT amount of respect for my mother so my perspective on the wholle thing is a bit different. I NEVER disrespected my mother, she gave up everything to be the fantastic mom that she is)

tizz said:
Hey I am a parent (and I actually grew up with a GREAT amount of respect for my mother so my perspective on the wholle thing is a bit different. I NEVER disrespected my mother, she gave up everything to be the fantastic mom that she is)

Did you misconstrue my comment? I respected your prior comment immensely.

Your mum sounds like she is worth her weight in gold.

Elmoish said:
Ha ha...I was going to rip you a new you know what for being a silly, spoiled kid, then you go and say the above. You are going to be quite an adult!

You couldn't punch your way out of a paper bag.

Get rid of that immensely stupid avatar.

Na I got it, I just had to give my mom a shout there for raisin me right ;) I THINK i WILL GO GET HER A NICE SOMETHIN TODAY JUST CAUSE SHE DESERVES IT AND IS HAVING A REALLY ROUGH TIME AT THE MOMENT) Damn sorry for the caps, I really must get my eyes off the keyboard. Hard habbit to break

Hard habbit. LOL.

Touch typing rules. It's best done with your eyes shut.

Lots of things to say, but tomorrow's another day. Must sleep now..... ;)

Back