Thom Yorke

Jeezy

All The Streetlights
Thom Yorke just did a solo record called The Eraser...someone here who likes it?...

I'm a Radiohead fan. And while "The Eraser is a good listen, it's definitely not anywhere near great. Thom's solo attempt at ambient/atmospheric/electronic music definitely exposes him as a step or two above novice level, but he definitely has a lot to hone before coming out with a great solo effort.

There are a lot better records in the ambient electronic genre out this year.

Its good, better than how Toxic1 described it. But I don't think people should compare it with Radiohead's stuff, as it obviously one man won't sound like five..

Standout tracks include: The Eraser, Black Swan and Harrowdown Hill

burning monk said:
Its good, better than how Toxic1 described it.

I know the typical excuse is "it's just a matter of opinion", but it sounds like you think you're opinion is more correct than mine. So explain why.....

It is a matter of opinion. And therefore his opinion is not more correct than yours, just like yours isn't more correct than his

Friðbjörn said:
It is a matter of opinion. And therefore his opinion is not more correct than yours, just like yours isn't more correct than his

You know what? That's the problem. Because of that "safety" outlet that you and others here continue to reinforce means that honest, detailed, and passionate discussions can't be had on here. Being nice is boring. Let's get to the heart of the matter and not except "a matter of opinion" when thoughts can be backed up with some enthusiastic viewpoints. That's a lot of what's wrong with mainstream music. 95% of it is crap. And people just except it because that's all they hear. Therefore they believe it's all that is good and it's what they SHOULD listen to. If somebody's music sucks, express it and say why without worrying if it offends somebody. And if it's great do the same. Get real. It's like a country suffering from a ruthless government and just letting it happen without doing something about it. That's why MTV and radio continue to transmit the same low quality pollution on the airwaves.

Toxic1 said:
I know the typical excuse is "it's just a matter of opinion", but it sounds like you think you're opinion is more correct than mine. So explain why.....
actually it sounds like he disagrees with you, and it seems like you love starting fights over nothing

Hybrid Soldier said:
actually it sounds like he disagrees with you, and it seems like you love starting fights over nothing

Weak dude. How am I starting a fight on the internet? :rolleyes:

I'm trying get some really answers and thoughts from Burning Monk or whoever else. Something that you don't have obviously with your initial input being a quick jab at me.

Jeezy said:
Can you concentrate on that CD again...

I dunno.......I got a whole bunch of other new records to think about and listen to plus my own that I'm working on. But I suppose I could with a little bit of concentration........

:D

Toxic1 said:

Jeezy started a thread asking about Thom's album and asked if anyone liked it. You replied by saying it was a good listen, but not great (example of opinion #1). I thought (example of opinion #2) that it was a much better album than how you described.

Music is all about opinion in the end.

Toxic1 said:
You know what? That's the problem. Because of that "safety" outlet that you and others here continue to reinforce means that honest, detailed, and passionate discussions can't be had on here. Being nice is boring. Let's get to the heart of the matter and not except "a matter of opinion" when thoughts can be backed up with some enthusiastic viewpoints. That's a lot of what's wrong with mainstream music. 95% of it is crap. And people just except it because that's all they hear. Therefore they believe it's all that is good and it's what they SHOULD listen to. If somebody's music sucks, express it and say why without worrying if it offends somebody. And if it's great do the same. Get real. It's like a country suffering from a ruthless government and just letting it happen without doing something about it. That's why MTV and radio continue to transmit the same low quality pollution on the airwaves.
How are you going to discuss stuff that isn't based on facts? Whether a certain tune is good, or bad, boring or entertaining can't be discussed. You can simply say your opinion. Another person can't come in and say, "no, you're wrong, that's a great song!". It's like argueing whether Coca cola tastes good or not. It's stupid.
It's up to each and every person and their opinion, that's all there is to it.
However, you can discuss some aspects of music, like whether the music is of this genre or another, as you know well.

But I mean if you want to tear someone's head off over whether Thom's new album sounds good or not, go ahead.

I was just trying to keep this from turning into a stupid mud-fight, for nothing

burning monk said:
Jeezy started a thread asking about Thom's album and asked if anyone liked it. You replied by saying it was a good listen, but not great (example of opinion #1). I thought (example of opinion #2) that it was a much better album than how you described.

Music is all about opinion in the end.

Basically your next post summarized everything that I wasn't interested in seeing as far as your extended feedback on the album.

Friðbjörn said:
How are you going to discuss stuff that isn't based on facts? Whether a certain tune is good, or bad, boring or entertaining can't be discussed. You can simply say your opinion. Another person can't come in and say, "no, you're wrong, that's a great song!". It's like argueing whether Coca cola tastes good or not. It's stupid.
It's up to each and every person and their opinion, that's all there is to it.
However, you can discuss some aspects of music, like whether the music is of this genre or another, as you know well.

But I mean if you want to tear someone's head off over whether Thom's new album sounds good or not, go ahead.

I was just trying to keep this from turning into a stupid mud-fight, for nothing

1) Yes you can discuss whether they are based on facts or not. With facts you can't get passionate about because.......well......they're facts. Opinions..........well that's where things can get interesting. But it's you and others that want to keep it to a "matter of opinion" instead of really discussing beyond those kind words.

2)If you go back and look, I was simply asking for more explanation on why he believes it's better than how I described it. It may have enlightened me and make me perhaps look at the album a little differently. I know it's the internet, but you and some others are being a little oversensitive and misconstrued my attitude. I was nowhere near angry. NO TEARING OFF HEADS HERE!!

3)The mud fight shouldn't have been.........

Toxic1 said:
1) Yes you can discuss whether they are based on facts or not. With facts you can't get passionate about because.......well......they're facts. Opinions..........well that's where things can get interesting. But it's you and others that want to keep it to a "matter of opinion" instead of really discussing beyond those kind words.

2)If you go back and look, I was simply asking for more explanation on why he believes it's better than how I described it. It may have enlightened me and make me perhaps look at the album a little differently. I know it's the internet, but you and some others are being a little oversensitive and misconstrued my attitude. I was nowhere near angry. NO TEARING OFF HEADS HERE!!

3)The mud fight shouldn't have been.........
It's not an opinion of mine to keep everything a "matter of opinion". You can't argue unless it's about facts, not opinions, that's all I was trying to say
You just to me came off like you were saying that it were actually possible to argue whether an album is "good" or not.
You can call it oversensitive if you want, I was just trying to get a point across.

But okay yeah, over the net it's kinda hard to read whether you or anyone else is being angry or passionate or whatever...
so discuss on...

This arguement imho was pointless and wasnt started from a single person everyone threw fuel to the fire for no good reasson, music is opinion at the end of the day....... end of.

Friðbjörn said:
It's not an opinion of mine to keep everything a "matter of opinion". You can't argue unless it's about facts, not opinions, that's all I was trying to say
You just to me came off like you were saying that it were actually possible to argue whether an album is "good" or not.
You can call it oversensitive if you want, I was just trying to get a point across.

But okay yeah, over the net it's kinda hard to read whether you or anyone else is being angry or passionate or whatever...
so discuss on...

I think the opposite. You can't argue with facts. But you definitely have room for discussion with opinions. Eh.....

Back