Tipping Jars Piss Me Off!

Cogito Ergo Sum

Tipping Jars... :mad:

What the hell is happening these days and just who came up with this piece of **** concept?

Somehow, tipping has radically changed from its original intent of reward for excellent service (in a fine sit down restaurant), to "You owe me because I exist and I handed you something". WTF?

I am so sick of everywhere I go, that there is a tip jar on the counter and the service people look at you like you are expected to contribute to them. They are everywhere; coffeehouses, donut shops, bagel shops, bakeries, dry cleaners, car washes...WTF!!!

I'll just pick on the coffeehouses for now...

I say **** you! Starbucks and all other coffee shops with your annoying tip jars, you can kiss my ass! Take that tip jar and shove it!

Let's be realistic here for a moment...

One would think that this tipping madness just for having the pleasure of somebody handing you a $3 cup of coffee across the counter (because it's a Venti, whoopee!), was somehow deserved. Why? That's the biggest crock of ****!

As a child, I have no memory of ever seeing a tip jar at a coffee shop. I also don't ever remember my parents having to go back behind the counter to drink the coffee directly from the machine spigot. :rolleyes:

So, am I to infer that because you put the coffee in a "to go" cup and hand it to me (a time honored tradition since the invention of the "to go" cup), that you have somehow earned a tip? Are you out of your mind?!? :eek:

**** off! :mad:

Personally, I ignore all tip jars when I see them, and lately, I've even become quite vocal about how rude and contemptible they are to be sitting on the counter in the first place.

I for one, will not be "guilt tripped" into tipping for a product which must be handed to me across a counter.

If more people spoke out, this **** would eventually stop! Be honest

Sounds like we should get you emigration papers happening CES.

Australians, as a rough and ready rule, tip nobody. Par for the course.

Tip jars are in most bars here, but only barmaids who flirt with you deserve a tip.

Personally, I only tip the following service providers.

Taxi drivers who are working the graveyard shift.

Pizza deliverers who are clearly happy to be of service. The others can root their own boots.

Restaurant staff who are personable. The others can go **** themselves.

Thin-hipped lap-dancers, who clearly love their jobs.

Tipping is not a given. When it becomes a given, the workers get slack.

Earn your tips. Or **** right orff. :D

I used to work in a coffee shop, and I loved that tip jar.
But in all fairness, I did a bit more than they do at Starschmucks.
If a customer ordered an espresso drink 'for here', it got extra special treatment. I took pride in the fact that I could put more layers in a drink than anyone else (I think my record was eight). It was especially cool when they would order a drink with a fruit flavor, because those syrups were colored brightly. So they would have a pink/purple/red layer at the bottom, and then six or seven different shades of brown, and white.
The tip jar was nice, especially considering I worked for the cheapest hippy bitch on the planet.
So, maybe we didn't necessarily deserve that tip jar, but we put a hell of an effort into the presentation of the drink. We were very customer friendly, and would even 'bend the rules' and change/create new drinks for customers. And our coffee tasted WAY better than Starbucks EVER will. I still go to this coffee shop on occasion, and it still has the best coffees, tea, espresso drinks I have found.

On a trip to Panama City Beach, Fla., you know the Redneck Riviera, many moons ago, a group of friends and myself recieved some horrible service at a Hooters. I know, I know... its par for the course with this chain of restaurants, but this waitress was particularly awful.

She was worthy of working there, because her cleavage was pushing the strands of her cotton top to the limit. That was her only redeeming quality, my friend actually tried to pick her up. Which may have led to our sorry-ass service.

So when I, I've always picked up the tab, settled up I left her a penny tip. The bitch actually followed us outside and threw her order pad and the penny at me. She called me an "asshole", which didn't phase me. Then she took her pen and scratched my buddy's Expedition.

Of course, the waitress ended up without a job. And my friend sued her for damages to the vehicle and won because he had five witnesses. She pleaded guilty, so we didn't have to travel down to PCB to go to court and has since paid restitution in full. I'm sure she's back at the Hooter's.

This is a lesson for all you kiddies out there, "Leave at least a nickel tip.".

RoyalOrleans said:
On a trip to Panama City Beach, Fla., you know the Redneck Riviera, many moons ago, a group of friends and myself recieved some horrible service at a Hooters. I know, I know... its par for the course with this chain of restaurants, but this waitress was particularly awful.

She was worthy of working there, because her cleavage was pushing the strands of her cotton top to the limit. That was her only redeeming quality, my friend actually tried to pick her up. Which may have led to our sorry-ass service.

So when I, I've always picked up the tab, settled up I left her a penny tip. The bitch actually followed us outside and threw her order pad and the penny at me. She called me an "asshole", which didn't phase me. Then she took her pen and scratched my buddy's Expedition.

Of course, the waitress ended up without a job. And my friend sued her for damages to the vehicle and won because he had five witnesses. She pleaded guilty, so we didn't have to travel down to PCB to go to court and has since paid restitution in full. I'm sure she's back at the Hooter's.

This is a lesson for all you kiddies out there, "Leave at least a nickel tip.".

Great Story!
Don't you just love the Happily Ever After endings! :)

I think I may have hucked some change in a tip jar once. I too ignore them.

The other night I picked up a take-out order for my Take-Out Starved Alaskan Refugee Daughter.... there was a large TIP BUCKET right there on the take out counter, and a very Large sign "TAKE OUT TIPS APPRECIATED".

Yawwwwwwwwwn. Besides the fact that I hate any kind of begging, period, the order was 15 minutes later than stated on the phone. Hell, I didn't even sprinkle Good Wishes in the bucket, let alone alms.

skategreen said:
Great Story!
Don't you just love the Happily Ever After endings! :)

I think I may have hucked some change in a tip jar once. I too ignore them.

The other night I picked up a take-out order for my Take-Out Starved Alaskan Refugee Daughter.... there was a large TIP BUCKET right there on the take out counter, and a very Large sign "TAKE OUT TIPS APPRECIATED".

Yawwwwwwwwwn. Besides the fact that I hate any kind of begging, period, the order was 15 minutes later than stated on the phone. Hell, I didn't even sprinkle Good Wishes in the bucket, let alone alms.

Most of my stories start out with a busty chick and end with property damage.

i work food service, i'm a subway guy, and we have a tip jar. It is super appriciated. Now you seem to mix up the presence of a tip jar with us demanding a tip. I sure as hell don't ask for tips and accually funny thing, last night i had to break up a fight and got a $20 tip that i tried to refuse. Remember that alot of these people are only making minimum wage, which here atleast is very little ($6.50 an hour). I lived though the entire summer using my pay check for rent and living off my tips. But poverty aside, there is more to these people's jobs then JUST handing you a coffe over the counter. Now i certainlky agree that if the server is an incompetitent moron then they don't deserve a tip, but people in the service industry can have it pretty rough.

Example: (Since you mentioned super markets): I was at the Sobeys down the road buying some vegi-burgers and cola. The young lady working the ounter seemed pretty frazzled I asked her wht was up and she gave me a quck run down of her day at work , appearently she'd been working 20hours on 5 hours sleep and was having a particulary hard day. (This is not uncommon, I've sure as hell done it...) Now that i've worked with the public I have much more respect for my peers and so, even though Sobey's dosn't have tip jars, I gave her a $5 tip just because she was still going, and not being unpleasent or incompetient.

There are ALOT of idiots out there and when you have to deal with them 8hours a day for very little money, some compassion here in there (in the form of tips) or even a kind word can really help someone out.

builder said:
Sounds like we should get you emigration papers happening CES.

Australians, as a rough and ready rule, tip nobody. Par for the course.
which is why i internally groan when i hear an aussie accent at one of my tables......

builder said:
Tipping is not a given. When it becomes a given, the workers get slack.

Not always.....Seeing as im a restaurant server i expect a tip because i know what im doing and do my job well and an american custom. if it wasnt i would hate to see how expensive everything on a menu would cost!

The hopes in getting a good tip is the only thing that doesnt make me give give bad service on purpose to those i know dont tip or tip well (old people, soccer moms, rich white women, black people, teenagers, foreigners, football players......etc)

if that was the case most of these people would be getting poor service because i know 80% of the time i would get a lousy tip! Since there is approx a 20% window of i might get a good tip....i dont slack and keep up my job the way im supposed to...

however, if i have waited on you and did everything properly and you tipped me poorly....and then get seated in my section again.....you as the individual will not have the best dining experience

You said no onions??!?! not EXTRA onions?

Vortex said:
which is why i internally groan when i hear an aussie accent at one of my tables......

Preconceptions will blow you out of the water every time.

Now I never said that Aussies never tip. In fact, if you provide the service that you claim you deliver, I would surely be tipping you. The real payoff in our culture is word=of=mouth advertising. The value of which is widespread gratis press.

I do appreciate good service. The trouble is, we remember crap service more than good service. Human nature, and all that.

Vortex said:
Not always.....Seeing as im a restaurant server i expect a tip
Wait, what. You EXPECT a tip? Alright, well, hike your ass over to China and start handing out $5 bills to the people who are making the freakin shoes you're wearing. That's utter bullshit. You're already getting paid for your JOB. EMPLOYERS do that, NOT your customers. You should thank them on bended knee that they're kind enough to give you money from their job, at which they probably DON'T get tipped.

Vortex said:
The hopes in getting a good tip is the only thing that doesnt make me give give bad service on purpose
You are a pretty pathetic employee if that's your frame of mind. As said before, it's a COURTESY of people to pay you extra. You chose to work your job at the rate you get paid at. Customers don't choose that for you. They should expect tip top service from you without having to give you so much a dime other than what the menu tells them. It's your JOB, you CHOSE it.

Vortex said:
Since there is approx a 20% window of i might get a good tip....i dont slack and keep up my job the way im supposed to...

Oh, I'm so glad you keep yourself on your toes, for the extra few dollars you might get. Petty worker.

Vortex said:
however, if i have waited on you and did everything properly and you tipped me poorly....and then get seated in my section again.....you as the individual will not have the best dining experience
Again I'm saddened by the fact that you don't strive to work your best, no matter who the customer is. Sure, it's natural to want to please your better customers, but there is no need to sink below the expectation of excellence when you're serving somebody. That's disgusting and rude. They don't owe you anything. Get a better job if you want more money.

Now you're just making yourself sound like an idiot. You do understand that they get paid less because of tips, right?
http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/wgwkstnd/faqs-employers.htm#minimum wage
What is the minimum wage for waiters and waitresses?
The minimum wage for waiters and waitresses is the current minimum wage less 29.3% for tips. Therefore, effective January 1, 2004 the minimum wage for waiters and waitresses is $5.02 per hour which is calculated in the following manner:

29.3% of $7.10 is $2.08; $7.10 minus $2.08 equals $5.02 per hour.

So in CT the minimum wage for waitstaff is 29.3% LESS. So they DEPEND on those tips from you sorry assholes to live off of. Don't like it? Pay 30% more for your meal then so they can get raises, and even then they wouldn't be getting paid sufficiently to deal with society's bullshit. I waitressed for 2 months and I will NEVER do it again. The abuse you get from people (all while you are expected to smile and nod) is not worth it for me. Your servers more than deserve an extra couple bucks from you.

See thats the thing, nobody can accually speak intelligently on the matter unless they've accually worked with the public as a server. You just don't get even 30% of the story. (Let alone the empathy that comes with 'knowing' what they go through)

angie said:
Now you're just making yourself sound like an idiot. You do understand that they get paid less because of tips, right?
http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/wgwkstnd/faqs-employers.htm#minimum wage

So in CT the minimum wage for waitstaff is 29.3% LESS. So they DEPEND on those tips from you sorry assholes to live off of. Don't like it? Pay 30% more for your meal then so they can get raises, and even then they wouldn't be getting paid sufficiently to deal with society's bullshit. I waitressed for 2 months and I will NEVER do it again. The abuse you get from people (all while you are expected to smile and nod) is not worth it for me. Your servers more than deserve an extra couple bucks from you.

Yeah, I know it is legal that they get paid less.

I guess it makes me an idiot to not buy that as a sorry excuse, then? I don't care if you make $1.00/hour and rely on $10 of tips/hour to get by.

I mean, I am sorry that people have to struggle to make ends meet, but I don't feel sorry for people who think they can't do any better. Anyone can do better, so anyone and everyone should try.

He chose his job, suffer the consequences, enjoy them, or make amazing service to get what he expects.

eisanbt said:
See thats the thing, nobody can accually speak intelligently on the matter unless they've accually worked with the public as a server. You just don't get even 30% of the story. (Let alone the empathy that comes with 'knowing' what they go through)
Dear, I work as a public server making minimum wage, no tips.
I've never had any other sort of job.

Why should they have to get a career change just because you're too goddamn cheap to tip?
I know someone who is a professional waiter (like Vortex). He is good at what he does, and makes damn good money. Drives a BMW. There's no reason they shouldn't be able to make a living off of it.

TheJenn88 said:
Dear, I work as a public server making minimum wage, no tips.
I've never had any other sort of job.
You're also 17. That's all kids in high school are SUPPOSED to be making.

angie said:
You're also 17. That's all kids in high school are SUPPOSED to be making.

I fail to see the relevance. If you're still making minimum wage at 40, then you clearly went wrong somewhere.

My being young doesn't make it an excuse or a reason for people to get tips.

I really do see what you're saying, and I do somewhat agree. but I'm not going to tip just because someone thinks they deserve it.

angie said:
Why should they have to get a career change just because you're too goddamn cheap to tip?
I know someone who is a professional waiter (like Vortex). He is good at what he does, and makes damn good money. Drives a BMW. There's no reason they shouldn't be able to make a living off of it.

Oh, That's BS calling someone too cheap if they don't want to tip. They are already paying an obscene amount of money for food that they could make at home, yet they are paying more money for the luxury of the experience.

And if vortex makes some pretty damn good money, excellent for him. If he enjoys it, even more power to him.
Doesn't make him worthy of a damn tip, though. especially with an attitude like his.

Back