Tipping Jars Piss Me Off!

TheJenn88 said:
Oh, That's BS calling someone too cheap if they don't want to tip. They are already paying an obscene amount of money for food that they could make at home, yet they are paying more money for the luxury of the experience.

And if vortex makes some pretty damn good money, excellent for him. If he enjoys it, even more power to him.
Doesn't make him worthy of a damn tip, though. especially with an attitude like his.
Tipping is part of that luxury and most people realize it. And if you don't like it, cook your own goddamn food. Simple as that. And I can understand his attitude, because people are so demanding yet don't want to pay for the service.

TheJenn88 said:
Dear, I work as a public server making minimum wage, no tips.
I've never had any other sort of job.

But chances are you live at home, you don't NEED the money. there is a huge difference between your high school job and trying to survive. I'm not saying i'm poor but tips certainly help me get by, i don't have to resort to dumpstering nearly as often if my tips are decent. This is ofcourse not even taking into account what next semisters tuition is going to cost, this is basic living.

As for people 'choosing' their jobs that is a load of ****. If we could choose to have a job there would be no homeless. So long as the job is there somebody is going to be doing it. If its a shitty job then its a shitty job but they stick through it because they have to, because its what allows them to live and is the best option they have for whatever lengh of time.

And even though i can seldom spare it, I tip whenever i can. An old roomate of mine used to say "If i have a roof over my head and food on my plate, not to mention good friends, then why the hell would i give a **** about money?" And he held true to that, if he could help he would and in that spirt of generiousity if i CAN tip, i will. If my coffee money can help somebody out or make their day (or job) a little better, a little more bearable, then why the hell not? $2 is certianly worth it.

eisanbt said:
But chances are you live at home, you don't NEED the money. there is a huge difference between your high school job and trying to survive. I'm not saying i'm poor but tips certainly help me get by, i don't have to resort to dumpstering nearly as often if my tips are decent. This is ofcourse not even taking into account what next semisters tuition is going to cost, this is basic living.

As for people 'choosing' their jobs that is a load of ****. If we could choose to have a job there would be no homeless. So long as the job is there somebody is going to be doing it. If its a shitty job then its a shitty job but they stick through it because they have to, because its what allows them to live and is the best option they have for whatever lengh of time.
Not like our economy is all that grand. My friend graduated from college and it took her a year to find a job. Know where she finally got a job? Working at a coffee shop for $8/hr. Pretty sad.

angie said:
Tipping is part of that luxury and most people realize it. And if you don't like it, cook your own goddamn food. Simple as that. And I can understand his attitude, because people are so demanding yet don't want to pay for the service.

That is merely a point of view - saying tipping is part of the luxury. I "realize" that it is customary to pay tips, but I don't see why I should when the server themselves aren't really anything special. I mean, I definitely would tip an excellent server. I just think it's rather low and pitiful that people expect to be paid twice over when they're the ones that chose the job that they're at.

As an aside......

I knew a guy who lived in Ft. Lauderdale FL...his dad was a pianist in some sort of high class joint - so damn funny - the guy dressed kinda like Liberace -he was a total character. (and well off) anyway, as per my friend, the wait staff got no pay whatsoever, the tips were so damn good they were just raking it in....and they had to fork over some of the tips to the management. It was supposed to be harder'n hell to get the job and when a guy got it, he kept it. It was a gold mine.

If nothing else, it made a good story.

eisanbt said:
...There are ALOT of idiots out there and when you have to deal with them 8hours a day for very little money, some compassion here in there (in the form of tips) or even a kind word can really help someone out.

I don't give a ****! Get an education. Better yourself! Don't whine to me that you should get money for doing your job.

Kind words? Hell yes, I always say "Thank You" and "You're Welcome" although I am amazed at the number of wait people who do not.

Vortex said:
which is why i internally groan when i hear an aussie accent at one of my tables......

Not always.....Seeing as im a restaurant server i expect a tip because i know what im doing and do my job well and an american custom. if it wasnt i would hate to see how expensive everything on a menu would cost!

The hopes in getting a good tip is the only thing that doesnt make me give give bad service on purpose to those i know dont tip or tip well (old people, soccer moms, rich white women, black people, teenagers, foreigners, football players......etc)

if that was the case most of these people would be getting poor service because i know 80% of the time i would get a lousy tip! Since there is approx a 20% window of i might get a good tip....i dont slack and keep up my job the way im supposed to...

however, if i have waited on you and did everything properly and you tipped me poorly....and then get seated in my section again.....you as the individual will not have the best dining experience

You said no onions??!?! not EXTRA onions?

Vorty...

Professional servers in sit down restaurants don't use "Tip Jars" with signs on them...

The topic is "Tipping Jars Piss Me Of"

You're exempt from this discussion you damn waitress, so sit down and shut up! :p Go file your nails or something... :rolleyes:

eisanbt said:
See thats the thing, nobody can accually speak intelligently on the matter unless they've accually worked with the public as a server. You just don't get even 30% of the story. (Let alone the empathy that comes with 'knowing' what they go through)

Bullshit! Get your head out of your ass please.

**** tip jars! ...they should be illegal.

Don't give me this garbage that they need it to survive. Don't work there. Somebody who is willing to work for the paid wage, will. It's called free market economy.

Next thing you know, there will be a tip jar at the Home Depot, Sears, Wal-Mart, Goodyear Tires, Sherwin Williams Paint, GFS and Smart & Final warehouse stores, Sam's Club, The Gap, and every other damn store you can think of.

What a complete crock of crap! :mad:

TheJenn88 said:
Yeah, I know it is legal that they get paid less.

I guess it makes me an idiot to not buy that as a sorry excuse, then? I don't care if you make $1.00/hour and rely on $10 of tips/hour to get by.

I mean, I am sorry that people have to struggle to make ends meet, but I don't feel sorry for people who think they can't do any better. Anyone can do better, so anyone and everyone should try.

He chose his job, suffer the consequences, enjoy them, or make amazing service to get what he expects.

My faith in youth has just been restored! Thank You God!

17 years old and already sharp as a tack! Wonderful!

skategreen said:
Great Story!
Don't you just love the Happily Ever After endings! :)

I think I may have hucked some change in a tip jar once. I too ignore them.

The other night I picked up a take-out order for my Take-Out Starved Alaskan Refugee Daughter.... there was a large TIP BUCKET right there on the take out counter, and a very Large sign "TAKE OUT TIPS APPRECIATED".

Yawwwwwwwwwn. Besides the fact that I hate any kind of begging, period, the order was 15 minutes later than stated on the phone. Hell, I didn't even sprinkle Good Wishes in the bucket, let alone alms.

Skate...what can I say other than...

I just adore you! :D

The world needs more people like you in it!

Cogito Ergo Sum said:
I don't give a ****! Get an education. Better yourself! Don't whine to me that you should get money for doing your job.

Kind words? Hell yes, I always say "Thank You" and "You're Welcome" although I am amazed at the number of wait people who do not.

Let us consider first that very few can actually get their education BEFORE they can get a job related to that education.

Secondly, I never said that any damn idiot behind a counter DESERVES a tip; in that I mean it would be customary, like Vortex said.

However, the tip jar doesn't mean ****; nobody demands it of you and I certainly don't expect it or do any less of a job if somebody wasn't to tip.

Afterall, it's what I get paid to do, but there are people, like myself, who feel that a good many servers deserve a little boost now and again.

If you think that's a small percentage, I'd have to disagree because just about EVERYONE who comes to where I work, tells me that managment is ripping me off! You see, I work alone and have to do a lot; usually the work of 2 people. In addition, I have to serve cutomers.

This is why I make decent tips; I feel that some folks have compassion.

If you don't like the tip jars, then don't ****ing use them because you're not being forced to.

I on the otherhand, I will spare a little for people; its not like it'll kill or inconvience me much anyway.

"Only a small coffee with my muffin? DAMN YOU TIP JARS!!"

Come now....

eisanbt said:
Let us consider first thatvery few can accually get their education BEFORE they get a job related to that education. Secondly I never said that any damn idiot behind a counter DESERVES a tip in that it would be cumtomary, like say Vortex. But the tip jar dosn't mean ****, nobody demands it of youand I certainly don't expect it or do any less of a job if somebody wasn't to tip, its what i get paid to do. But there are people who like myself who feel that a good many servers deserve a little boost now and again. If you think thats a small percentage i'd have to disagree because pretty much EVERYONE who comes to where i work tells me that managment is ripping me off (Because i work alone and have to do alot) and they should have on 2 people, this without even knowing how much **** we do BESIDES serve cutomers. This is why i make decent tips, some folks have compassion.

If you don't like the tip jars, then don't ****ing use them, oyu're not being forced. I on the otherhand will spare a little for people, its not like it'll kill (or inconvience me) in pretty much anyway.

"Only a small coffee with my muffin? DAMN YOU TIP JARS!!"
Come now....

I'm going to try and respect you now...so much so, that I'm going to go fix that mess you call a post...I'll leave your original intact here in this quote above.

As I see it, the tip jar is there to make change. Today, I needed change for a ten spot and made it in the tip jar at the Blimpie.

Good example, I've often taken money from my tip jar when people NEED it for whatever they're buying. Oh and CES, thanks for fixing my mess back there. I need to take more time and care when posting. Thanks for the gentle reminder! :D

RoyalOrleans said:
As I see it, the tip jar is there to make change. Today, I needed change for a ten spot and made it in the tip jar at the Blimpie.

LMAO...

Hey, here's the bitter truth...

If I didn't tip the hooker who just got done expertly bobbing and polishing my knob, what the **** makes you think I'm going to tip you for pouring and handing me my cup of coffee?
:eek:

Back