Weekly Church Service

Well man, just so you know, the Catholic Church is not only out of touch with reality, it's pretty out of touch with the Bible, too.

"The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons....They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth." 1 Timothy 4, 1 - 4, NIV.

"Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?)" 1 Timothy 3, 2 - 5, NIV

"A deacon must be the husband of but one wife and must manage his children and his household well." 1 Timothy 3, 12, NIV

Just so you know, deacon (or bishop) and overseer (or elder) are the only offices prescribed in the Bible, and they are not held above any other Christian. Jesus said "Who are my brothers, and my sisters, and my mother? Any who do the will of my Father in Heaven". To be greater than a brother of Christ would be suggestive of being greater than Christ. Paul said we are all equal in the eyes of God, slave or free, man or woman, Jew or Gentile. And lastly, Jesus said "Call no man father, for you have only one Father, who is in Heaven". He was referring to referring to religious leaders as "father" (Not one's actual father, you can still call him father); why should this be changed for the Catholic Church if the Church consists of the followers of Jesus?

The Catholic Church itself I do not believe to be God's, though good things may come of it and true Christians can be found within. The point is that the Catholic Church often works to separate one from the Bible, to present it as the writings of man. If it is the writing of men, then by what basis does the Catholic Church stand on? What is "Holy Tradition" if its origin isn't properly established? Or perhaps that is just the load of crap that my grandparents were fed by certain officers of the Church. But teaching what popes and other men have come up with rather than the Bible does work to separate one from it anyway.

I would suggest you get closer to your Bible, and learn what has been kept from you. The Catholic Church is nothing without it, and in matters where Church and God conflict, God should have authority. Not saying you should leave the Catholics, but you can learn alot more from what has already been set before you.

Back