What is a Deist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mutation can lead to evolution if the specific mutation is favored by the environment. Mutation is not the only vehicle of evolution, though. It is possible for a trait that already exists to become dominant or favored. There are many examples of mutations that are not favorable. Genetic diseases such as Parkinson

From the dictionary:

The belief, based solely on reason, in a God who created the universe and then abandoned it, assuming no control over life, exerting no influence on natural phenomena, and giving no supernatural revelation.

The founding fathers were not so much social darwinists, which really developed fully in the 19th Century with it's most powerful proponent being Herbert Spencer. The founding fathers were basically libertarian (classical liberals) at least as far as white males were concerned. They also were strong proponents of a limited federal government. Any government welfare programs were limited to the states. Social Security is blatantly unconstitutional under a originalist interpretation.

Mostly the unfavorable mutations are in teh human species (though of course not exclusively) and are most likely effects of man himself. I simply use the example of mutation as teh easiest and simplest way to explain it to people. Otherwise I end up going all the way back to gregor mendle and his work with tulips and dominant colors. Unless someone wants me to go further into it I usually stick to the basics.

tizz said:
Mostly the unfavorable mutations are in teh human species (though of course not exclusively) and are most likely effects of man himself. I simply use the example of mutation as teh easiest and simplest way to explain it to people. Otherwise I end up going all the way back to gregor mendle and his work with tulips and dominant colors. Unless someone wants me to go further into it I usually stick to the basics.
Mendle's work was on genetics and the discovery of dominant and recessive genes. It is not used in evolutionary explanations, but I would be curious to see how you tie his work in to evolution.

Well I usually get into long discussions where I end up having to explain to people the process of gene selection and dominant and recessive. So you can see why I try to keep it as simple as possible.

tizz said:
Well I usually get into long discussions where I end up having to explain to people the process of gene selection and dominant and recessive. So you can see why I try to keep it as simple as possible.
But what does that have to do with evolution... Come to think of it, what the hell does any of this have to do with Deism?

ToriAllen said:
But what does that have to do with evolution... Come to think of it, what the hell does any of this have to do with Deism?
That is why I indicated Deism is related Social Darwinism in theory verses Darwinism...

ToriAllen said:

Nothing and nothing, but somehow it always ends up there. Takes way to much typing for me to explain so let us just stick with my pet peeve explanation LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back