Why business is scared of Obama

timesjoke

Last week the EPA revoked a permit for a coal mining operation in West Virginia it had previously approved back in 2007.

After getting their approval the coal company has spent millions of dollars preparing to get this coal and just when they can start actually getting that coal and making money off their investment, the EPA pulls the rug out from under them and takes away the permit.

This is why business is scared to death to invest, at any time Obama and his Government can change the rules and cost them millions of dollars so sometimes it is better to not invest and protect their money while you have such a radical in office.

Business one set of rules that don't change from day to day so they can plan and execute their desire to make money. In many cases it takes years to go from the planning stage to final stages of new big investments like this and after all that time and money has gone by, changing the rules and costing business millions of dollars is not a pretty sight.

Last week the EPA revoked a permit for a coal mining operation in West Virginia it had previously approved back in 2007.

After getting their approval the coal company has spent millions of dollars preparing to get this coal and just when they can start actually getting that coal and making money off their investment, the EPA pulls the rug out from under them and takes away the permit.

This is why business is scared to death to invest, at any time Obama and his Government can change the rules and cost them millions of dollars so sometimes it is better to not invest and protect their money while you have such a radical in office.

Business one set of rules that don't change from day to day so they can plan and execute their desire to make money. In many cases it takes years to go from the planning stage to final stages of new big investments like this and after all that time and money has gone by, changing the rules and costing business millions of dollars is not a pretty sight.

The reason they revoked the permit is sound. Also, they had been in negotiations, but neither side could agree on the terms of a new permit.

It does seem like it would be a little better to say "All permits approved before (date) stand under previous rules, but here are some new ones". Pulling the rug out from under the operation is definitely going to scare people away from investing in such things, since the government is basically saying that it can turn your projects into a money pit with a flick of its wand.

This is Obama's problem though. I agree that things need to be changed, but killing jobs and taking away that money from the economy is not how you run the country. He just decides things need to be changed, and changes them, seemingly without a second thought.

I don't see how the reason was "sound". A sound decision is one that considers all sides and is the most logical to follow. Nothing happening at that site is any different than it was back when the permit was given. Nothing has changed. The only thing that has changed is stricter rules applied after the fact. A massive amount of money was invested on the basis of that permit, it takes many years to fully "gear up" to take action on these kinds of permits so it is illogical to change the rules on an existing permit and site no to mention the great harm to the local and national economy to drive up the cost of coal and kill thousands of jobs in a time we desperately need jobs and lower prices.

So it is not a "sound decision".

Everyone says Obama is so smart so why is it some think he does not know what he is doing?

I propose he knows exactly what he is doing and is tearing down certain sectors on purpose. Coal mining has been a target for the wacko left for a long, long time. Just like he knew the damage to the economy shutting down oil drilling would cause but he did it anyway. To the radical left progressive people like Obama, hurting the Nation in areas like this is justified and needed to force America to find alternative sources of "clean energy". Obama is smart enough to know you can't make the change happen overnight but the more regulations he can get imposed and the more he can screw with investors in these projects, the greater the drive for these industries to perish.

We are dealing with people who see a goal of an all powerful Government who "fixes" everything and lives our lives for us. These guys know there will be pain to get there, but feel the end justifies the means.

The biggest problem I have with it is this is not what America was supposed to be.

I don't see how the reason was "sound". A sound decision is one that considers all sides and is the most logical to follow. Nothing happening at that site is any different than it was back when the permit was given. Nothing has changed. The only thing that has changed is stricter rules applied after the fact. A massive amount of money was invested on the basis of that permit, it takes many years to fully "gear up" to take action on these kinds of permits so it is illogical to change the rules on an existing permit and site no to mention the great harm to the local and national economy to drive up the cost of coal and kill thousands of jobs in a time we desperately need jobs and lower prices.

Everyone says Obama is so smart so why is it some think he does not know what he is doing?

I propose he knows exactly what he is doing and is tearing down certain sectors on purpose. Coal mining has been a target for the wacko left for a long, long time. Just like he knew the damage to the economy shutting down oil drilling would cause but he did it anyway. To the radical left progressive people like Obama, hurting the Nation in areas like this is justified and needed to force America to find alternative sources of "clean energy". Obama is smart enough to know you can't make the change happen overnight but the more regulations he can get imposed and the more he can screw with investors in these projects, the greater the drive for these industries to perish.

We are dealing with people who see a goal of an all powerful Government who "fixes" everything and lives our lives for us. These guys know there will be pain to get there, but feel the end justifies the means.

The biggest problem I have with it is this is not what America was supposed to be.

If you look at the reasons they revoked it, it seems like they never should've allowed the permit to be approved in the first place. But revoking it after the new regulations is a bad move.

If you look at the reasons they revoked it, it seems like they never should've allowed the permit to be approved in the first place. But revoking it after the new regulations is a bad move.

The ruling is insane. Now even a permit no longer gives you the ability to go ahead and invest in a project without concern that permit will be revoked. Businesses invest based on a perceived risk-to-reward ratio. This greatly increases the risks to busineses throughout the US of making certain investments in the economy.

The ruling is insane. Now even a permit no longer gives you the ability to go ahead and invest in a project without concern that permit will be revoked. Businesses invest based on a perceived risk-to-reward ratio. This greatly increases the risks to busineses throughout the US of making certain investments in the economy.

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't agree with the revocation, and I suppose that wasn't made clear in my first post on the topic.

Like I said on the post you quoted, doing what they did was wrong. And if businesses think that there's a chance they'll just be throwing their money away, they won't do it. If they do, they'll soon be out of business.

I like Obama, and think he's trying to do what he thinks is right, but this is absolutely wrong. It's the opposite of how to bring our economy back from recession.

But this also seems to be a huge failing that Obama manages to continually show he hasn't tried to change since he started. He goes in with good intentions ("Oh man, that mountain-top blasting stuff might do bad things to the local area!") and ends up destroying the economy of West Virginia. And possibly bringing us even further into recession by scaring away the businesses that bring jobs.

And before Times says it, I'll disagree right now: I don't think Obama went in with bad intentions and hates business. It seems more like he is trying to change a million things at once without researching the repercussions to the fullest extent of each thing he's trying to change.

And before Times says it, I'll disagree right now: I don't think Obama went in with bad intentions and hates business. It seems more like he is trying to change a million things at once without researching the repercussions to the fullest extent of each thing he's trying to change.
Bad intentions are in the eye of the beholder.

Obama and all of the far left see stopping this kind of industry as "good" even if the stopping hurts the Nation.

Yes, he knows his policies hurt people, but he feels the pain is worth it to "get to the other side" and force us away from the things Progressives feel we should not be doing.

What most people see as "bad intentions" to intentionally kill jobs and hurt business, Obama sees as a necessary evil to get America to transform into the Progressive Utopia they see as the goal.

But Joker, even if you want to see nothing but innocence in Obama's actions we are still left with an old saying:

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

At best Obama means well but is too incompetent to do things without hurting America in the process. I don't believe this is the case though, I really do believe he is very smart like everyone says, and if he is that smart, he knows what he is doing is hurting America. You are saying you see these harms Joker and your education is limited and you have very little experience in the world (not intended to be insulting). If you can see some of the harm you can believe Obama sees it too but feels it is justified to follow the Progressive agenda.

Back