Cloning Our Dead Children?

Flatearther:
Nonetheless, from the perspective of the deceased child, there is no argument that it is most certainly and absolutely dead and gone. But from the point of view of the grieving parents and relatives, their child would be literally

The child would NOT be raised from the dead.

I think it is very possible, ( probably has already been done secretly somewhere ) to clone a human being. An exact match with the exact same features... sure.. but the exact same personality... NEVER !!

Science will never be able to harness a soul. And I would never want to have my child cloned to bring her back to me. It would be nothing more then having a twin.

There are 2 variations of twinning that occur commonly in the world. fraternal and identical.

Focusing on identical... cloning is nothing more then that.

Identical twins each have separate personalities and souls, even though they both came from the same embryo.

If one twin dies, cloning them does not bring them back.

It merely repeats the same process that nature used to create a human.

If my cat Mya died, and was cloned, I would not want the cloned cat, simply because it wouldn't be Mya, it would just be another cat made from the same cells as Mya.

Anybody who would want to clone a human being in the hopes of bringing them back needs ****ing therapy.

I'm not buying it. People go messing with **** like that and they are asking for a curse. If someone did have that done to their child they might think they have a sweet little twin of their deceased child. Until they wake up late one night and witness their child howling at the moon with blood dripping from their jaws.

To even suggest such a thing is purely evil.

phreakwars wrote:
I think it is very possible, ( probably has already been done secretly somewhere ) to clone a human being. An exact match with the exact same features... sure.. but the exact same personality... NEVER !! Anybody who would want to clone a human being in the hopes of bringing them back needs ****ing therapy.
All of course based on the rather quaint assumption that everyone else sees things the way we do. A quick glance at the Elvis Industry soon assures us that religious states & figures are a pretty widespread hobby. Elvis relics are traded like Jesus relics, except there's more of them to trade (Elvis memorabilia, that is). Many parents are so desperate to deny a loss of child that they'd do almost anything - just look at the way old scrappy little photographs of lost ones acquire a shrine like status. I'm not a betting man, but geez, I'd lay half the ranch down that if the technology for this was available here and now and you could order a replica within 24 hours, you'd need four extra arms & legs just to get around, because you'd be so busy stocking the shelves. Sentiment is a most powerful driving force. Cheers!

Phreak's right. A clone is a genetic copy, but the child will not be the same as the original in thought and deed. The voice might not even be the same, so while you end up raising a child that looks like the one you lost, the visual similarities are all you end up with, and you will not be the same as you were when the original child died. You will be that much older, and the original child's siblings will be grown up when the clone is still growing up. Many things to consider there.

Change is the only constant.

I'd like to see pet cloning, but there's enough recessive genetics involved already. That sheep they cloned years ago, suffered incredibly through arthritis, and the boffins have no clue as to why, because the parent had no such affliction.

I remember some religious sect nutter claiming to have already successfully completed a cloning of a human, but that must have been piss in the wind, because it went by the wayside.

What we really need to focus on now is stem cell research, to help those who are living, and suffering. Unfortunately, our do-gooder dumb-**** religious pretender politicians fear they will lose the only voters they have if they support such brilliance in medical advancements.

builder wrote:
Phreak's right. A clone is a genetic copy, but the child will not be the same as the original in thought and deed. The voice might not even be the same, so while you end up raising a child that looks like the one you lost, the visual similarities are all you end up with, and you will not be the same as you were when the original child died.
All quite factual, but not in line with the spirit of my thread. Of course the clone would be a different creature (like a twin of the original) and would have its own plumbing & wiring - no argument there. The big question is why would someone bother to go to such ostensibly idiotic lengths? The answer is in my reply to Phreakwars. Look at the Elvis Industry - to millions, the ******* still hasn't stopped wriggling. The Elvis clone (imitators) factory demonstrates how passionately some will cling to ANY vestige of the loved (and even loathed - Stalin?) one. Even the desperate ones aren't stupid enough to believe that there's been a real Jesus style 'resurrection'. But they are goofy enough to preserve one in aspic and shove it on their mantlepiece..
I remember some religious sect nutter claiming to have already successfully completed a cloning of a human, but that must have been piss in the wind, because it went by the wayside.
Those who fall for any religious bullshit deserve everything they get - inherit the wind.
What we really need to focus on now is stem cell research, to help those who are living, and suffering. Unfortunately, our do-gooder dumb-**** religious pretender politicians fear they will lose the only voters they have if they support such brilliance in medical advancements.
Even that sort of stuff is fraught with imminent disappointment if one assumes that the CEO's of the funding organisations are interested in people's welfare and will not be swayed into corrupt practices by the lure of massive profits. What a gamble. Cheers!

Jhony5 said:
I'm not buying it. People go messing with **** like that and they are asking for a curse. If someone did have that done to their child they might think they have a sweet little twin of their deceased child. Until they wake up late one night and witness their child howling at the moon with blood dripping from their jaws. To even suggest such a thing is purely evil.

Are you entirely MAD Sir!? Are you suggesting we suspend our most important source of journalists & lawyers? How dare you! I shall meet you by the misty tree at sunrise with my seconds. Aaaaawwwwwooooooooooo!

I can see why a parent who lost a child would want to clone them. But at what cost to the child? No matter the age of the dead child, the new child would always be compared, and the parents would probably be frustrated by the differences. If in your grief cloning is a solution to acceptance, you sure aren't going to allow yourself to think about the fact that it's not the same child.

I think it's creepy, and I think it's a bad way for parents to alleviate their grief.

Everything you say is sad but true. To highlight the point, just observe the way some kids are treated after another kid is gone - say, two brothers & one gets run down & killed in an auto accident. The treatment of the surviving brother (or sister) will be visibly altered with all manner of projection & transference behaviours and substitutions. Objectively, cloning is just a fancy way of saying 'we'll give you something that's better than a photograph but not quite the real thing. For some, anything is better than nothing, for others, a secret (miraculous) resurrection is the driving wish list. As long as people believe in 'miracles' and 'divine intervention' and other religious manifestations, the need will remain. What people have a hard time dealing with is the suddennes, randomness and capriciousness of everyday life. Cheers!

Flatearther said:
Everything you say is sad but true. To highlight the point, just observe the way some kids are treated after another kid is gone - say, two brothers & one gets run down & killed in an auto accident. The treatment of the surviving brother (or sister) will be visibly altered with all manner of projection & transference behaviours and substitutions. Objectively, cloning is just a fancy way of saying 'we'll give you something that's better than a photograph but not quite the real thing. For some, anything is better than nothing, for others, a secret (miraculous) resurrection is the driving wish list. As long as people believe in 'miracles' and 'divine intervention' and other religious manifestations, the need will remain. What people have a hard time dealing with is the suddennes, randomness and capriciousness of everyday life. Cheers!

What your saying is exactly why I think it might be ok for house pets but not people. I loved those cats dearly, they went through so much with me, everything from a cancer scare to child birth. One could only hope if they had the same genes and then I raised them in a similar environment they would be similar to the original article.

See, I wouldn't even have my dog cloned. She was a huge part of our family, and almost like a middle child to me. I still miss her, and mourn her loss.

But no matter how I raised her, the clone would not be the same dog. And it would be harder to handle that, than it is to accept her death. Having a "twin" around that acts differently would just be a reminder of what I had really lost.

Which simply illustrates one of life's ironies in the guise of women's attachments. I have heard of many, many women ditching their husbands in the most brutal ways - but I've yet to hear of one divorcing her cat or dog - no matter how vicious, selfish or spiteful (the animal) might have been. They are forgiven EVERYTHING. The husbands are forgiven NOTHING. Cheers!

Flatearther said:
Which simply illustrates one of life's ironies in the guise of women's attachments. I have heard of many, many women ditching their husbands in the most brutal ways - but I've yet to hear of one divorcing her cat or dog - no matter how vicious, selfish or spiteful (the animal) might have been. They are forgiven EVERYTHING. The husbands are forgiven NOTHING. Cheers!

The upside of pets is you can throw them on the back porch, garage or back yard as punishment...You are supposed to be a little more reasonable with your spouse's.

But that's just some academic's crackpot theory, right? Steady as she goes. Cheers!

So, what would it take for you to divorce your cat, dog, budgie or crocodile? I'm dying for the answer. Cheers!

RoyalOrleans said:
I bet John and Patsy (Rot in Hell) Ramsey wish cloning technology was around ten years ago.
Why? Is there someone they didn't get even with? Not all the parking lots have been dug up yet you know - have patience. Cheers!

Back