Did neanderthals go to heaven?

Goombah tells me there was no worldwide flood, Praise Goombah. Let us celebrate his goodness by consuming fermented crops of the field.

hugo said:
Goombah tells me there was no worldwide flood, Praise Goombah. Let us celebrate his goodness by consuming fermented crops of the field.
Praise Goombah! Could you ask Goombah where I hid my stash? Like all this praising and **** I seem to have misplaced it.

I'm buiding an arkbut I plan to just have DNA samples, eggs and swimmers to represent each living animal. then I will send it all to mars for future repopulation.:rolleyes:

I guess it all comes down to what exactly a Neanderthal was.

As a Christian, I don't see why I don't believe in him, but apparently I don't, because the highly intelligent (and obviously well versed in religious theology) people of GF say I don't.

Some of you could really benefit from a Bible study or two. Then at least you would actually know what it is you are trying to rip apart, instead of just making stuff up.

OmegaManiac said:
I'm buiding an arkbut I plan to just have DNA samples, eggs and swimmers to represent each living animal. then I will send it all to mars for future repopulation.:rolleyes:

So you don't like watching a horse ****?

Some of you could really benefit from a Bible study or two. Then at least you would actually know what it is you are trying to rip apart, instead of just making stuff up
And what exactly did I make up? Did I insult your little religion? Bible studies are for children, as the proper age for effective brainwashing is prepubescent. I'm far to old and wise for brainwashing (bible study) to be effective.

eddo said:
I guess it all comes down to what exactly a Neanderthal was.

As a Christian, I don't see why I don't believe in him, but apparently I don't, because the highly intelligent (and obviously well versed in religious theology) people of GF say I don't.
In my expirience, a pathetically high number of Christians believe that if it wasn't mentioned in the Bible, it didn't happen. Sad, I know.

eddo said:
Some of you could really benefit from a Bible study or two. Then at least you would actually know what it is you are trying to rip apart, instead of just making stuff up.
I've suffered through enough Bible studies for multiple lifetimes.

angie said:
In my expirience, a pathetically high number of Christians believe that if it wasn't mentioned in the Bible, it didn't happen. Sad, I know.

I'll bet you've never been to bible studies/orgies. Brings in a crowd.

I'm sure cavemen will be allowed in heaven.

Just keep out those damn, dirty apes! shakes fist in the air

They don't deserve everlasting glory.

angie said:

I'm right there with you...I was dragged to church every weekend until I got old enough to get a job that required me to work on Sabbath. That was a stroke of genius.

The Adventists I was raised around believe as you say, if it happened, it was mentioned in the Bible or in the writings of their so called profit...To me, the profit part makes them even crazier.

Adventists don't believe in Dinosaurs, Neandrathal man or any of that. They choke when you present them with proof like they have actually found bones to support belief.

Lethalfind said:
I'm right there with you...I was dragged to church every weekend until I got old enough to get a job that required me to work on Sabbath. That was a stroke of genius.

The Adventists I was raised around believe as you say, if it happened, it was mentioned in the Bible or in the writings of their so called profit...To me, the profit part makes them even crazier.

Adventists don't believe in Dinosaurs, Neandrathal man or any of that. They choke when you present them with proof like they have actually found bones to support belief.
Isn't the Earth only like 3000 years old in their happy little world?? ****ing scary. I was raised Catholic, my psycho father had an epiphany and started making us go to this crazy born again place. My brothers and I (12, 9 and 4) had to sit through an hour of Sunday School and 4-5 hours of preaching. There were days I contemplated suicide.

Lethalfind said:

As far as the dinosaur thing, do you want to hear the three most absolute lame excuses I have gotten?

1) Of course there were dinosaurs. Behemoth and Leviathan.

2) Dragons.

3) Dinosaurs were not relevant to the Bible so they were not added in.

And bible study? Done it. It is only helpful when they are teaching a lesson about life. Other than that...definitely not my thing.

I was raised Christian, but my family is very open and curious about things. My grandmother is the person that is the strictest with interpretation of the Bible, but even she discusses other possibilities not mentioned in the Bible. I grew up on discussions about the paranormal, aliens, prehistoric times, and other non Biblical notions. The truth is our knowledge of the universe is so limited, it is impossible for anyone to claim they know all the answers. I have a hard time understanding people who are so closed minded that they ignore everything outside of their own belief system. They might as well live in a bubble. I have never actually been around Christians like that. For most of my childhood I went to a non-denominational Church. My mother and father skipped around between Methodist, Baptist, Pentecostal, and various other denominations when I was growing up. I saw all of the views. What separated them and what held them together.
We can study religions, ancient texts, science, and faith, but in the end all of the ideas about heaven, hell, and spirituality are just speculation. The only ones that really know anything about the after life are already there.

Hey, I'm new and thought I'd chime in. So you know where I'm coming from, I am a Christian and I do believe the Bible is true.

Concerning the flood account. I do not believe that it is necessary to see the flood account of Genesis 6-8 as a global flood. The words translated "earth" are "eretz" or "adam" which could be translated ground, land (under the heading of "land" alone it has the possible meanings of country, territory, district, region, piece of ground, etc.), dirt, or earth. Translators have chosen the translate most of the occurences of these words as "earth", but is earth in our mind and in the mind of the original author the same thing? No, it wasn't. When the "earth below" or "heavens above" are mentioned he probably meant all of the sky that he could see. A flood could well have encompassed all that Noah understood to be the world. A similar thing happens in the New Testament when the Great Commission, Jesus' command to deliver the gospel to entire world, is believed to be accomplished by the disciples and the early church. They had delivered the gospel throughout the Roman Empire, the entire known world in their eyes had heard the Gospel, and many were sitting back waiting for Jesus to return. In reality they had only just begun. Back to Noah, I believe that everything Noah knew, his entire world and more than he probably understood, was destroyed along with animals and humans within that area. It has already been stated within this thread that there are multiple flood accounts in other cultures such as the Sumerians. This should not be surprising if there was indeed a flood that occured, in fact the Sumerians demarcated it as a time period referencing events as "before the flood" and "since the flood". For these reasons and more I do not see understanding the flood as a local and not global phenomenon from a biblical standpoint. I think the historical evidence would seem to support this view as well. From a more practical standpoint, am I supposed to believe that koalas, kangaroos, tazmanian tigers, etc strung together a crude raft and piloted their way to Noah in order to be safe from a flood? I mean if they could do that then they probably could have weathered the storm with all the alligator meat the tazmanian devils provided... or something.

About dinosaurs and creation. I hang my head in shame when I hear some Christians sects saying dinosaurs never existed... where the hell did all the bones come from? Before I talk about creation I think it's also important to point out that the creation of the world is pretty much summed up in less than a chapter of a 50 chapter book. I point it out just to show that the book really isn't interested in the topic, rather it's point is likened to a stepping stone for the reader to reach the Exodus. In creation, I would hold what would probably be called a "Modified Gap Theory". We ought to note that Genesis 1:1-2 is seperate from the "days of creation". The Earth is created and appears to be left, for how long who knows perhaps millions or billions of years. Was there life on the planet at this time, I don't see why not if the conditions were correct. Once the "days of creation" do begin the text doesn't say how long a day is either. The first chapter is very stylistic and seems to have more to say about the power of God rather than any kind of facts concerning what is created. It does not need to be 6 24 hour periods of time simply because they are called "days", which could be translated other ways as well. As for why dinosaurs aren't in the Bible, were any of the biblical writiers fighting them or something? If dinosaurs were extinct by the time the Bible was actually written then we shouldn't be surprised they aren't in there. What would be surprising is an ancient Hebrew Indiana Jones digging up dinosaur bones and fighting Nazis. I'm sure if pterodactyls flew all the Hebrews out of Egypt then they would have been mentioned.

I need to go to bed but I'd like to hear any thoughts you may have.

packoutsandwich said:
Hey, I'm new and thought I'd chime in. So you know where I'm coming from, I am a Christian and I do believe the Bible is true.
I completely agree. I think it is more a book of morality, than a book of facts. I think the historical events were written down by individuals with a much more limited knowledge of the scientific world than we have, and that they should not be scrutinized for that. A bit of understanding is necessary. To illustrate this point in the past, I pointed out that in the Bible helicopters are described in a vision as Giant Fireflies, or something like that. They describe thinks according to the knowledge available then.
packoutsandwich said:
Concerning the flood account. I do not believe that it is necessary to see the flood account of Genesis 6-8 as a global flood.

Noahs ark huh?

I believe in the story, but bare in mind that the stories contained in the bible are supernatural.Just as jesus fed hundreds of curious followers with just five fish and two loaves of bread....and he walked on water and rebuked the storm to stillness.When your dealing with the supernatural all logic fails.The bible simplifies the mechanics that are beyond our mortal understanding.

RoyalOrleans said:
To all you biblethumpers; what was the name of Noah's wife?
There does not seem to be any passages in the Bible referring to her other than the account beginning in Genesis 7:7 which mentions Noah's wife. His wife is not named in the Bible for certain; however, according to Jewish tradition her name is Naamah.

Why Tubal-cain's sister (a daughter of Lamech by his wife Zillah, and sister of Tubal-cain, a descendant of Cain) should be specifically mentioned is unknown. Jewish tradition made her Noah's wife. Her name, meaning "the beautiful" or "the pleasant one," reflects the worldly mind of the Cainites, who looked for beauty rather than for character as the chief attraction in women.

Back