Important New Members Sign In Here

schoolmom said:
Thanks for the welcome. It is really weird. Your name is Old Salt and that is the name of one of the main characters in a story we were just reading in my ELL Reading II class. The name of the island that they went to look for burried treasure was "Rose Island" and my avatar is a rose. WEIRD!!! LOL
Strange things do happen.:eek:

schoolmom said:
Hello, I am a newby. I was invited to join this forum, so I did. Not sure how much time I will have to participate until summer, being a teacher, raising a family and working on my Masters degree. Politically I am a moderate that leans to the left. I am married and have 2.5 kids. My stepson is 16, my son is 8 and my daughter is 2. I teach ELL at the High School level. I have about one year left until I get my Masters degree (and can't wait for that to be DONE!).

Hey schoolmom.. Welcome to the site.. The more the merrier. I just started nursing school. I had my first clinical today. My back is killing me and I'm exhausted! I went back to school after 15 years to be nurse. :eek:

I really like it though, glad I did. I can't wait to be done too though. It is quite an intense program..

Good luck on your masters! What are you studying?

schoolmom said:
Hey, why don't I have any power? How do I get power like I'm with stupid and Old Salt?

You get power by people giving you rep for your posts. It's the little symbol of an old tyme scale on the upper right part of the post.

People really haven't seemed to get real into the giving rep thing on here yet. Some do. I used to but since I'm a mod I don't want to give the impression that I am siding with any one member over another.

Many of your questions can be answered with this page...

Off Topic Forum - The Ultimate Chat and Debate Forum - FAQ

ImWithStupid said:
You get power by people giving you rep for your posts. It's the little symbol of an old tyme scale on the upper right part of the post.

People really haven't seemed to get real into the giving rep thing on here yet. Some do. I used to but since I'm a mod I don't want to give the impression that I am siding with any one member over another.

Many of your questions can be answered with this page...

Off Topic Forum - The Ultimate Chat and Debate Forum - FAQ

She just got some from me.. the first I've doled out. :)

I forget about that.. never used it before.. Might have to start going crazy with it.. :D

wez said:

I forget about that.. never used it before.. Might have to start going crazy with it.. :D

One of the problems with it right now, is that you have to spread it around before you can give more to the same person.

ImWithStupid said:
One of the problems with it right now, is that you have to spread it around before you can give more to the same person.

Just spread some to "Mr power hungry". :D

Think I'll go on a rep binge here quick...

wez said:

They work both positive and negative, wez.;)

Old Salt said:
They work both positive and negative, wez.;)

All good from me.. wonder if eddo will return the favor. :rolleyes:

My momma always told me, "if you don't have anything nice to say, shut the hell up". :D

I'm gonna remember to do it from now on.. I see a lot of words from people I love to hear, or see, as may be the case. :)

I did have one negative one.. but it appears that member got banned.. I was gonna give him some good rep but don't have the option to.. Hahahaha

The rep system works in part by the users total post accumulation, and in part by rep given to them by others.

You won't see a significant number of rep points until the site matures a bit more and has more ACTIVE users daily then what it does now.

Some members are GF carry over members, but the site is still in it's infancy stage at this point even with the newer members gained.

Bender said:
The rep system works in part by the users total post accumulation, and in part by rep given to them by others.

You won't see a significant number of rep points until the site matures a bit more and has more ACTIVE users daily then what it does now.

Some members are GF carry over members, but the site is still in it's infancy stage at this point even with the newer members gained.

Glad it came up.. I'm gonna start using it everytime I see some good words.. which is quite often.. Never even thought about it.. We should give school mom a quick 10. :)

Old Salt said:
One thing about the reps given by members is that you can't tell who they're from unless they sign them.

That's good to know.. I'll add that to the end of em all... Glad I got a short name. :D

OK, I changed the settings. You should now be able to see who left you rep, but if it starts being an issue where people are openly complaining about rep someone gave them time and time again, I will shut it off. Otherwise, there is always blah blah

Wez,

I went back to school when I was 31, so I know what you mean. It is a great feeling to do something that you want. I am getting my Masters in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis on English Language Learners. Basically a fancy title for taking some classes that will give me a Masters in an area that I had already gotten a teaching endorsement in. My ELL teacher told me that after I got that endorsement I was 1/2 way to my Masters so I may as well just finish it out for the degree. Masters degree makes a big difference on the pay scale when your a teacher. The only way to move on the scale quickly is to keep taking college classes for your whole life!! LOL

thanks to everyone for the welcomes!!

schoolmom said:
Wez,

I went back to school when I was 31, so I know what you mean. It is a great feeling to do something that you want. I am getting my Masters in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis on English Language Learners. Basically a fancy title for taking some classes that will give me a Masters in an area that I had already gotten a teaching endorsement in. My ELL teacher told me that after I got that endorsement I was 1/2 way to my Masters so I may as well just finish it out for the degree. Masters degree makes a big difference on the pay scale when your a teacher. The only way to move on the scale quickly is to keep taking college classes for your whole life!! LOL

thanks to everyone for the welcomes!!

That's great schoolmom! I think I enjoy school now more than I ever did. I often say, I wish I could afford to be a student the rest of my life. I started a law degree in the early 90's and would like to get one, just not earn a living as one, if you know what I mean. ;)

I hope to continue to further my education in nursing as well when I finish the BSN. I'd like to start working too though and get my feet wet in the field. Best of luck and please let us know how it goes. :)

Back