Soccer Thread

Hmm... I have one question.
As a soccer fan, I fail to see why so little Mexicans play for major European leagues.

Rafael Marquez(Barca), Ricardo Osorio (Stuttgart), Pavel Pardo (Stuttgart), Carlos Salcido (PSV)

Carlos Vela (Salamanca [on loan from Arsenal]), Giovanni Dos Santos (Barca B), Aaron Galindo (Grasshoppers) + other sub 17 champions scattered.

>.< Our core of European players is the defense...
hopefully some new players get transfered =/

tough question...
Mexico's got a good national team, but I don't think it has the same reputation as like S-American countries for producing good players

maybe the mexican league is good enough for them not to want to join european clubs...I dunno, you tell me

Well... they pay a lot. That's a good incentive.
But most of them (****... all of them) want to go play in Europe.

I think that the whole S-american crap is a bunch of bullshit.
We have proven it in the Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana (which Mexican teams are invited to). One team just won the Sudamericana.
For the libertadores, we've reached between the quarterfinals to the finals themselves.

Chivas (Mexican team) is number 41 (went from 29 to 41 =/) in the world. They are above numerous southamerican teams (including Boca Juniors).
Chivas beat Boca 4 - 0 in the Libertadores in the quarterfinals... that's proof enough that they're to their level.

lol I'll link you to a video of the goals...
the resolution is pretty crappy but you can still sorta see the 4 goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJv3gDsqktU

aside from this, Chivas played vs. Sao Paulo in the group stage of the libertadores last year. Both of the games were won by Chivas 2 - 1.

They would then lose against Sao Paulo in the semi-finals since most of the starters were called up by the mexico coach. *shrugs*

GAHHH youtube sucks lol
gotta love latino soccer commentators though haha
nice goals from what I could see
and chivas seems to be a really good team

yeh... they're the current champions of the Mexican League.

3rd in the league table.
2nd in their group.

Well... in Mexico, they play in groups. Each group has 6 teams. 18 teams in total.
The first and second place of each group go on to "la liguilla (the playoffs)."
The best 2 best 3rd places then go on as well.

Through the playoffs, we get our champion =O

About the latino commentators... they give more passion to the goal celebration.
If you're interested, I could get you some more vids on Chivas :D

hmm... what else...
Oh! They're currently the only team in the world who plays with a squad full of mexicans.
They have never fielded players from outside the country (which is a cool concept most teams should be following).

good team indeed

thanks lol now I know all about the mexican league :p

ahh...doesn't the mexican league get a lot of players from s-america?

i think there lies ur problem then, alot of players playing in the mexican league are south american =/

although its great to see that local players are off in europe....i would rather my national heroes staying to develop our own league, like the A-league, we re slowly making it into something much bigger than the old NSL a few years ago with the marquee player system and us venturing into asia, so although it does **** you good players arent in europe, it is good that theyre still at home helping develop the local leagues so that for the future, one day our leagues maybe as good as europe ad internationals will want to come to mexico...australia etc to play rather than for a holiday

i got my date wrong on the computer....when is the euro qualifiers? cause my tv guide doesnt have em in, i know SBS are showing it live, but i cant seem to find the date theyre playing(england andorra,scotland italy)

someone help me out?

can i just say, futsol is ****ing awesome, the games are so technically brilliant and fast paced. alot of magic happens on those courts, hopefully one day futsol can be as big as soccer is now, players like ronaldinho and such developed their talens in futsol before playing soccer

nice vids
and yeah the matches are tomorrow in europe but I don't know with the timezones what time/day that might be in australia...might be the same day just late, or the next day

all i know is that apparenlty SBS,our broadcaster is showing the england-andorra game then the italy-scotland game, stupid tv guide...>_>

International Friendlies

USA 0 - 0 Guatemala

--------------------------------

Mexico 4 - 2 Ecuador

Goals:
1-0 Juan Francisco Palencia (1') MEX
1-1
Carlos Tenorio (43') ECU
1-2
Geovanni Espinoza(56') ECU
2-2 Rafael Márquez (73' free kick) MEX
3-2 Omar Bravo (84') (assist by Adolfo Bautista) MEX
4-2
Adolfo Bautista (87') (assist by Omar Bravo) MEX

if it home country report time then,
Spain - Iceland 1-0
in the most wet match I have ever watched I think...and I thought it didn't rain like that on Mallorca lol
*1-0 Iniesta '80
we were so close to the draw...>.>

anyway well done by Mexico to snatch the win

EUROCUP 2008 QUALIFYING ROUND

Group A
Poland 5 - 0 Azerbaijan
Kazakhstan 2 - 1 Serbia
Portugal 4 - 0 Belgium

Group B
Scotland 2 - 1 Georgia
Faroe Islands 0 - 2 Ukraine
Lithuania 0 - 1 France

Group C
Moldova 1 - 1 Malta
Norway 1 - 2 Bosnia-Herzegovina
Greece 1 - 4 Turkey

Group D
Republic of Ireland 1 - 0 Wales
Cyprus 1 - 3 Slovakia
Czech Republic 1 - 2 Germany

Group E
Croatia 2 - 1 F.Y.R. Macedonia
Israel 0 - 0 England
Estonia 0 - 2 Russia

Group F
Liechtenstein 1 - 4 Northern Ireland
Spain 2 - 1 Denmark

WE ****IN' KICK ASSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

that was a few days ago, they drew 1-1 with serbia today

italy beat scotland 2-0,decent game,lacked a lil intensity,but italy were well deserved winners,close group now with scotland,france and ukraine all tied and italy only agame behind now

england cruised past andorra, who i reckon put up one of the most disgraceful displays of football iv ever seen, no flair,got dominated,resorted to dirty tactics,diving left right and centre, i mean if u watch wayne rooney, all u could see was ppl running across and grabbing him or giving him a mouthful,they seemed more intent on getting rooney booked than they were playing football

champions league returns very soon, im psyched,first leg is gonna be brilliant and tense affairs

Back