What Keeps You Out Of Prison?

At the moment its this computer screen that is holding me back from beat the **** out of you....for posting something so stupid..

vizcaya19 said:
At the moment its this computer screen that is holding me back from beat the **** out of you....for posting something so stupid..
365 days in the box for saying the most stupid, chest thumping, comment this year.

Get real.

vizcaya19 said:

Ditto.

You have to be the dumbest mother****er ever to post around here.

The fact that I don't want to get my ass kicked in prison.

Lol, I don't really know many people who has prison experience so I don't know much about how real prison is like, instead of the cliched prison sceneries I believe..

not breaking the law is what keep me out of prison.

Guess I'm just smart like that: Don't break the law- don't get sent to prison.

eddo said:

This is kind of like me too, except I think the original question/post is intended for "everyone gets pissed and snaps once in a while, what if an extreme situation happens, like your friend goes ****ing apeshit and tries to kill you and you're pissed at him too."

"Just don't break the law" keeps you from doing all that? I'm merely curious.

SouLess said:
This is kind of like me too, except I think the original question/post is intended for "everyone gets pissed and snaps once in a while, what if an extreme situation happens, like your friend goes ****ing apeshit and tries to kill you and you're pissed at him too."

"Just don't break the law" keeps you from doing all that? I'm merely curious.
well in that case, it is more of a "don't get caught" type of thing. :)

Self control is an amazing thing. Sure I get upset at people, but never to the point of wanting to do actual physical harm to them, or their possessions. and yeah, that self control goes farther than just "not breaking the law" but having that moral leading (which is basically what laws are) to go by and understand does, in fact, keep me from breaking the law.

Most of the laws make sense. Their reason is clear- whether it be safety, maintaining order, or just the betterment of society- so why break them?

Yeah, self control is amazing..;) Too bad many people don't have it..

To answer this, though:
eddo said:
Their reason is clear- whether it be safety, maintaining order, or just the betterment of society- so why break them?
I'm not exactly sure, probably for many reasons.

Sometimes the will to commit a crime for whatever the reason is outweighs the fear of getting sent to prison or receiving a death penalty.
Sometimes the criminals are just ****ing demented.
Sometimes the criminals are in great poverty and need food/money, so they steal, etc.
Usually, the criminals commit something without the intention of getting caught.

This is what I have seen so far, probably missed a couple.

eddo said:

Money can keep you out of prison as well. Fame is also a repellent for justice i.e. raping children and being a pop-star cough cough Micheal Jackson cough.

I've committed so many crimes in my life. From class c misdemeanors to class b felonies. Stupid **** that I'd like to attribute to my environment at the time. Never been arrested. Hell I never even got a speeding ticket. Was it my intelligence? My prowess and cunning? Nahhh man, all luck. Dumb luck as it were. I say dumb luck because, well I was doing dumb ****. Hard to say that one could be smart while doing something stupid. Breaking into a home when you have no idea if anyone is there, well ya thats stupid. Breaking into a home when you know theres nobody there, thats still ****ing stupid. Like the temperature, stupidity comes in many degrees. But stupid is stupid.

As for spur of the moment crimes of passion. As Eddo put it, self-control.
If you came home early from work, and caught your wife ****in on yer buddy, ya you're probably going to react. But whether one admits it or not, if you break out all devil and kill somebody, you made the choice to do so. The choice to lose all self-control. Murder is not an involuntary reaction. Its not a knee-jerk. Its a conscious decision to let go of consequence as it gives way to retribution.

As I type this, somewhere in the world a fella is sitting in prison serving 20 to life because he wasn't gonna lose face to the guy that cut him off in traffic. Rude gestures gave way to insults which elevated toward threats. Bravado and machismo turns to fighting, which ends in gunfire. One man dead and another didn't get home from work that day to see the new episode of "24". No sir, hes got his hand in the back pocket of his "daddy" being pulled around cell-block 9, often being traded off for a carton of smokes.

I have to agree with most of what Nazz said. Many laws do not in any way whatsoever contribute to the betterment of society. One could show that locking a man up for 6 months, subsequently ruining his life, over a few pot plants or some other victimless crime, degrades our society.

Many laws aren't actually intended to better our society. They are meant to push a moral code, to be enforced by law. Setting a standard by which all the good little robots can fall in line and adopt as their own.

I have a friend named Dave that got busted while hanging out at a small get together about 3 years ago. He was about 29 years old at the time. Was married with two children. He worked as a plumber and had just bought a home. Well he and three other friends of mine were all smoking and playing poker on a Friday night. The fella that owned the house let his dog outside to do his business. Well, they were all high and having fun so he forgot to let the dog back in. Apparently it had been barking non-stop for about 2 hours and they didn't hear because of the music and other ambient noises. The police came over in response to a noise complaint. They smelled pot and rushed right on in getting everyone on the floor.
Well my buddy Dave had a two half-ounce bags of weed on him that he had bought earlier and he had just cashed his check and had about $700 cash on him.
He was charged and convicted of possession with the intent to distribute narcotics for profit. As well the charge was a felony because his ounce of weed was actually 32 grams, about 4 grams over 1 ounce. Which is the barrier between felony and misdemeanor possession. They served a warrant at his house and scared the living **** outta his wife and kids. Confiscated a box of sandwich bags, rolling papers and some cash in a sock drawer. His truck was actually sold at an auction, because they took possession of it and he would have had to ****ing BUY HIS OWN TRUCK BACK for about $5,000 dollars.

He lost his job. He lost his house. He lost his truck. He spent 10 months in county and returned to society a broken man.
I'm talking about a really nice guy that never hurt anyone. Who benefited from his imprisonment?

Now I could tell this same story to some people and they would say he deserved what he got because he choose to break the law. Words of a ****ing pig. A conformist with no spine.

Victimless crimes should never ever ****ing not ever result in the imprisonment of Americans. Everyday it happens.

Jhony5 said:
Victimless crimes should never ever ****ing not ever result in the imprisonment of Americans. Everyday it happens.

IF I go and buy drugs, I KNOW the potential consequences...everyone does, just because the outcome of being caught can be potentially ****ed up, like it was with your friend, we ALL (unless you're retarded) know what can happen...drugs, cops, charges, court, jail...ain't a good look on your resume and you have a family and a business to think about?.

Two half ounce bags ON HIM?. That's "supply". If you're THAT keen on smoking pot, move to where it's decriminalized...it should be that way EVERYWHERE, that'll get rid of all the **** that comes with it, like exactly what you described...but right now it's criminal activity, we all know it, and we all know the potential consequences.

But how do you define "victimless" crime?...

MOKO said:
IF I go and buy drugs, I KNOW the potential consequences...everyone does, just because the outcome of being caught can be potentially ****ed up, like it was with your friend, we ALL (unless you're retarded) know what can happen...

Well you're right to some extent. When a predefined consequence of any action is laid out, and one chooses to run the risk....well its a cause and effect situation. Same as the East Germans knew the consequence when they decided to make West for the barbed wire. Point being, sometimes the consequence is far to extreme.

Two half ounce bags ON HIM?. That's "supply".
Well it was circumstance that resulted in him having two bags instead of one large. The guy he bought it from didn't have a whole ounce, rather two halves. So he didn't take the time to put them together in one bag. For those of you not following. When they find you with drugs in two packages, it show motive toward distribution. That and he had his $700 in cash left from his check. Even though he could prove he had cashed a check that afternoon for more than that amount, they took it anyway as he couldn't prove that particular $700 was indeed from his check.

...but right now it's criminal activity, we all know it, and we all know the potential consequences
I agree. He couldn't blame anyone but that damn dog for his ill circumstance. But the point of my mentioning that instance, was to reinforce the point that victimless crimes being punished so vigorously are detrimental to society, as opposed to what we are told. A hard working family man with no criminal record had his life thrown onto the rocks because of mandatory sentencing and overpowered judicial tactics. Prosecution that involves ignoring extenuating circumstance (the fact that he had two bags instead of one/ his possession of $700).

Our laws, especially concerning drugs, have been finagled to a point where they prefer wrongful conviction over no conviction. Take this for example. Many states have adopted a law called "Constructive possession". What this means and where its applied is when they pull over a car with 4 people in it. Upon searching the vehicle they find a bag of cocaine under the seat. Under the terms of "Constructive possession" all people in the car are charged with possession of the same substance if no one admits ownership. Defying logic. No, its silly to assert that 4 people can possess the same object.
The other people might have had no knowledge whatsoever of the fact that any drugs were in the car, but they go to jail anyway. Because the law refuses to let people have a chance of getting away with a crime.

But how do you define "victimless" crime?...
Good question. Seems obvious at first, but spin doctors will provide loose fitting explanations of how being in possession of a bag of weed indeed produces victims. If you buy illegal drugs from a dealer, you are perpetuating his illegal activity. Therefor you are in part, financing his illegal activity which down the line will result in kids buying drugs from this same fella. Theres yer victims. Right? By buying drugs I have indirectly perpetuated an activity that allowed some poor kid to get hooked on dope.

I however find these sort of semantics purely laughable. Buying, growing or possessing dope in no way directly or indirectly victimizes anyone, save for maybe yourself by way of having a habit. The logic that follows this is the same logic that has made attempted suicide a crime. Public intoxication, thats a ****ing crime? Ya buddy it is. But who was the victim? Stand out on the sidewalk in front of your home, drunk, and your breaking the law. Show me the victim please.

Think you catch my drift, Moko?

Back