Who doesn't know how to make meatloaf?

phreakwars

I'll tell ya who didn't know, but they know now... my wife. A large percentage of my kitchen time involves having my kids (mainly my daughter) help prepare food. Tonight though, it was my wife's turn. She knew I had scheduled meatloaf for last night's supper, and wanted to learn how to do it herself rather then have me make it all the time. She wanted to expand a bit beyond her spaghetti and Hamburger Helper making skills and try something else, figured meatloaf sounded easy enough.

So rather then go over my classic method I usually use which requires chopping onions, peppers, spices, dried bread crumbs and such, I showed her one of my alternate "God damn it, I don't have time for this ****" methods, which I will now share with you all

In a medium bowl, combine

• [ ]1 egg[ ]1 cup of milk[ ]4 or 5 slices of bread[ ]1/4 cup of picante sauce (I use pace, red lid salsa)[ ]4-5 dashes of Worcestershire sauce[ ]1 Tablespoon of dried minced onion[ ]2-3 generous dashes of steak rub/seasoning ( I use Emeril's )
Mix the hell out of it till basically, the bread is all broke down and mushy and everything is well blended, then toss in

• [ ]2 lbs ground beef
Just mush the hell out of it with your hands and fingers till it well mixed. Keep in mind the percentage of beef you use is gonna determine how damn greasy this mess will be when it's done cooking, but you need some of that fat to keep the meat moist, so I wouldn't go any lower then 85% or any higher then 93%. I like to compromise and go with 1 lb of 85%, and 1 lb of 93%

Either way, cook in a meatloaf pan @ 375 degrees for 50 minutes, while cooking prepare topping for meatloaf using

• [ ]1/4 cup of brown sugar[ ]3 tablespoons of ketchup[ ]1 tablespoon of mustard[ ]2-3 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
After cooking for 50 minutes, remove from oven and drain excess grease from pan (careful now), then pour your meatloaf topping sauce on top of meatloaf, and spread evenly.

Return to oven for 10-15 more minutes, then

LET'S EAT !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I usually do all the cooking at home. My wife is a good cook when she wants to be, she just has very little confidence in her cooking ability, and a very short list of things she knows how to make.

So anytime I teach her something new, I'll try to use ingredients that she can always find on the spice rack that are easy to measure, and keep the recipe simple enough that even my kids remember what goes inside.

She's on shutdown vacation at her job for the next 2 weeks, so she'll be home everyday. It gives her the perfect chance to do what she normally doesn't.... cook.

Tomorrow, the meal plan is chicken fried steak... another one of those things she has NEVER made. Gonna show her how simple it is with a bit of flour, some buttermilk and a non-stick pan.

Plan on complimenting it with some mashed potatoes, corn, country gravy, and some nice freshly baked bread!!

I love to cook, mainly because I love to eat.

With five sisters and a mother, I'm still the best in the family at cooking the old spag bol.

And my salads sometimes look too pretty to eat.

:p

Sounds pretty good, Bender. Can you please also post the other more elaborate, better way to make the meatloaf as well?

Three tablespoons of ketchup wouldn't cut it for me. I use a whole can of tomato sauce.

Three tablespoons of ketchup wouldn't cut it for me. I use a whole can of tomato sauce.

Agrees. I didn't notice that before. I would greatly up on all the sauces to coat the loaf all over and generously.

I was remembering this post and Eddo's disdain for meatloaf while taking the elevator downstairs to the cafe. I was hoping for meatloaf, vegetables, homemade mashed potatoes w/gravy and a roll, and that's exactly what was featured today! Yum, score!!:)

Back