Are demons real?

DizzyME

After seeing the preview for "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" for the millionth time, I have to ask this question:

Do demons exist? If you think so, why? If not, why?

Do you believe that people can be possessed by demons?

I want to say I don't believe that things such as demons exist, but when I hear some of the stories that are supposed to be based on fact, it makes me wonder what the hell is going on. I realize some of the cases could be caused by mental disorders, and many are hoaxes, but I want to know what you think. Those of you that are religious, I'd like to know what your faith says about demons.

Well... I believe in Demons and Ghosts, etc.
But in a more practical sense, even if those aren't real, I think demons exist in a context where it's synonymous with "issues"
I don't know if you can prove actual demons exist though. But just because you can't prove something doesn't mean you can disprove them. It's like wondering if God is real or not.
Perhaps demons are just our minds screwing with us. Perhaps not. Yeah, I believe in demons, because I've seen 'em. Perhaps it was just my eyes playing tricks on me, but I still saw something, be it real or not, so I'm going to choose to believe in them, for now.

ParasiteGod said:
But in a more practical sense, even if those aren't real, I think demons exist in a context where it's synonimous(sp?) with "issues"
I don't know if you can prove actual demons exist though. But just because you can't prove something doesn't mean you can disprove them. It's like wondering if God is real or not.
Perhaps demons are just our minds screwing with us. Perhaps not. Yeah, I believe in demons, because I've seen 'em. Perhaps it was just my eyes playing tricks on me, but I still saw something, be it real or not, so I'm going to choose to believe in them, for now.
I'm both religios and opinion.I think that they exist.God does exist,but there's also a devil.Doesn't that remind you of something PG? ;) I wish I didn't but I do believe that Demons,Ghost,etc,do exist.

ParasiteGod said:
But in a more practical sense, even if those aren't real, I think demons exist in a context where it's synonimous(sp?) with "issues"

That i can agree with.....Its more of a metaphore for an evil person than an actually barbed devil claiming to send us away from god etc.....

but then again....maybe i am wrong

View attachment 441

Attachments

• 218a99201befa9a72251ea662c0aaf65.jpg
    218a99201befa9a72251ea662c0aaf65.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 10
Always with my two cents, so here goes. This, of course, is based on me being an atheist, so this is all in my humble opinion ;)

As you all know [that I think], God does NOT exist, and therefore neither does the Devil. There is no Hell, and no Heaven. There are no angels, and no pointy-tailed red guys with pitchforks.

However. There are souls, there is an afterlife, and there are most definitely spirits. Good ones, and nasty ones. So, the closest thing to a 'demon' you can have is a really bad, really powerful, probably pissed-off spirit. It might claim to be a demon, perhaps to add to the fear and so on. Likewise, there are powerful beings of good. They just happen to....not have a body anymore.

Yes, you could call these beings demons or angels because of the role they play and what they actually are, but do the stereotypes exist--the winged, fanged, flying shadow nasty guys? Absolutely not. IMHO, as always. ;)

Silver_dragon87 said:
Always with my two cents, so here goes. This, of course, is based on me being an atheist, so this is all in my humble opinion ;)

As you all know [that I think], God does NOT exist, and therefore neither does the Devil. There is no Hell, and no Heaven. There are no angels, and no pointy-tailed red guys with pitchforks.

However. There are souls, there is an afterlife, and there are most definitely spirits. Good ones, and nasty ones. So, the closest thing to a 'demon' you can have is a really bad, really powerful, probably pissed-off spirit. It might claim to be a demon, perhaps to add to the fear and so on. Likewise, there are powerful beings of good. They just happen to....not have a body anymore.

Yes, you could call these beings demons or angels because of the role they play and what they actually are, but do the stereotypes exist--the winged, fanged, flying shadow nasty guys? Absolutely not. IMHO, as always. ;)
What makes you think that God and the Devil don't exist.Along with Heaven and Hell.Next thing you know,a terrible natural catastrophe will happen and the only person that dies is you,and then when your almost in Heaven,a giant hand from Hell will grab you and you will spend an eternity in Hell ****ing Satan and getting pitchforks ramed up your ass and down your throat.L8r

Switchblade said:
What makes you think that God and the Devil don't exist.Along with Heaven and Hell.Next thing you know,a terrible natural catastrophe will happen and the only person that dies is you,and then when your almost in Heaven,a giant hand from Hell will grab you and you will spend an eternity in Hell ****ing Satan and getting pitchforks ramed up your ass and down your throat.L8r

Well not everyone believes in God and Satan. Not everyone is a Christian or any religion dealing with God. I don't believe in it either. Heck, Buddhists and Wiccans don't believe in it either. So you cannot just go around saying we are going to hell just because we do not follow a certain religion. That is the reason why so many people rag on Christians and such. because of people like you go around trying to scare people that they are going to hell if they do not believe in YOUR God. Well we are sorry but some of us have different ideologies and beliefs. Sorry that we like to be individuals. If you have a problem with that, too DAMN bad...if the truth hurts wear a friggin' band-aid.

Well that just proves that you don't read from the bible.Tell me then who was it that created us,I mean all of us people.Answer the damn question.Trust me your going to regret the day you said that you never believed in God,and that goes to all of you.
Outlaw2747 said:
Well not everyone believes in God and Satan. Not everyone is a Christian or any religion dealing with God. I don't believe in it either. Heck, Buddhists and Wiccans don't believe in it either. So you cannot just go around saying we are going to hell just because we do not follow a certain religion. That is the reason why so many people rag on Christians and such. because of people like you go around trying to scare people that they are going to hell if they do not believe in YOUR God. Well we are sorry but some of us have different ideologies and beliefs. Sorry that we like to be individuals. If you have a problem with that, too DAMN bad...if the truth hurts wear a friggin' band-aid.

Switchblade said:
Well that just proves that you don't read from the bible.Tell me then who was it that created us,I mean all of us people.Answer the damn question.Trust me your going to regret the day you said that you never believed in God,and that goes to all of you.

Did you read a damn thing I said? Even after I quoted it? How would you like it if I worshipped some superior God of some other religion and ran around saying your going to some eternal place to suffer for eternity if you don't beliveve in my deity? You would not like that would you? Now look at what the HELL you are doing. You are going around threatening people with your beliefs. Not all of us read the bible. Not all of us believe in God. Or heaven, hell, Satan, Adam, Eve, etc. GET OVER IT!!! This is America dammit and I am sick and tired of people like you who give religion a bad name by spewing your beliefs unjustly like propaganda! Freedom of religion ever heard of that? We can be buddhists, we can be wiccans, we can be atheists, we can be Hindu. Want to know why? because we have hat right to do so. We are not obligated to sit here and take "threats" from your religion. Do you see anyone else that believes in God here trying to scare and force people into believing in your God? NO! So kid, you might as well sit down and shut the **** up because it is stupid uneducated ****s like you that make this world an already unpleasant place to live in. I am sorry for having a mind of my own.

I am not going to belittle your religion but I WILL belittle YOU. You are no true follower of God. You are a representation of a person who does not have a mind of their own and an overwhelming amount of IGNORANCE and DISRESPECT. Keep your beliefs to yourself or at least display them in a non-abrasive way. You keep threatening someone that they are going to hell because they don't have YOUR mindset and you watch what happens. Someone is going to put you in your damn place, and trust me, you will WISH you was in hell.

As for the origin of human beings, I believe in evolution. We came from a common primate ancestor which has diverged into several species that roman the earth now. Do I have the proof? No I do not, but I do read about it. I didn't study or find the fossils. Do YOU have proof that God created us other than the Bible? I am betting no. You ALSO read about the origin of how we came here. So DEAL WITH IT. We are all not going to follow your belief kid. Grow up. The way you are going about it, people with a will of their own are only going to look down upon you.

Switchblade said:

Threats will do nothing to further your religion or anyone elses. Looks like you need to take a chill pill.

Outlaw2747 said:
How would you like it if I worshipped some superior God of some other religion and ran around saying your going to some eternal place to suffer for eternity if you don't beliveve in my deity? You would not like that would you?
Frankly Insect, I would be pretty pissed off if after all was said and done if you knew how to save me from an eternal place of suffering and you didn't ever at least discuss it with me and thuis I got to spend eternity in a horrible place while you got to spend it in paridise.

As for the post-
Yes, I do believe in Demons. I do believe that they can possess humans.

You can believe in a god/goddess and not believe in the Devil. Same goes for angels, demons, and everything else.
The devil, and demons, are creations of Christians. There are PLENTY of religions who believe in a god/goddess/higher being, but not demons or the devil or angel.
That isn't to say there can't be "bad" spirits, as there are bad people. I DO believe in ghosts/spirits, I do believe in a higher being, but not the devil. But I suppose that goes along with not being a Christian.
Well not everyone believes in God and Satan. Not everyone is a Christian or any religion dealing with God. I don't believe in it either. Heck, Buddhists and Wiccans don't believe in it either. So you cannot just go around saying we are going to hell just because we do not follow a certain religion. That is the reason why so many people rag on Christians and such. because of people like you go around trying to scare people that they are going to hell if they do not believe in YOUR God. Well we are sorry but some of us have different ideologies and beliefs
Absolutely correct. One of my MANY issues with the Christian Church is that they recruit using the scare tactic. NO other religion that I have ever dealt with does that. And the fact that they have been oppressing people since they started not Jesus himself but some of his followers Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to leave the Christian Church? I was raised Catholic, and have known for about 10 years that it wasn't for me, and I didn't believe it. But I haven't completely left and found a new faith (though I have one I am leaning towards) because a part of me is STILL scared. That fear is waning as time goes on and I learn things on my own, but I am convinced that that is the reason they have SOOOO many followers. Because people are too scared to question things, let alone leave.

LOL!!! Yea but seriously, at least you don't sit there and try to scare people and ram your beliefs down someone's throat! That is ignorant, inconsiderate, and totally disrespectful.

Back