religion...a waste?

kokorosenshi

Alright, ive been thinking for a while about this, and i know alot of you are going to hate me (some more than now)

should there be a reason to have a religion anymore, seems like a waste
a few months ago i was working with some people in new orleans (keep in mind that im atheist and all of them are either catholic or chirstians). this dude named jesus (spanish version) grabed a rat and threw it at me. i picked it up and say it lying in my hand slowly moving then died before i can give it something to drink. i felt wrong and decided to do the proper thing and baried it. some of the guys made fun of me for doing that.

later on at the end of the day, they caught another rat, they put it infront of me and said that there were going to smash (literaly smash) its head with a hammer. i stated to have past memories of my dog getting hit by a car in front of me at age 7 ( i think) and seeing his entire guts stretch and ripped across the rode...but thats another story

anyways, im the kind of guy that doesnt want to see another harmless or innocent life die for no reason, stupidity, or pure fun (ironic cuase im joining the army one way or another). so in order to stop them, i used there religion against them, and they let the rat go.

i just told them that if god created life, then would killing it disrespect him?

the felt pretty stupid, especially that guy named jesus cause hes a pretty pathetic lier and said that i killed the, then i made him feel stupid.

few months later, there was this dog chasing me on my bike in a playful manner. i was trying to return him to the owner but the owner was trying to get rid of him. the dog was 3 months old (hes 5 months october 2006).

i explained this to my parents and they wanted to dump him back on the streets (again, im atheist, there catholic). i said that i will take him to a pet adoption agency, then a friend told me that they kill them after a while, so i kept him.

anyways, most of my teenage life (im an adult now) im been off and on with religion and finally gave it up and became atheist will stay that way, till i see this god figure on a concious level. but most people that ive met are religious people who are just full of **** (excluding my friends), i mean, there are priest that do things against the "bible", god belivers that refuse to help other in need. most are guilty of the whole "7 sins" and others kill for pleasure, and the list goes on and on.

now im not saying that all are like that (even if it sounds like that), many give there time and help others, some join in the military

but there are so many out there that do the opposite of there religion and still think of themselves as saints becuase "someone" has forgiven them and expect the world to be just great. even this guy told me that a person can kill anyone they wish, but as long as "god" forgives him, he will go to heaven. then i asked him, " what if an innocent person that helps everyone dies before they had a chance to ask for forgiveness for their sins?"
he just said, "how do you know that they are innocent?" pretty stupid question.

point is, with all these hipocrit religious people running around and enjoying life as the true saints die/suffer/taken advantage of faster than a nerd masturbating on a saturday night.

is religion a waste?, or is there hope for things to get better while they get worse?

Depends on your defiition of "religion."

Religion as a set of rules that you have to follow, a human leader that guilts you into doing what he wants, and religion as an institution- Yes, it is a waste.

Religion as a relationship with the creator of the universe? No way, jose. not a waste.

What I find interesting is people who find the need to label themselves as either an Agnostic or Athiest or whatever else.

I have no such need.
Other then to avoid people like the plague who try to nail me down into a certain group.

GF Admin said:
You say you are an Atheist, and yet you have been taught compassion for all living things including a sewer rat. You sir are no Atheist you are suffering from a current deficit in faith, or perhaps not agreeing with the established guidelines vs personal actions associated with a particular religion and/or comparing peoples actions with their proclaimed faith. Maybe even setting your self on a soap box standing in judgment.

You obviously follow some kind of faith other then Atheism, You volunteered in New Orleans, saved a rat and apparently care about what happens to an abandoned mutt, Humans are not programmed from birth to care about such things they are taught it, from some sort of religious practice…whatever that religion may be.

In general I find the company of animal preferable to that of humans, you never have to guess about an animals intentions.

Religion and ethics are not essentially tied together. Although you can argue humans don't come pre-programmed for compassion and the like, there are most certainly other factors outside of the direct religious influence which shape a person's behaviour and desires.

One could certainly contest that it is infact this common programming of compassion based ethics which birthed religion and not the other way around. Atheism is simply the not believing in gods, not a lack of ethical structure. Secular philosophies such as naturelism or materialism are examples of what general labels exist to reference a number of non-religious types.

eisanbt said:
Religion and ethics are not essentially tied together. Although you can argue humans don't come pre-programmed for compassion and the like, there are most certainly other factors outside of the direct religious influence which shape a person's behaviour and desires.

One could certainly contest that it is infact this common programming of compassion based ethics which birthed religion and not the other way around. Atheism is simply the not believing in gods, not a lack of ethical structure. Secular philosophies such as naturelism or materialism are examples of what general labels exist to reference a number of non-religious types.

Good point. As early humans, I presume had compassion without religion. They saw death and grieved. Ancient religions were usually was biased on hell or damnation more than heaven. Trying to please the Gods in pagan ways. There have been more wars in the name of a God than any other reason. So it has it's dark side too.

I think relgion has evolved into what we have today.

Region tries to answer the questions that can never be confirmed and gives peace of mind. It gives us a moral fiber to hang on to. In our times relgion has transformed to the peaceful ones (well most of them). I think Nazz is saying that in our time without religion we would have chaos.

kokorosenshi, didn't ypu tell me back in New Orleans that if I see a rat, kill it? What made you change your mercenary mind so fast

Mebbe even i am an atheist...
i really dunno...
or mebbe call me "OMNIRELIGIOUS"....!!
i dun believe in one religion...
i wud rather respect all religion than even considering to dump one religion for the other...!!
all religions have due respect in my mind...
to that extent that i visit all religious places irrespective of caste or creed etc...!!!

nowadays religion has really taken a backseat(with due respects to the duly religious people around)...!!
there is so much going on around the world that today religion has in some cases become a cause to incite anger in its name....
i cite cases as the jihad, the ramrajya, the armageddon etc...!!!
there have been various instances where the world has become one tho help various individuals viz the asian tsunami, katrina, bhuj earthquake etc...!!

during all these times the world did not really consider any religion
it has the capacity to bear one and all....
so i wud rather agree that 2day religion has really become a namesake...!!!

I do believe that religion is a waste. i think that religion especially Christianity takes all the fun out of life. in order to be a "good" Christian, i cannot drink beer smoke, gossip, steal, lie, gamble or hustle.

drayzie said:
I do believe that religion is a waste. i think that religion especially Christianity takes all the fun out of life. in order to be a "good" Christian, i cannot drink beer smoke, gossip, steal, lie, gamble or hustle.

wow, sounds like i could be a good christian, yet i hate there guts. i dont think christians know what the hell there doing...most anyways

cool_dude said:
kokorosenshi, didn't ypu tell me back in New Orleans that if I see a rat, kill it? What made you change your mercenary mind so fast

i got rules for killing, what i meant, that if you see a rat, and it bit you, kill it. those guys i was talking about were doing it for fun. which i belive is a disrespect to life. if it bit you, its an attack, un leash all hell apon it. but really, most animals would run the **** away rather than attack.

as for the other guys that said some stuff about religions and the way that people act, understand that these guys were insulting me for being an atheist, saying that "god" will punish me and what not. yet i made them feel bad that a person that doesnt belive in "god" has better respect for life, than a person that does.

and for the curious, i was raised catholic, then somewhere along the line, i just stopped beliving in any religion.

**** I'm not gonna wait for it to bite me. If it doesn't run away I find it a threat and instead I'll kick it away is scaring it away won't work.

well, im crazy (explains so much huh?) so i'll try to pick it up and pet it. probably the most stupidest things a person can do, but seriously, people have done stupider things.

kokorosenshi said:
probably the most stupidest things a person can do, but seriously, people have done stupider things.

yeah, like write dribble like that...

kokorosenshi said:
well, im crazy (explains so much huh?) so i'll try to pick it up and pet it. probably the most stupidest things a person can do, but seriously, people have done stupider things.

Let me guess, kokothemonkey, English is like a hobby?

no, its a class, you'd know that if you went to high school, let me guess your hobby, masturbating on the computer all day and in your free time, your such a ****ing loser

kokorosenshi said:
no, its a class, you'd know that if you went to high school, let me guess your hobby, masturbating on the computer all day and in your free time, your such a ****ing loser

Fear is every man's portion. You? No less.

kokorosenshi said:
yeah, my mom doesnt give me 12 bucks to pay for a subscription like your does you 14 prebubecent moron. go get a job!

ok, but only because you said so.

and actually your mom gave me the 12 bucks for the subscription. so there.

dumbass...

Back