The bible... you know the real one... the original... bible...

Ctrl

Which is probably a word I don't know and do not have the characters on my keyboard to write in a language most of us wouldn't understand.

So... we have the folks who follow "the bible as the direct word of God", most of whom have never read the "original" hebrew, aramaic, sanscrit, or Greek texts.

Then we have the folks that claim to have read the "original" hebrew and Greek, but haven't bothered to look at the PUBLISHED dead sea scrolls or their photographs.

Then we have the ones that pick and choose what they believe. I will just ignore them for now. It takes too much time to deal with them.

So... what bible do YOU subscribe to.

Ctrl said:
So... we have the folks who follow "the bible as the direct word of God."

I definitely believe the Bible is the direct word of God although I feel humans have distorted it's message though scribal errors, translation errors, personal misinterpretation, and those who bend the passages to fit their own ideals.

Then we have the folks that claim to have read the "original" hebrew and Greek, but haven't bothered to look at the PUBLISHED dead sea scrolls or their photographs.

I really hope you are not referring to me.

Phantom said:
I was a Deist before I was a Christian. Seemed more logical than anything else at the time.
Then your one of them NEO-Christians.

Most people who practice deism follow Christian principles and guidelines, they just choose not to believe in the Dogma of God's alleged words or powers. Jesus however, is appreciated for the signifigant message he taught and not for being the alleged son of God.

I've been trying to get Mrs. Phreakwars, to if anything, be an openminded NEO-Christian .. closest thing to deism that anyone could ask of another, and is non judgemental for the most part.

Ctrl said:
So... we have the folks who follow "the bible as the direct word of God", most of whom have never read the "original" hebrew, aramaic, sanscrit, or Greek texts.

so you've read the "original" hebrew, aramaic, sanscrit, or Greek texts and know them to be false? or misinterpreted? or purposely changed?
Could be true that you have devoted your life to studying all aspects of the bible, but somehow I doubt it.

As for me, I don't just read the bible, I study it. Read different versions, differnt peoples thoughts and opinions of what I am reading and then create my own thoughts on it based on where God is leading me. I know I am not smart enough to know or even understand every part of bible, but I am secure enough in myself to be ok with that.

eddo said:
As for me, I don't just read the bible, I study it. Read different versions, differnt peoples thoughts and opinions of what I am reading and then create my own thoughts on it based on where God is leading me. I know I am not smart enough to know or even understand every part of bible, but I am secure enough in myself to be ok with that.

The Stephen Hawkings' audio narration of the Bible is ****ing funny.

eddo said:
so you've read the "original" hebrew, aramaic, sanscrit, or Greek texts and know them to be false? or misinterpreted? or purposely changed?
Could be true that you have devoted your life to studying all aspects of the bible, but somehow I doubt it.

The fact that they conflict with eachother on given interpretations demonstrates that something has been misinterpreted. I don't even have to have read them to understand that. The schollars who have been debating the interpretation of the dead sea scrolls since the 50s and waged lawsuits over publication certainly imply something is amis. I have not devoted my life to it, but those that have just can't seem to find any agreement. I let their findings speak for themselves.

To sate your probing curiosity, I have read from lots of different bibles, but only the KJV and the new international bible cover to cover, as well as one iteration of the qu'raan... I do not remember which one.

eddo said:

So you accept that there are different versions that say different things? Why the hell did I just have to explain that to you then? What about the 13 some odd missing books? Any thoughts on those?

Phantom said:

Of course it is referring to you. Honestly, if implying that a complete stranger might exaggerate over the internet offends you, I don't know how the hell you have managed to keep reading this board. Do not presume that I believe a ****ing word you say because we are civil towards eachother. I believe you know some yiddish and some Greek, but to be an expert in Koloic Greek and ancient Hebrew is a bit of a stretch... and your interest in these languages for the sole purpose of interpreting the "original" bible has not lead you to read the dead sea scrolls which are freely available through the library of congress not to mention several other sources strikes my rather naive rationalle as SOMEWHAT ****ING DISINGENUOUS. Don't take it personally, just because I dont just digest and blindly accept what some digital spectre says. I hail from the land of Texas tales, but I spent some time in the show me state.

Ctrl said:
Of course it is referring to you. Honestly, if implying that a complete stranger might exaggerate over the internet offends you, I don't know how the hell you have managed to keep reading this board. Do not presume that I believe a ****ing word you say because we are civil towards eachother. I believe you know some yiddish and some Greek, but to be an expert in Koloic Greek and ancient Hebrew is a bit of a stretch...

Um... wait a second. I never claimed to know Hebrew or Greek or to be an expert in either language. In fact, I have been very honest is saying I use the assistance of Hebrew and Greek lexicons when studying the Bible because I am NOT fluent in either language. Seriously, even the very first sentence on my website I referred you to stated I used lexicons when doing the research. Either you misunderstood what I said when I told you I like to refer to the original languages or you are purposely trying to bait me into something.

...and your interest in these languages for the sole purpose of interpreting the "original" bible has not lead you to read the dead sea scrolls which are freely available through the library of congress not to mention several other sources
Available through the library of congress? Try Barnes and ****ing Nobles, you idiot. They carry several books of the translated dead sea scrolls with half of the pages in Hebrew and the other half in English. Geeze, a lot of them are even available online. To claim I have never bothered to look into the dead sea scrolls is presumptuous on your part. You never asked me if I had- you just started blathering about the "fact" I never have. ****, I think I own three apologetics resources which go into the DSC translations so know your facts before you start to sling ****, My Dear.

Phantom said:
Um... wait a second. I never claimed to know Hebrew or Greek or to be an expert in either language. In fact, I have been very honest is saying I use the assistance of Hebrew and Greek lexicons when studying the Bible because I am NOT fluent in either language.

It is in the shoutbox. There is no mention of lexicons. I never read your website.

Phantom said:
Available through the library of congress? Try Barnes and ****ing Nobles, you idiot. They carry several books of the translated dead sea scrolls with half of the pages in Hebrew and the other half in English. Geeze, a lot of them are even available online. To claim I have never bothered to look into the dead sea scrolls is presumptuous on your part. You never asked me if I had- you just started blathering about the "fact" I never have. ****, I think I own three apologetics resources which go into the DSC translations so know your facts before you start to sling ****, My Dear.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/scrolls/

I also specifically asked you if you had... you said that from your research, pretty much everybody was in agreement. I can't find anyone who agrees... I took that to mean you hadn't researched... logic and stuff.

There are a number of books on the subject as well... I mentioned that there were other sources didn't I? re-reads yes... yes I thought I did.

Ctrl said:
It is in the shoutbox.

These are my two shout box statements you quoted:

But yes, I was arguing semantics but I studied hebrew and greek so it is a little easier on me to really pore over the words to see what they really say

and...

if you read the KJV, for insantance, the laws are totally different when you read them in the original Hebrew. Like in english it says not to eat the hare because it chews the cut (which is scientifically wrong) but the hebrew literally says "alla gerar" which means "to move digested material by refection" which is exactly what hares do

I'm not sure about you but nothing in those two statements would make me believe the person who typed them is claiming to be fluent in Hebrew or Greek. "Studying" something is a lot different then being an expert. I have also "studied" auto-mechanics, holistic medicine, and bio-chemistry. Am I am expert in any of those fields? Nope!

There is no mention of lexicons. I never read your website.

Well, in the very first sentence on the page I referred you to, it reads:

Most Bible contradictions may be dismissed as translation errors as we will prove throughout this article with the assistance of lexicons.

If I was lying in the shout box, it would be REALLY stupid of me to provide you with a link to something I said that totally counters the claims I just made. Logic.

I also specifically asked you if you had... you said that from your research, pretty much everybody was in agreement. I can't find anyone who agrees... I took that to mean you hadn't researched... logic and stuff.

God heavens, child. You are twisting my words... AGAIN. You asked me about the discrepancies of the DSC vs. more recent texts. You never asked me if I read them and I never denied having done so. You asked me my opinion on the discrepancies. Big difference.

Click shoutbox... who'ld a thunk.

"Yesterday 06:24 PM
Phantom
But yes, I was arguing semantics but I studied hebrew and greek so it is a little easier on me to really pore over the words to see what they really say

Yesterday 06:24 PM
Phantom
A lot of stuff comes across wrong in english

Yesterday 06:26 PM
Phantom
if you read the KJV, for insantance, the laws are totally different when you read them in the original Hebrew. Like in english it says not to eat the hare because it chews the cut (which is scientifically wrong) but the hebrew literally says "alla gerar" which means "to move digested material by refection" which is exactly what hares do "

That is each of your comments, that I was referring to, in order, without edit. Currently in the early 20's in the shoutbox.

Sounded to me like you claimed you knew the Greek and Hebrew well enough to more accurately interpret it THAN THE ACCEPTED SCRIBES OF THE MOST COMMON BOOK ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

Sorry if I jumped to conclusions...

Well... looks like we were double posting. You were attempting to head off the flood before it hit I see.

You threw up a link SOMEWHERE in a conversation that you expected me to read and digest DURING the conversation that the part of this website where the mention of "lexicons" somewhere on the page should be interpreted to mean that all of the crap you are saying is NOT a result of your "studying" greek and hebrew...

Ok I see how obviously I jumped to conclusions and you were not presuming authority on the subject. Yeah. My bad.

Ctrl said:
Click shoutbox... who'ld a thunk.

Don't feel bad about it. A lot of us just recently learned that trick. Glad I could be of assistance. lol

how is it easier to REALLY PORE over the words...

The above was something you asked me in the SB but it is easier to explain here. I am not sure if you are familiar with how to use a lexicon (not being condescending- just not sure) but with a lexicon, you have to look up each individual word at a time to understand the original meaning. That is what I meant by "pore over" the text... one word at a time. I (wrongfully) assumed you looked at the link I sent so that was my mistake for not clarifying.

Sounded to me like you claimed you knew the Greek and Hebrew well enough to more accurately interpret it THAN THE ACCEPTED SCRIBES OF THE MOST COMMON BOOK ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

Sorry if I jumped to conclusions...

For some reason, I don't see where you are drawing your conclusions. This looks like a good case of "She said, he heard." Again, I am trying to see your point and am reading between the lines from your perspective but I just can't see where you think I claimed to be an expert. Also, I never said I was more knowledgeable about the Bible than the scribes- I was referring to the stereotypical skeptics who point out Biblical contradictions in the English translation without even bothering to understand the original context. It was not my intention to come off as a know-it-all. Most liars/exaggerators feel the need to keep up their ruse. However, the second you asked me about it, I apologized, explained my orginal intent, and told you I was not an expert.

You threw up a link SOMEWHERE in a conversation that you expected me to read and digest DURING the conversation that the part of this website where the mention of "lexicons" somewhere on the page should be interpreted to mean that all of the crap you are saying is NOT a result of your "studying" greek and hebrew...

I'm beginning to think maybe our definitions are different. Yes, I studied them back in my early twenties. Yes, I also use lexicons to dissect individual passages to discover the original intent. I am not sure what you are asking/stating/insinuating.

On an end note, instead of insinuating things in the shout box, please take advantage of this post to point out any alleged inconsistencies you feel you noticed in the comments I have made on GF. I am what I am and have never claimed to be anything else. Instead of throwing low punches about "crippling illnesses" (which I obviously should never have told you about), speak your mind and I will happily have a mature discussion with you. I'm a big girl.

Phantom said:
I definitely believe the Bible is the direct word of God although I feel humans have distorted it's message though scribal errors, translation errors, personal misinterpretation, and those who bend the passages to fit their own ideals.

That's not a feeling, that's a fact. Try picking up a book once in a while about the subject you're attempting to debate about, then maybe your "feelings" will count.

jokersarewild said:
That's not a feeling, that's a fact. Try picking up a book once in a while about the subject you're attempting to debate about, then maybe your "feelings" will count.

Yes, I too believe it is a "fact" but was trying to not sound so accusatory lol.

What a waste of time on my part in regards to arguing with you. I just saw 2-3 comments from you saying you were purposely trying to pick fights with me.

Here is a tip for you, Ctrl: If you are trying to assert your prowress around the board, you might want to go after bigger game than me. I'm nothing more than an overly opinionated newbie with nothing to prove. Everyone here has already handed my ass to me in one thread or another. If you are trying to become a big dog on GF, go after another big dog. "Owning" me won't earn you any respect from the members as everyone has already "owned" me.

Back