Will you be voting?

builder

Voting is compulsory in Australia, though I did protest a gerrymander back in the bad old days, and my fine was forgiven and I was struck off the electoral roll.

I just read this article, and I can understand why lots of Americans think voting is a waste of ****ing time.

Will you vote in this crucial election?

Throughout the lineage of my forebears, someone has voted against the opium ordinance here in Brambleburg. Somehow the Celestials get caught with it, it becomes front page headlines on our local commie rag, and us good citizens have to suffer without chink-**** handjobs.

Whether it is for local, statewide, or national; my vote will be cast. Though it may not amount to a hill of beans, but this hill is supposed to be ours and the beans are ours as well.

What happened is the Democrats dummied there voters down so badly that they could not use paper ballots. This resulted in a bunch of dumb****s voting for Pat Buchanan when their intention was to cast a vote for Al (The Frenck Kisser) Gore thus giving the 2000 Presidential election to G.Who's Your Daddy Bush. So now we got electronic voting.

hugo said:
Stoopid Democrats. No wonder they don't like literacy tests as a voting requirement.

Bloody hell Hugo, you're not in the alt. forums now.

Do you have a point to discuss? Or is it back to the jungle for some pointers, teach? ;)

Interesting opinion Hugo of Democrats, studies show that the most wealthy and educated and the lowest classes vote Democrat and the middle class vote Republican. For many that vote Republican, they do so mistakenly believing that the tax breaks favored by the Republicans will help them when in fact they don't have enough money for it too make a difference. Source you ask??? My Policitcal Science text book so far, I'm about to write a paper that will touch on this so I will have to search out more sources.

I am 18 but I wont get to vote... (sad) The Marine Core still has all my papers to process and I may not get them till after the last time to registor. However I wasn't gonna vote anyway because I still want time to figure out all the politics. I'm pretty young, there fore pretty stupid still.

Builder said:
Voting is compulsory in Australia, though I did protest a gerrymander back in the bad old days, and my fine was forgiven and I was struck off the electoral roll.

As an australian, I hate voting because it all comes back to a two party preference and i don't really much like either. I tend then not to pay the accumulating fines - as a protest.

This year, i miss the state elections in victoria in november ligitimately, as I will be in India and no where near the aussie embassy. But still i will let the fine arrive and leave it unpaid along with the others in my collection.

Sappho2007 said:
As an australian, I hate voting because it all comes back to a two party preference and i don't really much like either. I tend then not to pay the accumulating fines - as a protest.

This year, i miss the state elections in victoria in november ligitimately, as I will be in India and no where near the aussie embassy. But still i will let the fine arrive and leave it unpaid along with the others in my collection.

Hmmm, frame them as keepsakes to your nonparticipatory role, Sappho.

During the gerrymander phase of Queensland politics, I was the vociferous nonparticipator.

What do you think now? Still not worthy of a vote?

hugo said:
Stoopid Democrats. No wonder they don't like literacy tests as a voting requirement.
There is also a reason they don't want voters to have to show a valid ID...

Lethalfind said:
Interesting opinion Hugo of Democrats, studies show that the most wealthy and educated and the lowest classes vote Democrat and the middle class vote Republican. For many that vote Republican, they do so mistakenly believing that the tax breaks favored by the Republicans will help them when in fact they don't have enough money for it too make a difference. Source you ask??? My Policitcal Science text book so far, I'm about to write a paper that will touch on this so I will have to search out more sources.
You're going to have a hard time finding them. Studies actually show that the more education a person has, the more likely they are to be Republican. You are also not taking into account the Labor Union middle class, who are predominately Democrat. Here, this will get you started…
2000 American National Election Study: Source, Government by the People, 2002, pg.126.

Portrait of the electorate:
Income_____________Rep________Dem________Ind

Less than 10,000_____34__________54_________12
10,000-19,999_______29__________62__________9
20,000-29,999_______35__________53_________12
30,000-39,999_______32__________54_________14
40,000-59,999_______37__________53_________10
60,000+____________48__________42 _________10

They also have the stats for sex, age, race, religion, and region if anyone is interested.
My sociology teacher for statistics used real studies for us to analyze. Analysis showed a significant difference in the education levels of those who voted Republican as opposed to Democrat or Independent. There was no significant differences between the education levels of those who voted Democrat and those who voted Independent. The education levels of those who voted Republican were significantly higher than the other two.
What is the name, copyright date, editor, and page number of this book you are using?

ToriAllen said:
There is also a reason they don't want voters to have to show a valid ID...

You're going to have a hard time finding them. Studies actually show that the more education a person has, the more likely they are to be Republican. You are also not taking into account the Labor Union middle class, who are predominately Democrat. Here, this will get you started…
2000 American National Election Study: Source, Government by the People, 2002, pg.126.

Portrait of the electorate:
Income_____________Rep________Dem________Ind

Less than 10,000_____34__________54_________12
10,000-19,999_______29__________62__________9
20,000-29,999_______35__________53_________12
30,000-39,999_______32__________54_________14
40,000-59,999_______37__________53_________10
60,000+____________48__________42 _________10

They also have the stats for sex, age, race, religion, and region if anyone is interested.
My sociology teacher for statistics used real studies for us to analyze. Analysis showed a significant difference in the education levels of those who voted Republican as opposed to Democrat or Independent. There was no significant differences between the education levels of those who voted Democrat and those who voted Independent. The education levels of those who voted Republican were significantly higher than the other two.
What is the name, copyright date, editor, and page number of this book you are using?

We The People...an Introduction to American Politicis, copyright 2005
Editor: Stephen Dunn
Editorial assistant: Kelly Rolf
I don't know the page number...you can trot down to the library and find that for yourself.

You know what I find interesting is when people walk the line, 'believing' in EVERYTHING the party they follow believes in, unable to think for themselves. Its also pretty funny when people adopt their beliefs from their family, unable to think for themselves, they take on their parents beliefs.
It would be interesting if people like you Tori would open your eyes and see that the Republicans and their belief systems walk right over people in your position in life.

builder said:
Hmmm, frame them as keepsakes to your nonparticipatory role, Sappho.

During the gerrymander phase of Queensland politics, I was the vociferous nonparticipator.

What do you think now? Still not worthy of a vote?

Where it is that I only have a real chance of seeing one of two parties with similar policies, the choice becomes a personality contest not unlike what's going on in this debate site with their presidential thingy going on.

That's not what voting is all about.

In Victoria I have a choice of the Liberals lead by rich boy born with a golden spoon encrusted with diamonds, or Labour lead by the son of immigrants done good. Both have egos bigger than their commitment to social harmony and good govt.

So what's the point of voting?

I did not know you HAD to vote in Austrailia AND you could be fined if you didn't. Builder, are you saying you can never vote again?

Here in the US the bleeding heart Liberals want to make sure that even Felons once they have gotten out of jail retain their right too vote...even though traditionally having been convicted of a felony they give up certain rights even once they are out of prison.

Back