GREAT recipes

skategreen

This thread is for those members who enjoy cooking as well as eating.

Tonight I went to an Indian restaurant in Manhattan called, "Baluchi's". I am now going to dedicate my life to finding and perfecting recipes for Chicken Tikki Masala and Chicken Korma.

Oh Lord. These dishes were straight from Heaven. Golden Golden OH so valuable leftovers reside in my fridge.

I shall learn to make them.
I shall freeze them in great batches
and I shall partake
on Whim!

Anyone here have a tried and true recipe for either? I'm googling and will experiment soon.

I will post them once I get it right.

In the meantime.... anyone have favorite recipes they want to share? Anyone on the hunt for a Great Recipe?

Few recipes from my Lebanese culture (my dad is lebanese):

Lebanese Tabbouleh

Ingredients

1/2 c Fine grain cracked wheat
- (bulgur)
1/2 c Finely chopped onion
1/2 ts Allspice
1/2 ts Pepper
1 ts Salt; or to taste
3 c Finely chopped parsley
1/2 c Finely chopped scallions
2 c Finely chopped ripe tomatoes
- (if not ripe, omit)
1 1/2 c Fresh spearmint leaves
- (finely chopped)
-(if necessary, substitute
- another mint)
1/2 c Fresh lemon juice
3/4 c Olive oil

1. RINSE THE CRACKED WHEAT several times then cover with water by 1/2-inch and let soak for 20 minutes, then drain well, squeezing out excess water. Combine minced onion with the allspice, pepper and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the parsley, scallions, tomatoes and mint. Gently fold in the drained wheat and refrigerate until an hour before serving. Just before serving, stir in the seasoned onion and dress with lemon juice and oil to taste.

--------------------
Shawarma - (Chicken)

1/2 cup malt vinegar
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs

1/2 cup tahini
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste

4 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 cup sliced onion
4 cups shredded lettuce
8 pita bread rounds

In a glass baking dish, mix together the malt vinegar, 1/4 cup yogurt, vegetable oil, mixed spice, cardamom, salt and pepper. Place the chicken thighs into the mixture and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a small bowl, mix together the tahini, 1/4 cup yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, taste, and adjust flavors if desired. Cover and refrigerate.
Cover the chicken and bake in the marinade for 30 minutes, turning once. Uncover, and cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is browned and cooked through. Remove from the dish, and cut into slices.
Place sliced chicken, tomato, onion, and lettuce onto pita breads. Roll up, and top with the tahini sauce.

-------------------------------
Lebanese Baklava

Ingredients:
1 lb. raw chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 box Phyllo Dough
1 1/2 cup clarified unsalted butter

Filling:
In a food processor, chop walnuts until fine but not a paste. Remove and mix in sugar and cinnamon. Put in tightly covered container and keep in fridge.

Clarifying butter:
Melt 3.5 cups butter (about 7 sticks) and let cool off until it's warm. As the butter melts, it will separate into 3 layers. The top layer is a thin layer of foam, the middle layer contains the bulk of the liquid. Skim off the top layer of white foam and discard.

Instructions:
Brush butter onto a baking tray until it is completely covered. Remove phyllo from box and spread onto clean surface. Put less than half of th layers in the pan and cover the rest with plastic wrap or a towel. Evenly spread the Walnut filling on the phyllo sheets. Then take the rest of the phyllo and cover the Walnut layer. Cut into squares and cut a diagnol slit in each square. Pour the remaining butter over the Phyllo dough evenly, making sure all the crevices are filled. Bake at 350 degrees about 35 minutes or until it turns a golden blond color. Cool and drizzle generously with syrup. Garnish with chopped pistachio and serve.

Lebanese Baklava Syrup:
(may be prepared the day before)
Ingredients:
2 cups water
3 cups sugar
2 tbs. lemon juice
2 tbs. orange blossom water

Instructions:
Stir sugar into the water over med-high heat until completely dissolved. Add lemon juice and stir it into the mix. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until syrup thickens. Remove from heat and cool. When it is at room temperature, stir in orange blossom water. Put in clean jar, cover tightly and keep in fridge.

------------------
Baba Ganoush

2 small eggplants
1 clover garlic, crushed
4 tbsps tahini
1/4 cup ground almonds
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp ground cumin
salt & freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
2 tbsps olive oil

Place eggplants under hot broiler, turning frequently, until black and blistered. Remove the skins, chop the flesh roughly and leave to drain in a colander for 10 minutes. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible and place the flesh in a food processor. Add remaining ingredients and process to a smooth paste. Press into a loaf pan and refrigerate until slightly firm.

----------------------

I usually have these at my dad's restaurant when I am around. I highly recommend the Tabbouleh and the Shawarma.

To start the sharing, here is my recipe for Chili. It's very detailed due to the fact that I typed it out for my sister. ... yeah, the one who was so surprised and couldn't understand how our husbands, hers on the West Coast and mine on the East coast, were watching the same baseball game at the same time.

Skate's Great 2 Day Chili

1/2 bag of dried kidney beans
1/2 bag of dried pinto beans

wash beans and check for bad beans or dirt chunks. Place in large bowl, fill with water so that water is a couple inches above bean level. Soak the beans from morning until night. Discard bean juice, place beans in crock pot, and add water to two inches or so above the beans. Supposedly, soaking the beans helps to cut the gas factor. Also, throwing out the first water supposed to be vital to cutting the gas factor.

Slow cook the beans all night WITH THE LID ON.

In the morning (this IS a day off, right?)

Take out most of the bean water. Set it aside, to add later if you need it.

Cook up 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef, add to beans.

Add:
1/2 of a red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 yellow bell pepper
1/2 orange bell pepper
A large onion or a couple medium ones
2-6 garlic cloves.
1 Large can of tomatoes - drain the juice into the beans, then chop the tomatoes and add to beans
1 small (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
one or two fresh tomatoes, chopped

Chicken breast: I buy them individually frozen in large bags from Costco. They come split, so I guess each breast is actually one breast, as opposed to how they come 2 stuck together. I thaw 3, 4 if I'm in the mood. Chop the breast up and then do a quick fry in a little olive oil. Add to beans.

optional: chopped celery, 1/3 bag of frozen corn

Spices:
salt & fresh ground pepper
add a few shakes of onion powder (not onion salt) - or add a bit more than that
add a couple shakes of garlic powder
a shake or two of cumin (go easy to start) .. then maybe a bit more

optional:
shake or two of parsley, dried cilantro

Hot spice to taste:
at LEAST 3-6 tablespoons of chili powder. I just keep dumping it in to taste.
a shake of cayannne pepper (VERY hot)
a shake or two of tabasco (HOT!)
maybe a shake of those little red pepper flakes
I also add a special chili powder I can only get in LA- Pasilla Chili Powder.

Now slow cook this all day. You can turn it on high to get it going, but don't forget to turn it down. I cook it for part of the time with the lid on, then for several hours with the lid off. The peppers have a lot of water content, the chili gets too thin for a while once these cook up. Then if you keep cooking with the lid off, it dries up a bit and becomes perfect chili.

If you taste it and it's bland, add more spice - more of any or all of the above.

Oh..and just today I added 1/2 of a yellow squash and a 1/2 a small zucchini. I'll let you know how that goes. The chili disguises just about anything. You might get away with throwing in an old tire.

If it doesn't fit in the crock pot (mine never did until I bought a 4 QT. pot) ... get it all mixed up and crock half of it today and then at night, switch it out and just cook the other half on low that night.

Best served rolled up in dry-fried flour tortillas with cheese, sour cream, green onions, tomatoes, lettuce, and Guacamole - (if ya got good Avacados.)

I AM AN IDIOT. THIS IS NOT A SERIOUS POST. YOU SHOULD PUT ME ON YOUR IGNORE LIST!

Ingredients

When I was in England I had Chicken Tikki Masalla, it was very popular there.
I have been cooking alot of Italian recently.
Tonight we had deep fried ravioli with maranara as a dipping sauce
then we had Fettucine Alfredo with Broccoli and flounder lightly dredged in flour and fried. It was very good but a little filling as pasta normally is.

I have been watching Everyday Italian on the food network and I LOVE Giada's style. I have ordered her book as well as retrieving some of her recipes from the food network site. I am going to make Diane and I some quiche, I have some small quiche pans so I can make Diane's the way she wants it, I like nasty things like Mushrooms, onions and asparagus that I will be putting in mine.

For you Lethal!

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1] For more than twenty years, women have gone to Scalini's Italian restaurant in Cobb County, Georgia, with one thing on their minds: To go into labor. They always order the Eggplant Parmesan, which, so far, has helped encourage more than 300 babies to come into the world within 48 hours of their mom eating the meal. [/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]The restaurant promises results within two days. If you haven't had your baby by then, expectant moms get a gift certificate for another try. [/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]The chefs at Scalini's shared their recipe with us. If it doesn't work, sorry, there's no gift certificate -- but you can use the recipe again, absolutely free of charge. (For best results, don't try it until your due date.) [/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Eggplant Parmesan alla Scalini's Ingredients:
3 medium size eggplants
1 cup of flour
6 eggs, beaten
4 cups fine Italian bread crumbs, seasoned
Olive oil for saut

Lethalfind said:
When I was in England I had Chicken Tikki Masalla, it was very popular there.
I have been cooking alot of Italian recently.
Tonight we had deep fried ravioli with maranara as a dipping sauce
then we had Fettucine Alfredo with Broccoli and flounder lightly dredged in flour and fried. It was very good but a little filling as pasta normally is.

I have been watching Everyday Italian on the food network and I LOVE Giada's style. I have ordered her book as well as retrieving some of her recipes from the food network site. I am going to make Diane and I some quiche, I have some small quiche pans so I can make Diane's the way she wants it, I like nasty things like Mushrooms, onions and asparagus that I will be putting in mine.

Haha wow, I love Mushrooms, Onions, and Asparagus!! NOT NASTY!

Hamza123 said:
Haha wow, I love Mushrooms, Onions, and Asparagus!! NOT NASTY!

My daughter hates them, I'm thinking a quiche with these items and some nice fontina cheese will be dreamy...

For my daughter, I will make hers with cheese, bacon finely chopped and broccoli finely chopped...she will love it.

Try this for dessert...
Recipe by Giada De Laurentiis

Chocolate Hazelnut Tart

4-6 servings

1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
3 eggs beaten
1 1/2 peeled chopped (she chopped them in a food processor but not to the point of being like flour, coarse) and toasted hazelnuts (I'm thinking of trying it with pecans instead, I don't care so much for hazelnuts)
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips (aobut 1 cup)
1 cup corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 store bought frozen pie crust, defrosted

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F

In large bowl, mix together the sugar and flour. Add the eggs, hazelnuts, chocolate chips, corn syrup, butter, vanilla and salt. Stir well. Pour the mixture into the pie crust, Bake for 1 hour.

When she sliced this baby up, it looked like the most heavenly brownie you have EVER seen but with loads of nuts. She cut hers into squares rather then like a pie wedge.

I haven't made it yet but I plan on it in the next week.

Phreak's Burritos :

• [ ]2 lbs Pork chops cut into stir fry strips (Kosher Steak if your Hamza :D )
    [ ]1 can of Old El Paso

If you can find a show on the TV called 'Delhi Belly' starring Reza Mahammed....then you've found the right place to go for the most wonderful Indian recipes. As for the two recipes you like...I'll ask my friend Iffet at work tomorrow, she is Indian and her food is to die for....

Feckless Wench said:
If you can find a show on the TV called 'Delhi Belly' starring Reza Mahammed....then you've found the right place to go for the most wonderful Indian recipes. As for the two recipes you like...I'll ask my friend Iffet at work tomorrow, she is Indian and her food is to die for....

I love you already.

I ****ing love shawarma with tabouleh on it. Shookran.

French Canadian Poutine

French fries
cheese curds
poutine gravy

Place a layer of fries on a plate or preferably some sort of bowl-ish container.
Add a layer of cheese curds on top of the fries.
Add another layer of fries on top of that.
Then, you guessed it, another layer of cheese curds.
Make the gravy pipin' hot then pour liberally over the curds.

You can feel your arteries clogging while you're eating it.

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can of wholeberry cranberry
1 pack of lipton onion soup mix
3/4 cup of honey catalina salad dressing

mix together and bake @ 350 till done

i do not like cranberries but this is delicious.

boneless skinless breasts
tostitos hint o lime tortillas
1 tble coriander
1/2 tsp cumin

crush chips and add spices
bread breasts with the chips
cook breasts in baking dish till done
remove from oven and top with salsa cheddar and jack cheese. put them back in oven to melt cheese. served with sour cream. goes best with steamed green beans and orzo.

cook orzo al dente'
drain and add sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and extra virgin olive oil.

mexican cheese dip exactly like in the restaurants.
white american cheese
jalepeno's to your taste
milk
put cheese and japs in a ramekin and nuke till stating to melt. stir, add a little milk and repeat till completely melted. add milk to get the creamy consistency. sevrve with corn tortillas.
if cooking your own tortillas fry them at low to med. heat.

Gallytuck said:
I ****ing love shawarma with tabouleh on it. Shookran.

French Canadian Poutine

French fries
cheese curds
poutine gravy

Place a layer of fries on a plate or preferably some sort of bowl-ish container.
Add a layer of cheese curds on top of the fries.
Add another layer of fries on top of that.
Then, you guessed it, another layer of cheese curds.
Make the gravy pipin' hot then pour liberally over the curds.

You can feel your arteries clogging while you're eating it.

I love poutine. I have this place just 'round the corner that makes THE best poutine in the WORLD!!!! And it sells Irn Bru :D

outback steakhouses alice springs chicken

4 boneless skinless breasts
2 cups mushrooms ( i use criminis for more flavor)
S&P
paprika
8 pieces of bacon cooked till crispy
2 cups cheddar and jack cheese

honey mustard
1/2 cup grey poupon dijon mustard
1/2 cup honey
tsp. veg. oil 1 tsp lemon juice

make the honey mustard and use some of it to marinate chicken for 2-3 hours
cook the breast in a pan until done
while chicks are cooking saute' criminis in olive oil with pepper till done
add paprika and S&P
put breasts in a baking dish and top with bacon shrooms and cheese
bake till cheese is melted.

outbacks bread

1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tble. softened butter
1/2 cup honey
2 cups of bread flour
1 2/3 cups wheat flour
1 tble. cocoa
1 tble sugar
2 tsp. inst, coffee
1 tsp. salt
1 pack of yeast.

add ingredients in that order to a bread machine.
let it knead and rise in the machine.
after it has risen cut into 8 portions and let them rise in a warm place for another hour.
sprikle loaves with corn meal and bake @350 for 20-25 mins.

smutt butt said:
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can of wholeberry cranberry
1 pack of lipton onion soup mix
3/4 cup of honey catalina salad dressing

mix together and bake @ 350 till done

i do not like cranberries but this is delicious.

boneless skinless breasts
tostitos hint o lime tortillas
1 tble coriander
1/2 tsp cumin

crush chips and add spices
bread breasts with the chips
cook breasts in baking dish till done
remove from oven and top with salsa cheddar and jack cheese. put them back in oven to melt cheese. served with sour cream. goes best with steamed green beans and orzo.

cook orzo al dente'
drain and add sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and extra virgin olive oil.

mexican cheese dip exactly like in the restaurants.
white american cheese
jalepeno's to your taste
milk
put cheese and japs in a ramekin and nuke till stating to melt. stir, add a little milk and repeat till completely melted. add milk to get the creamy consistency. sevrve with corn tortillas.
if cooking your own tortillas fry them at low to med. heat.

OH MY GOD, a man who knows what a ramekin is, I think my nipples are hard !!!