Al Gore's Tennessee Home Wasting Electricity

ImWithStupid said:
I'm sorry you aren't able to use the internet effectivly, and this is just a handfull of the hundreds out there trying to block any effort to advance the US energy battle, but I can't hold your hand all your life and you really should learn to use the resource known as a "search engine", and as you will find, many articles only cite the opposition as an "environmental group" but if you do some research or personal education, you can find the names of these organiztions.

The thing is, I took your advice - I visited 'Goggle' and looked up 'environmental lobyists' but gosh golly gee, I couldn't find anything!!

I also don't know what the words 'effectivly' and 'organiztions' mean.

lol

In future, before you try to belittle someone's intelligence, you might want to make sure you have a grasp of basic spelling. Just a suggestion :)

Also, I couldn't help but notice that whenever you ask me to simply validate my opinions I'm happy to comply, but if I ask you for the same courtesy you get angry and resort to personal attacks, jumping to conclusions, making biased assumptions, etc.

This is behaviour eerily reminiscent of Timesjoke, someone you had a big problem with, as I recall.

If you can't handle being asked to validate your opinion, you probably shouldn't be participating on debate forums in the first place.

Anna Perenna said:
The thing is, I took your advice - I visited 'Goggle' and looked up 'environmental lobyists' but gosh golly gee, I couldn't find anything!!

Really? I did. Also if you really research and look at key words like, new hydroelectric dam, new nuclear powerplant, new windfarm, etc... You will find article after article about efforts blocked by "envoronmental group" but the group is unnamed in the article.

Anna Perenna said:
I also don't know what the words 'effectivly' and 'organiztions' mean.

lol

In future, before you try to belittle someone's intelligence, you might want to make sure you have a grasp of basic spelling. Just a suggestion :)

Ir you resort to slamming someones spelling or grammer to make your point, you only show your own shortcomings or futility and is pretty much completely, "Busch League".

Busch League

1. An adjective referring to anything sub-par, or of a lesser or lower grade.

2. An adjective meaning bull or bunk.

The term is derived from Nascar's joke of an undercard, the Busch League of racing. Not only is the league of a lesser grade than Nascar, the whole idea of racing as a sport is bunk.
Jon: What's up baby girl? You tryin' to bone.
Jane: Please, homeboy. Your game is Busch League.

Anna Perenna said:
Also, I couldn't help but notice that whenever you ask me to simply validate my opinions I'm happy to comply, but if I ask you for the same courtesy you get angry and resort to personal attacks, jumping to conclusions, making biased assumptions, etc.

This is behaviour eerily reminiscent of Timesjoke, someone you had a big problem with, as I recall.

If you can't handle being asked to validate your opinion, you probably shouldn't be participating on debate forums in the first place.

Next, I gave you several examples of environmental groups

http://Off Topic Forum.com/on-topic...see-home-wasting-electricity-6.html#post61228

Not sure what I can do to make it easier for you.

As for the TJ thing that's about as relevant an arguement as those who say Obama is a Muslim.

Anna Perenna said:

The point is, you're a hypocrite. You fail at debating intelligently, constructively or diplomatically.

Herewith the end of all attempts to engage in discussion with you.

Anna Perenna said:
The point is, you're a hypocrite. You fail at debating intelligently, constructively or diplomatically.

Herewith the end of all attempts to engage in discussion with you.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't see where I failed to comply with your request for validation on my statements.

You asked for an example of an environmental lobby group. I provided one. You weren't satified, so I gave you six more. I also gave examples of how to find more info, by looking up proposed projects and you could find numerous articles about the unnamed "environmental group" that is fighting the efforts.

I will say that I probably could have used more tact in my replies but you put me on the defensive when you insinuated that just because I don't agree with you I must be a "Yokle" and made allegations that I was full of crap with your comment in itallics (bold in the quote)...

Anna Perenna said:
What's the matter - can't you come up with at least a few examples?

You seem so knowledgeable on the subject .... so very sure ....

Teach me

I took this as another jab at me as I was pulling my statements out of my ass. I definitely wasn't. I know how things work in the US as OS and RO both attested to.

I'm sorry if a conflict of styles happened or a missinterpretation of your intentions. I guess we are both a bit too emotional about this topic.

Back to the issue at hand, there is no "consensus" on man made global warming...

1. If by consensus you mean-there's totally NOT a consensus, you're exactly right. The list of scientists who've signed a petition stating their opposition to the ‘consensus’ is now 31,000 strong and growing...9000 of whom are PHD's. You can visit the site at Home - Global Warming Petition Project

2. Well, it's interesting then, that in the last 10 years, the temperature has remained steady, and in fact last year, declined. It almost seems like that 2 million degree burning ORB in the sky called...um, THE SUN...had something to do with the temperature on this planet!?!?! During the warmer '90's, solar flares were at their peak...over the past decade, solar activity has returned to normal. Let's talk about crops for a minute. Don't they grow BETTER in warmth? It seems to me there's not a lot of food growing in Antarctica. During the "Medieval Optimum Period" a time of unusual warmth in the Northern Hemisphere from 800-1300 AD, people prospered, because there was more FOOD. As for the "boiling oceans", scientists place 3500 temperature probes in the oceans to monitor just how hot the water is getting. Guess what they found? NO warming at all...in fact, they discovered slight cooling.

3. What I have against Al Gore is simply this: he's a fat, stinking hypocrite. We'll cover his energy gorging next time. For now, let's focus on his motives. There's a famous quote by Al that I've always loved; "I live a carbon-neutral life, and both of my businesses are carbon neutral." The fact is, he's not even on the same planet as carbon-neutral, but here's the real story. He tells us his conscience is clear because he buys "carbon offsets". What Gore doesn't say is that the "offsets" he buys are from his own company, GIM (Generation Investment Management). He's saving the planet by investing in his own company?

4. It's true that big-hearted billionaire Richard Branson pledged all the profits from his Virgin Aviation business for the next 10 years to go toward combating the most critical problem the world has ever faced, global warming. But instead of Branson sending $4 billion to send polar bears life preservers, refrigerating Greenland or saving endangered Pygmy tribes in New Guinea, he's simply investing the money in his new business venture, Virgin Fuel. Like Gore, it seems he's just found another way to enhance his own bank account.

Global Warming Petition Project

http://www.middlebury.net/op-ed/global-warming-01.html

http://www.heartland.org/NewYork08/newyork08.cfm

Attachments

• 93986f65ce24359874b6432530e62cf5.jpg
    93986f65ce24359874b6432530e62cf5.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 8
"This rubbish is designed to undermine action on global warming. Earth's orbital cycles are all taken into account in climate models. Earth has NOT significantly cooled since 1998. 1998, 2005 and 2007 were the 3 warmest years on record, with 1998 being very slightly warmer than the other two because it was an El Nino year while 2005, 2007 and 2008 were La Nina years. (El Nino and La Nina are natural oscillations in the temperature of the Pacific which are superposed on the human-induced global warming.)

Cheers,
Dr Mark Diesendorf
Institute of Environmental Studies
UNSW, Australia"

The phrase "global warming" isn't meant to be taken literally. The effects of "Global warming" (now referred to as climate change) will be extreme weather conditions (hot, cold, cyclones, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc)

Please educate yourselves.

Anna Perenna said:
"This rubbish is designed to undermine action on global warming. Earth's orbital cycles are all taken into account in climate models. Earth has NOT significantly cooled since 1998. 1998, 2005 and 2007 were the 3 warmest years on record, with 1998 being very slightly warmer than the other two because it was an El Nino year while 2005, 2007 and 2008 were La Nina years. (El Nino and La Nina are natural oscillations in the temperature of the Pacific which are superposed on the human-induced global warming.)

Cheers,
Dr Mark Diesendorf
Institute of Environmental Studies
UNSW, Australia"

The phrase "global warming" isn't meant to be taken literally. The effects of "Global warming" (now referred to as climate change) will be extreme weather conditions (hot, cold, cyclones, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc)

Please educate yourselves.

Funny how you chastised me for not doing your research for you, I cited many sources, you post one comment from one person, didn't link your source and I'm to take it at face value.

This means nothing. There is no definite proof of this, research shows that we've cooled the past decade and that one of the biggest global warming alarmist falsified several years of data.

Hahahaha.

ImWithStupid said:
Funny how you chastised me for not doing your research for you, I cited many sources, you post one comment from one person, didn't link your source and I'm to take it at face value.

This means nothing. There is no definite proof of this, research shows that we've cooled the past decade and that one of the biggest global warming alarmist falsified several years of data.

Hahahaha.

Thank you.

Man made "Global Warming" or "Climate Change" is a myth.

Please get a clue.

BrotherMan said:
Thank you.

Man made "Global Warming" or "Climate Change" is a myth.

Please get a clue.

I'm not saying the climate isn't changing, nor am I saying that there may be a slight effect from what people are doing, but to actually think that we can do anything to prevent the Earth from going through it's natural cycles of warming and cooling, is arrogant and will only ruin the economy of many countries in the world and limit advancement because too many resources will be wasted on a futile mission, pushed forward by people using it as a scam to make money.

Christ, there are many scientists with just as good, or better, historical data showing we're heading for a cooling cycle.

The Sun Also Sets

By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Thursday, February 07, 2008 4:20 PM PT
Climate Change: Not every scientist is part of Al Gore's mythical "consensus." Scientists worried about a new ice age seek funding to better observe something bigger than your SUV ? the sun.

Back in 1991, before Al Gore first shouted that the Earth was in the balance, the Danish Meteorological Institute released a study using data that went back centuries that showed that global temperatures closely tracked solar cycles.
To many, those data were convincing. Now, Canadian scientists are seeking additional funding for more and better "eyes" with which to observe our sun, which has a bigger impact on Earth's climate than all the tailpipes and smokestacks on our planet combined.
And they're worried about global cooling, not warming.
Kenneth Tapping, a solar researcher and project director for Canada's National Research Council, is among those looking at the sun for evidence of an increase in sunspot activity.
Solar activity fluctuates in an 11-year cycle. But so far in this cycle, the sun has been disturbingly quiet. The lack of increased activity could signal the beginning of what is known as a Maunder Minimum, an event which occurs every couple of centuries and can last as long as a century.
Such an event occurred in the 17th century. The observation of sunspots showed extraordinarily low levels of magnetism on the sun, with little or no 11-year cycle.
This solar hibernation corresponded with a period of bitter cold that began around 1650 and lasted, with intermittent spikes of warming, until 1715. Frigid winters and cold summers during that period led to massive crop failures, famine and death in Northern Europe.
Tapping reports no change in the sun's magnetic field so far this cycle and warns that if the sun remains quiet for another year or two, it may indicate a repeat of that period of drastic cooling of the Earth, bringing massive snowfall and severe weather to the Northern Hemisphere.
Tapping oversees the operation of a 60-year-old radio telescope that he calls a "stethoscope for the sun." But he and his colleagues need better equipment.
In Canada, where radio-telescopic monitoring of the sun has been conducted since the end of World War II, a new instrument, the next-generation solar flux monitor, could measure the sun's emissions more rapidly and accurately.
As we have noted many times, perhaps the biggest impact on the Earth's climate over time has been the sun.
For instance, researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Solar Research in Germany report the sun has been burning more brightly over the last 60 years, accounting for the 1 degree Celsius increase in Earth's temperature over the last 100 years.
R. Timothy Patterson, professor of geology and director of the Ottawa-Carleton Geoscience Center of Canada's Carleton University, says that "CO2 variations show little correlation with our planet's climate on long, medium and even short time scales."
Rather, he says, "I and the first-class scientists I work with are consistently finding excellent correlations between the regular fluctuations of the sun and earthly climate. This is not surprising. The sun and the stars are the ultimate source of energy on this planet."
Patterson, sharing Tapping's concern, says: "Solar scientists predict that, by 2020, the sun will be starting into its weakest Schwabe cycle of the past two centuries, likely leading to unusually cool conditions on Earth."
"Solar activity has overpowered any effect that CO2 has had before, and it most likely will again," Patterson says. "If we were to have even a medium-sized solar minimum, we could be looking at a lot more bad effects than 'global warming' would have had."
IBDeditorials.com: Editorials, Political Cartoons, and Polls from Investor's Business Daily -- The Sun Also Sets

Ali said:
Save the Polar Bears!!!!!!

Seriously. :(

Why? They aren't in danger. There are 5 times as many polar bears now than there was 35 years ago. Back in the 70's when scientists/alarmist were warning us about the coming ice age/global cooling. :rolleyes:

Either way, I'm taking steps to become more green and try to reduce my own carbon footprint. It won't kill me to be a little more conscience of the world around me.

I like nature, I like animals, and I like clean water and fresh air. If I can make a small contribution or a few sacrifices to help maintain that, I'm all for it.

Ali said:
Either way, I'm taking steps to become more green and try to reduce my own carbon footprint. It won't kill me to be a little more conscience of the world around me.

I like nature, I like animals, and I like clean water and fresh air. If I can make a small contribution or a few sacrifices to help maintain that, I'm all for it.

I agree we should continually move toward being more efficient, concervative and better stewards of our planet than has been done in the past, but to mandate things for the sake of a possible natural phenomena that will crush developing nations and cripple others, because of some idealology, is as careless as being wasteful.

ImWithStupid said:

Hahahaha.

I can only assume you are laughing because you're a fool.

It's a direct quote, from THE source. Dr. Mark Diesendorf is a highly regarded environmental scientist in Australia. He is actually doing the research as we have this pointless debate.

I recall talking to (Old Salt?) about the fact that you can't trust scientists in America because many of them obtain research grants from organisations with vested interests in the outcome of the research - thus rendering the 'information' corrupt.

Therefore, I'm not sure how valid your little petition can really be.

I suggest contacting Dr Diesendorf if you don't believe me. See what he thinks.

The saddest thing about this thread is that the topic was discussed over 5 years ago by scientists in Australia and the conclusion was made - climate change is real.

We are now debating adaptation vs mitigation / combinations of the two.

In other words, you are years behind.

Like I said, please hurry up and educate yourselves.

Back