GREAT recipes

manicmonday said:
Ohhhh, I hadn't thought about lobster in it. God I love sea food. I will try that as well. When I lived in Texas near the beach, sea food was aplenty and it was hard moving back to hell.

Did you try the sandwhich? I was going to say, if you try turkey bacon, sprinkle some black peppercorn on it just because it's part of the flavor enhancement. It mixes with the avacodo and yumm

And we haven't had updated pics of the baby.............................
No I haven't tried the sandwich. Of course I went grocery shopping today....this is why I need to make lists. Oi.

Actually I have brand new pics of the little one. I think I'll do that right now. :D

Oh I know what you mean about seafood. I'm an addict. I've considered buying a shack in main and just trapping lobsters all summer long. I suppose I'd have to leave during the winter. God I hate the cold.

angie said:
No I haven't tried the sandwich. Of course I went grocery shopping today....this is why I need to make lists. Oi.

Actually I have brand new pics of the little one. I think I'll do that right now. :D

Oh I know what you mean about seafood. I'm an addict. I've considered buying a shack in main and just trapping lobsters all summer long. I suppose I'd have to leave during the winter. God I hate the cold.

I too love seafood anyway I can get it...I love talapia dredged in a flour/parmesan cheese mixture and then fried...its not as heavy as the usual fried fish.

I also love how here they put shrimp in a batter and then roll in coconut afterward and then fry, I had never had that until I moved to Florida. They serve it with a hot mango chutney.

I am definetly going to try your seafood concotion but I think I might also add some spinach and as you mentioned some lobster and crab. I love scallops, a friend makes them wrapped in bacon...yummy you can eat those like potato chips.

Beer Battered Deer Butt.
Ingredients:
One hind quarter(hung outside at readily accessable location)
One electric skilet set to high
One sharp knife
Many cold beers
Cut pieces of deerbutt about one inch thick and semi bite size. flop em into the already hot electric skillet dump some beer on it (a little bit of oil is good too) cook em and flip em till they look good enough to eat. stad em with yer knife and enjoy. If your one of those fancy ****ers you can add spices and stuff, but it's really not neccessary. if you have pets keep an eye on your meat!:cool:

Enchiladas for "white" folk:

Filling:

• [ ]2 lbs hamburger (90% or better)
    [ ]1 lb cubed or shredded Velveeta™ cheese
    [ ]1 medium onion
    [ ]1/2 cup enchilada sauce (see below)
    [ ]1 pkg Kraft Mexican shredded cheese blend
    [ ]1 pkg burrito sized flour tortillas
Sauce

• [ ]2 cloves garlic, minced
    [ ]1 teaspoon minced onion
    [ ]1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    [ ]2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
    [ ]1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    [ ]1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    [ ]1/8 teaspoon salt
    [ ]1/4 teaspoon ground comino (cumin to you whites)
    [ ]1 teaspoon dried parsley
    [ ]1/4 cup salsa (I use Calvin & Cleo's for this recipe)
    [ ]1 can of tomato juice
You'll wanna start with your sauce because it will require a fairly long simmer.

Basically you pour your tomato juice in a sauce pan and combine all the other sauce ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, stirring with a whisk occasionally.

Next you work on the filling by cooking your hamburger, add diced onion until fully cooked/sauteed, drain any oil, and add 1/2 cup of your sauce mix to the hamburger..place in a large bowl..

Next take your cubed or shredded velveeta and mix it into the hamburger mixture until the cheese is melted down and now integrated into the meat. You don't have to use the full pound of velveeta, but some people like them super super cheesy, I usually only use about 1/3 of a velveeta brick.

Scoop a decent amount onto a heated flour tortilla and roll into burritos, you should get about 8 of these with 2 lb of hamburger.

By this time, your sauce should be ready to go, take about another 1/2 cup of the sauce and pour it on the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan. place your burritos in the pan, I can usually get 6 on top, then 2 side by side on the bottom, should fill the entire pan..

Next, pour the remaining sauce mix evenly over the burritos, and cover with the shredded cheese blend.

Place in a 350 oven for 30 minutes, and enjoy !!

Lethalfind said:
Why it gotta be for white folk?
Simple, I'd post an authentic recipie, but people might not like AUTHENTIC. I have noticed a VERY distinct taste difference in what I call mexican food, and what whites call mexican food, since I have the advantage of being both breeds, I can usually tweek ANY given hispanic dish to make the flavors more suited for American culture.

phreakwars said:
Simple, I'd post an authentic recipie, but people might not like AUTHENTIC. I have noticed a VERY distinct taste difference in what I call mexican food, and what whites call mexican food, since I have the advantage of being both breeds, I can usually tweek ANY given hispanic dish to make the flavors more suited for American culture.

I know what you mean, is the more authentic recipe hotter?

I would be interested in seeing both actually.
I use similar stuff for my enchiladas however I don't use Velveeta. I actually prefer pulled pork or beef for the filling but hamburger is alot easier.

Do you have a good recipe for chicken enchiladas? I like the white sauce for them but I have never found one I like to make at home. A friend who is a chef told me she uses chicken stock and cream cheese w/ onions and green chilis but won't give me the recipe...bitch, lol.

My Uncle on my wife's side loves mexican food (no doubt living in Cal) but only goes to one resteraunt down there because he say's they don't taste authentic. The one he does'nt go to but we went for a reception was fantastic and you can't get that flavor up here. but the place he called authentic used just brown gravy on the buritto I had. What's up with that? Or did I just get the wrong order?

Lethalfind said:
I know what you mean, is the more authentic recipe hotter?
No, just more complicated to make, it involves using one of those stone grinders

I would be interested in seeing both actually.
I use similar stuff for my enchiladas however I don't use Velveeta. I actually prefer pulled pork or beef for the filling but hamburger is alot easier.
Like I said... it's for white people..

Do you have a good recipe for chicken enchiladas? I like the white sauce for them but I have never found one I like to make at home. A friend who is a chef told me she uses chicken stock and cream cheese w/ onions and green chilis but won't give me the recipe...bitch, lol.
Well sure... try

• [ ]1 jar of Ragu Roasted Garlic Parmesan or Classic Alfredo pasta sauce <---THAT'S CHEATING :D
    [ ]1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    [ ]1 tablespoon dried parsley
    [ ]1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    [ ]1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    [ ]1 tablespoon chili powder
    [ ]1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
    [ ]1 clove garlic, minced
Make a sauce out of all the ingredients (I'm sure you can figure that out without directions) and mix it with your chunked chicken, and fill into burritos and use the red sauce for the topping.

Should turn out just fine, if it seems too watery (rarely happens) when you mix it, then add more cheese. Too thick... just a bit of milk !!

snafu said:
My Uncle on my wife's side loves mexican food (no doubt living in Cal) but only goes to one resteraunt down there because he say's they don't taste authentic. The one he does'nt go to but we went for a reception was fantastic and you can't get that flavor up here. but the place he called authentic used just brown gravy on the buritto I had. What's up with that? Or did I just get the wrong order?
No, the brown gravy is probably the authentic sauce, like I said, most people can't really stand the authentic taste, they are used to the red looking stuff.

Here's another one of my favorite Paula recipes.

4 medium-sized russet or other baking potatoes, well scrubbed
12 ounces bacon, chopped
8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
1/4 cup brandy
1 tablespoon green peppercorns, drenched in cold water
1 cup cream
Salt and pepper
Butter, for topping

Potato: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. ***** potatoes with a fork and bake until soft, about 1 hour.

Sauce: Saute bacon, add button mushrooms and cook until golden brown. Pour brandy first into a measuring cup (for safety) and then into the pan and carefully ignite with a long match. After the alcohol burns off and the flame has died, stir in the peppercorns. Stir in the cream and heat through, without boiling. Salt and pepper, to taste.

Cut open baked potatoes. Top each with a spoonful of butter, then cover generously with sauce.

We went to Olive Garden the other day, I had Shrimp and crab ravioli in a seafood sauce...it was WONDERFUL.

I bought some already made Lobster ravioli at Costco thinking that if I made up some alfredo sauce and mixed it with the lobster bisque that I also buy at Costco, that would make a convincing substitute. I also use this lobster bisque to pour over white fish. Its very rich but OH so yummy.

Lethalfind said:
We went to Olive Garden the other day, I had Shrimp and crab ravioli in a seafood sauce...it was WONDERFUL.

I bought some already made Lobster ravioli at Costco thinking that if I made up some alfredo sauce and mixed it with the lobster bisque that I also buy at Costco, that would make a convincing substitute. I also use this lobster bisque to pour over white fish. Its very rich but OH so yummy.

Anything that has to do with lobster or crab has to be Yummy! Infact any crustration is yummy.

snafu said:
Anything that has to do with lobster or crab has to be Yummy! Infact any crustration is yummy.

I was watching Rachel Rays $40 a day show where she tours a town and trys to get through one day on 40 bucks...she was in Fort Lauderdale and had the most dreamy omlette made with crab...oh my god did it look like a dream. I'm going to get the recipe off www.foodnetwork.com, thats a great source for recipes.

Lethalfind said:
I was watching Rachel Rays $40 a day show where she tours a town and trys to get through one day on 40 bucks...she was in Fort Lauderdale and had the most dreamy omlette made with crab...oh my god did it look like a dream. I'm going to get the recipe off www.foodnetwork.com, thats a great source for recipes.

I love that show, but I hate that they act like every one spend 40 bucks per day on vacation just for food. I'm all about spending money, but if you have children with you, forget about it.

That said, the omlet sounds great.

snafu said:
Infact any crustration is yummy.

A bit on crustaceans:

These animals belong to the phylum Arthropoda (which includes crustaceans, insects and spiders). Crustaceans include lobsters, crayfish, prawns,crabs, prawns, seed shrimps, amphipods, isopods, ostracods, barnacles, slaters, pill bugs. These animals are among the most widespread and diverse group of invertebrates, and the larger malacostracan crustaceans (crabs, lobsters, prawns) are economically valuable. Although originally aquatic, many crustaceans, such as slaters and beachhoppers, are adapted to life on land.

I'm bettin' ya never ate barnacles, slaters or pill bugs.

hugo said:
A bit on crustaceans:

I'm bettin' ya never ate barnacles, slaters or pill bugs.

Okay I take that back. :eek:

Anybody got any good recipes for smoked salmon? I've only used one in all these years and I'm looking for a better one.

snafu said:
Okay I take that back. :eek:

Anybody got any good recipes for smoked salmon? I've only used one in all these years and I'm looking for a better one.

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon crushed black peppercorns
2 large salmon fillets or sides, pin bones removed

In a bowl, mix together salt, sugar, brown sugar and peppercorns. Spread extra-wide aluminum foil a little longer than the length of the fish and top with an equally long layer of plastic wrap. Sprinkle 1/3 of the rub onto the plastic. Lay 1 side of the fish skin down onto the rub. Sprinkle 1/3 of the rub onto the flesh of the salmon. Place second side of salmon, flesh down onto the first side. Use the remaining rub to cover the skin on the top piece. Fold plastic over to cover then close edges of foil together and crimp tightly around the fish.

Place wrapped fish onto a plank or sheet pan and top with another plank or pan. Weigh with a heavy phone book or a brick or two and refrigerate for 12 hours. Flip the fish over and refrigerate another 12 hours. Some juice will leak out during the process so make sure there's a place for the runoff to gather.
Unwrap fish and rinse off the cure with cold water. Pat salmon with paper towels then place in a cool, dry place (not the refrigerator) until the surface of the fish is dry and matte-like, 1 to 3 hours depending on humidity. A fan may be used to speed the process.

Smoke fish (see Note) over smoldering hardwood chips or sawdust, keeping the temperature inside the smoker between 150 degrees F and 160 degrees F until the thickest part of the fish registers 150 degrees. Serve immediately or cool to room temperature, wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to 3 days.

I got this off of Food Network about a year ago and I love it.

Homar Simpson voice mmmmmm Salmon............

manicmonday said:
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon crushed black peppercorns
2 large salmon fillets or sides, pin bones removed

In a bowl, mix together salt, sugar, brown sugar and peppercorns. Spread extra-wide aluminum foil a little longer than the length of the fish and top with an equally long layer of plastic wrap. Sprinkle 1/3 of the rub onto the plastic. Lay 1 side of the fish skin down onto the rub. Sprinkle 1/3 of the rub onto the flesh of the salmon. Place second side of salmon, flesh down onto the first side. Use the remaining rub to cover the skin on the top piece. Fold plastic over to cover then close edges of foil together and crimp tightly around the fish.

Place wrapped fish onto a plank or sheet pan and top with another plank or pan. Weigh with a heavy phone book or a brick or two and refrigerate for 12 hours. Flip the fish over and refrigerate another 12 hours. Some juice will leak out during the process so make sure there's a place for the runoff to gather.
Unwrap fish and rinse off the cure with cold water. Pat salmon with paper towels then place in a cool, dry place (not the refrigerator) until the surface of the fish is dry and matte-like, 1 to 3 hours depending on humidity. A fan may be used to speed the process.

Smoke fish (see Note) over smoldering hardwood chips or sawdust, keeping the temperature inside the smoker between 150 degrees F and 160 degrees F until the thickest part of the fish registers 150 degrees. Serve immediately or cool to room temperature, wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to 3 days.

I got this off of Food Network about a year ago and I love it.

Homar Simpson voice mmmmmm Salmon............

That sounds pretty good. But I like my salmon cooked almost like candy. Maybe I'll try this and cut into 1 inch pieces like I normaly do.

Here is a popular jailhouse recipe.
scavenge entire contents of trays served for lunch and dinner. (depending on how much you intend to share the amounts will very).
chop everything up into little pieces with whatever you have to cut with(not a lot of cutlery to be found in jail)
place contents into large plastic bag
add 1 packet of ramen noodles per inmate to be fed( the noodles should be smashed up pretty good cuz your gonna eat this with a spoon)
mix all ingrdients together inside of the bag and squeeze the air out making the bag a nice "pie shape".
finally add hot water and allow to sit for five minutes.
Dip some of this **** out and chow down cuz its a flavorful adventure everytime.
Also you can add a little bit of zip by mixing chili powder, ketchup and jelly together to make a tasty BBQ sauce.
Tip: use the same container that you mix the sauce in to serve the "swell" out of the bag. bon apetite!