Read any good books lately?

Nothing wrong with a light read every once in a while. For science fiction I recommend Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter of Mars series.

I'm a libertarian, but I never could stand Rand. I prefer Milton Friedman's non-fiction for real world solutions, Rand was a hopeless utopian with a rather dictatorial personality.

hugo said:
Nothing wrong with a light read every once in a while. For science fiction I recommend Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter of Mars series.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

YES!!!!

One day whilst moping about the house, wishing for good book..Mum said, "why don't you try your Dad's books, these ones...". I said, "ewwwwww! Science Fiction!" But I was desperate....so I delved in.

I now OWN that wonderful first edition set. I so loved the Mars series! Ras Thavas! Thuvia! Ohhhh...Barsoom.....

Gotta do it again! Heck...they're just right over there! I need to re-read them for the 17th time! :)

skategreen said:
If you insist, I will accept this as your excuse for your comments.

Just because you read one or two "as a kid" :) and didn't like them, and just because ADULTS are reading books ostensibly written for children, does not mean IQ genocide is perpetrated.

Reading does not lower IQ, unless one is reading above one's reading level, and is simply drowning in words they don't know the definition of. This makes one feel thick headed and dull, and does lower the IQ.

One who reads a wide variety of material tends to be much more interesting than one who's reading track is a narrow road. Don't you agree? How long do you spend discussing books with someone who's shelves are only full of Harlequin Romance or Antique Collecting in Lower Connecticut?

You loved Ayn Rand, so you and I could sit through several pots of tea on a sunny afternoon. "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" sit in first edition hard cover glory on the top shelf of my most favored book shelf. ... Right there with all three volumes of the Collected Works of Robert W. Service, Mark Twain, and 3 volumes of antique clock repair. ...ABOVE my cherished volumes of "The Egg and I", "The Secret Garden", "A Little Princess", "Cheaper by the Dozen", "Little Women", "Trustee from the Toolroom"...and "One Fish Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish"....
you gettin my drift?

HP is popular for a reason.

so take it back...MALFOY!!!

OMG I read the "egg and I" and "Cheaper by the Dozen" along with "bells on tier toes" every year!! I also still crave the once a year read of one or two "Nacy Drew" books and often pick up the Little House on the Prarie books in mid winter. My favorites are the Boxcar Children though. I couldn't get into HP though. Not my type of read. Make cute movies, but i can't read them.

tizz said:
OMG I read the "egg and I" and "Cheaper by the Dozen" along with "bells on tier toes" every year!! I also still crave the once a year read of one or two "Nacy Drew" books and often pick up the Little House on the Prarie books in mid winter. My favorites are the Boxcar Children though. I couldn't get into HP though. Not my type of read. Make cute movies, but i can't read them.

Oh Tizz! Wonderful!! I don't know ANYONE who read "The Egg and I"!!!!! Did you know it inspired the "Ma and Pa Kettle" movies? Have you read "Onions in the Stew"? I have that one too..it's great! I have BOTH Cheaper and Bells on their toes! Don't you just love those two? Wow. Such uplifting reads. My favorite Little House re-read is "The Long Winter". Oh, actually that tied with "Farmer Boy". the descriptions of food in that one always gets me. (sends me to the kitchen!!) My daughter agrees!

I like the Boxcar children...I only found those when I was in my 30's!! We got them in for a new reading program at the school and I read a ton of kids books I'd somehow missed out on. (probably cuz the town I grew up in was pop. 2000 and our library reflected that) ...

If you liked those...here's my recs to you:

Pollyanna - a book to re-read 30 times. (I don't have a copy, each one I buy I end up giving away)

Mama's Bank account by Kathryn Forbes

Everything Nevil Shute ever wrote - but especially especially, "A Town Like Alice" (I would SEND you a copy of it if you gave me your address) and "Trustee from the Toolroom". RIDICULOUS title, but a wonderful read...oh simply the best!!!

I never read the Nancy Drew, but was hooked on the Black Stallion books as a kidster. Oh, those and all the Childhood of Famous Americans series!

Somedays...I wish I was a librarian...I love sharing my favorite reads!

OH I LOVE pollyanna, both the book and the flick (I still ask for old disney flicks for christmas) I just recently took "onions in teh stew" from my mom and nearly wet my pants laughing in parts!! My favotie LH books are "the long winter" (I always try to make maple sugar candies int eh snow every year) and "Little house in teh big Woods" and "On the Shores of Silver Lake" I remember when I first read them I was so dissapointed that they did not reflect the show (more that the show did not reflect the books I should say) I have read a couple to my daughter allready and started her on the young readers edditions. SHe loves them. I used them with my preschool class to teach a bit of history. I have not read "Mama's bank acount" but I am sure we have it around. I collect original Golden books especially the Eloise Wilkins books. I wasn't as much into the Black Stallion books. I grew up reading whatever was inteh house and since my mom can read five books in a week, it ran teh gamut (Been reading Stephen King since I was 11 and VC Andrew's since I was 13) The one thing I NEVER got into as a kid was "Judy Bloom" except of course for "Forever" only because it was so naughty LOL

tizz said:
OH I LOVE pollyanna, both the book and the flick (I still ask for old disney flicks for christmas) I just recently took "onions in teh stew" from my mom and nearly wet my pants laughing in parts!! My favotie LH books are "the long winter" (I always try to make maple sugar candies int eh snow every year) and "Little house in teh big Woods" and "On the Shores of Silver Lake" I remember when I first read them I was so dissapointed that they did not reflect the show (more that the show did not reflect the books I should say) I have read a couple to my daughter allready and started her on the young readers edditions. SHe loves them. I used them with my preschool class to teach a bit of history. I have not read "Mama's bank acount" but I am sure we have it around. I collect original Golden books especially the Eloise Wilkins books. I wasn't as much into the Black Stallion books. I grew up reading whatever was inteh house and since my mom can read five books in a week, it ran teh gamut (Been reading Stephen King since I was 11 and VC Andrew's since I was 13) The one thing I NEVER got into as a kid was "Judy Bloom" except of course for "Forever" only because it was so naughty LOL

Gawd Tizz...yer killin me! I never read "forever", but I read "Are you There God, it's Me Margaret" and it was a pivotal book for me as an 11 year old. I haven't thought of that in years...jesus h. ...I was very sheltered!

I read every Roald Dahl book to my daughter, and bought her the best hard cover library a kid ever had. She cherishes her books and now tells people about how her Mum "didn't buy her barbies, but bought her science kits and cool books, fossils and skeleton keys"...she's PROUD of it, and me for doing it... that's so damn coooooool!

OMG I forgot about Margaret LOL Ya that was a good one!!! I am the same with my daughter. It's all about arts and science (she has a microscope she won't touch for years LOL) The caterpillars I got just popped out of their coccoons today and are no wPainted Lady Butterflies. I will be teaching Mad Science in after school programs come October and I CAN'T wait!!! You KNOW I will be doing every experiment with my own daughter LOL I was banned from watching Mr. Wizard and 3-2-1- Contact as a kid because of all the messes in teh kitchen and because I nearly burned the house down making a fire with my mom's pocket magnifyer. EEEP!

OK my absolute all time can't beat it, still read it children's book is.... "Big Susan" by Elizabeth Orton Jones. Just came back into print after nearly 50 years (My copy is a first edition :p) LOL If you know a little girl GET IT FOR HER NOW!!!!! Before christmans ! It's an absolute must for any little girl to read EVERY christmas!!!

Big Susan Clicky

tizz said:
OMG I forgot about Margaret LOL Ya that was a good one!!! I am the same with my daughter. It's all about arts and science (she has a microscope she won't touch for years LOL) The caterpillars I got just popped out of their coccoons today and are no wPainted Lady Butterflies. I will be teaching Mad Science in after school programs come October and I CAN'T wait!!! You KNOW I will be doing every experiment with my own daughter LOL I was banned from watching Mr. Wizard and 3-2-1- Contact as a kid because of all the messes in teh kitchen and because I nearly burned the house down making a fire with my mom's pocket magnifyer. EEEP!

OK my absolute all time can't beat it, still read it children's book is.... "Big Susan" by Elizabeth Orton Jones. Just came back into print after nearly 50 years (My copy is a first edition :p) LOL If you know a little girl GET IT FOR HER NOW!!!!! Before christmans ! It's an absolute must for any little girl to read EVERY christmas!!!

Big Susan Clicky

I will check it out myself. I love a good children's book!

...me...uh..I once spilled about a quart of hot wax all over Mum's stippled linoleum floor...I was attempting to make candles and natually I'd waited until she was away grocery shopping.

We also boiled marbles and hucked them with velocity onto the floor to see them crack open, they were "cool". and it was stupidly dangerous as they would shatter!

You sound like a great Mum!

OMG the boiled marbles. I think I still have a few scares on my fet from that one. You can have lots of fun emptying all the powder out of caps and burying M80's EEEEEP How did I survive my childhood anyway...

As for Big Dudan, order it today I promise you aon't regret it. I can't imagine my childhood without that book. It is one of my prized possesions, I would never part with it, (even when offere $500 bux for it) Sure I could get a copy today for $13 but I just can't part with my copy and it's nearly deteriorated duct jacket

OK I just have to ask (simply because the movie is on PBS at the moment) Has anyone ever read "Aunti Mame" or "Around the World with Aunti Mame" by Patrick Dennis? OMG if you haven't I totally suggest it. FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY!!! I still can't tell what is real and what is made up. Ther is NO way it can ALL be real.

Remember to LIVE...LIVE....LIVE!!!!!

skategreen said:
One who reads a wide variety of material tends to be much more interesting than one who's reading track is a narrow road. Don't you agree? How long do you spend discussing books with someone who's shelves are only full of Harlequin Romance or Antique Collecting in Lower Connecticut?

You loved Ayn Rand, so you and I could sit through several pots of tea on a sunny afternoon. "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" sit in first edition hard cover glory on the top shelf of my most favored book shelf. ... Right there with all three volumes of the Collected Works of Robert W. Service, Mark Twain, and 3 volumes of antique clock repair. ...ABOVE my cherished volumes of "The Egg and I", "The Secret Garden", "A Little Princess", "Cheaper by the Dozen", "Little Women", "Trustee from the Toolroom"...and "One Fish Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish"....
you gettin my drift?

I've read tons of different genres, including Little Women, the Christy books, old Latin texts (man, did that one take me forever. That was a brush up on my Latin.), Mark Twain, Meditations from Marcus Areilus, and I still cherish my Brother's Grimm volume. I shudder to think of the stage I went through with Harlequin Romance (that was short, I assure you), and indeed have to say that I have a wide selection in my mini-library. I hate to think of how many times I have had to carry boxes of books out to my garage to make way for newer tomes. War and Peace left me stumbling back at the Russian humor, and some classics had me wondering what publishers were on. I didn

Well then, RUSE, the reality is not that HP lowers the IQ, just that it is not your cup of tea. I didn't like teh books either, just thought the moies were cute. That doesn't mean I think everyone who DOES enjoy them is a fool. BIG difference. Careful what you say around here or someone WILL rip you a new one!

I'll remember that one, Tizz. Thanks for the advice, ;) I'll try to make myself more clear next time.

tizz said:
OK I just have to ask (simply because the movie is on PBS at the moment) Has anyone ever read "Aunti Mame" or "Around the World with Aunti Mame" by Patrick Dennis? OMG if you haven't I totally suggest it. FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY!!! I still can't tell what is real and what is made up. Ther is NO way it can ALL be real.

Remember to LIVE...LIVE....LIVE!!!!!

ohhh it's been a LONG time since I read 'Auntie Mame'....I recall that I did enjoy it....but it wasn't one I've owned, hence, haven't re-read it. I read it during a long spate of bio reading...read the David Niven books at that time..and finally made it through "the rise and fall of the third reich" ...

I'll add it to my list of Tizz's pics to read/re-read!

(Right now on my bookshelf I've 7 books I'm in the middle of...unusual, usually I stay with one. No wonder I've been a bit fuddled as of late!)

Ruse said:
By the way... What kind of tea?

Your pick my dear...

Tetley Classic Blend

Twinings Earl Grey - loose leaf

Celestial Seasonings Cinnamon Apple Spice, Cranberry Apple Zinger, Blueberry,

Alvita Chinese Green Tea (loose leaf)

Ombili Rooibos Tea (good for digestion)

With or without honey?

skategreen said:
Your pick my dear...

Tetley Classic Blend

Twinings Earl Grey - loose leaf

Celestial Seasonings Cinnamon Apple Spice, Cranberry Apple Zinger, Blueberry,

Alvita Chinese Green Tea (loose leaf)

Ombili Rooibos Tea (good for digestion)

With or without honey?

I drink tea constantly, and so it's gotten to the point I drink most all kinds in a rotation, XD, though I am quite partial to Chai and Green. Usually I'll drink chai when I'm reading. (Pot tea I will not go for, though). I'll take Earl Grey, without honey.

I just finished "The Big Bad Wolf" and "London Bridges" by James Patterson. Great reads. Gonna pick up the latest in the series "Mary, Mary" if I can get my hands on it. Highly recommend the books. But you have to start at the beginning of the series. (Same series "Kiss the Girls" and "Along Came a Spider" were based on).

Just got finished reading "The Lives of John Lennon." Kind of an old book but it's actually quite enlightening on what kind of life he lived as a child all the way through the end of his life. I recomend it.

Back